Need opinion- is this legit SD pearly gates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need opinion- is this legit SD pearly gates

Can anyone confirm if this is a genuine SD pearly gates? The SD engraving on the baseplate is either not there or eroded away. So wasn't sure if the PGBJ sticker was original or added after the fact. It's older as it doesn't have the white logo on top.

Re: Need opinion- is this legit SD pearly gates

unless its an old custom shop pg or a pg pull from something, id be skeptical. pg have 4 cond wiring stock and short legs.

the engraving will not erode away like that, it was a plain base plate

Comment

Agree. I’m no expert, but I have a JB from that “winder’s initials” era and it has the logo on the baseplate.

This is mine:

Click image for larger version

Name:	12B4951B-2564-4530-AD24-C0E19D7162A8.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	5818651

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
        unless its an old custom shop pg or a pg pull from something, id be skeptical. pg have 4 cond wiring stock and short legs.

the engraving will not erode away like that, it was a plain base plate
        Could it be the the engraving didn't stamp though, I see some with part of the engraving not there. Like how the words pickups is kind of missing in the above pick.

Comment

Have you tested it with a meter yet? What does it read?
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

It looks like an old 59 with a PG sticker. I have a first run Seymour-wound PG and the baseplate stamp is weak like that (can’t even read “Seymour Duncan”, only “Pickups” is legible) and I have a PGBJ from later with the Made In America plate, but 59’s are the ones with no logo, tape wraps over the baseplate and single conductor braided wire.

Comment

There does appear to be a logo lightly stamped into the baseplate, very faintly. This would be from the '83-'85/6 period.
              Last edited by Masta' C; 04-06-2020, 12:43 AM.

Comment

Here’s a similar era 59 (top) and PG (bottom). With another PG no label in the middle (which I believe I bought from Masta’C; note I stand corrected, the middle PG doesn’t have a logo on the bobbin, but PGs are 4-conductor stock and only 59’s seem to have the tape wrap onto the baseplate)

Comment

Agreed, the single-conductor wiring is the oddball feature here, but it certainly could have been ordered that way. It doesn't appear to have been modified and I doubt it was mislabeled.

Comment

Originally posted by Whitenoise View Post
                    Can anyone confirm if this is a genuine SD pearly gates?
                    yes

Comment

Originally posted by GrilledChickenSalad View Post
                      yes
                      It’s not a Pearly Gates. It might be a Duncan, but not a PG

Comment

Chances are, it IS a Pearly Gates, but was ordered with single-conductor wire. We call those requests "shop floor custom" now, but Seymour was offering mods long before that was a thing.

Any chance of getting a DCR from it?

Comment

if the dcr is about right and there is a blue sharpie mark on the magnet, then id guess its a pg

Comment

You know - I'm gonna take another angle on this:

First - it looks old. If it is "faked" someone went to a lot of trouble. The dark black and electrical tape look a little shaky. But again - old. Could have been a custom order with cover etc...a long time ago.

Next - if you are thinking g of buying, how much? This is important!

Finally - if you own it already, and I'm guessing you do...who cares?

Yeah - I get it. You want a PG. But...how about loading it up, and giving it a sonic spin and let your ears decide. What if it is THE most angelic toneful thing you have ever heard - But it's a 59???

Who cares? Roll with it. What if you DON'T like it and it was an unprovable, but original prototype for the Rev. Billy G himself? Can't prove it, and you don't like it. So what? Move on...
                            Originally posted by Bad City
                            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

In case anyone is still interested, the verdict is that it is a legit SD as the engraving is the big S without made in America. It just didn't show in the pic due to the lighting. As for the single conductor gray wire vs the 4 conductor black wire, I've seen other PG's (80s version at least) with the single conductor gray wire. Also as to the 59's only having the black tape wrapping onto the baseplate, I've seen other models with black tape including alnico II pro's and PG's.

Comment

Working...
                              X