Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 34 of 34

Thread: Incoming ngd guild starfire v

  1. #21
    Mojo's Minions ItsaBass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    12,205

    Default Re: Incoming ngd guild starfire v

    My "vintage" commentary is not really directed at you, having bought the guitar at a significant discount. It's more directed at those who buy these at full retail. I think the $1,300 price area is out of line for these import Guilds. I've played them, and IMO the build quality does not match the price point. It's not bad, but it also isn't great. Spend $1,300 on a vintage example, and you have a player guitar cosmetically...but at least it's a finely built instrument, and always will be. Old Guilds are just as good as old Gibsons, and they stayed that way through the decades, unlike Gibsons. Up until they went import, there were no "good periods and bad periods" at Guild. Even the U.S.A. made Fender owned years were great IME.
    Quote Originally Posted by LesStrat View Post
    Yogi Berra was correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by JOLLY View Post
    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

  2. #22
    Mojo's Minions
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    In a Studio with your Mom
    Posts
    5,925

    Default Re: Incoming ngd guild starfire v

    Quote Originally Posted by Mincer View Post
    What company owns Guild these days?
    Cordoba
    ďFor me, when everything goes wrong Ė thatís when adventure starts.Ē Yvonne Chouinard

  3. #23
    Mojo's Minions
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    In a Studio with your Mom
    Posts
    5,925

    Default Re: Incoming ngd guild starfire v

    Quote Originally Posted by silvertonebetty View Post
    So I found a smoking deal on old new stock starfire v . Originally $2570 cad and got it for under $1200 cad shipped. I later found it hung on a wall for 3 years. I guess thatís why it was so cheap . But now to wait it for to ship .

    I have wanted one of these for years so Iím pretty pleased


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Love it -I have a Starfire 5 and had a 3 before. They are great guitars -the only thing I would check more carefully than normal is for burrs or pinching in the saddles with the Bigsby -easy to clean up yourself or have a qualified local guy tune in the Bigsby.

    Those burst buckers are a nice mix of humbucker smooth and clearer top end.

    I'm held up on getting the newer Starfire 6 and the and their new P90 loaded guitar -hope to have it soon.
    ďFor me, when everything goes wrong Ė thatís when adventure starts.Ē Yvonne Chouinard

  4. #24
    Mojo's Minions ItsaBass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    12,205

    Default Re: Incoming ngd guild starfire v

    Quote Originally Posted by NegativeEase View Post
    Love it -I have a Starfire 5 and had a 3 before. They are great guitars -the only thing I would check more carefully than normal is for burrs or pinching in the saddles with the Bigsby -easy to clean up yourself or have a qualified local guy tune in the Bigsby.

    Those burst buckers are a nice mix of humbucker smooth and clearer top end.

    I'm held up on getting the newer Starfire 6 and the and their new P90 loaded guitar -hope to have it soon.
    They do look good. I wish they'd put out the T-100D Slim Jim, though. Single coil version of the Starfire. My '68 is one of the finest axes I've ever played.
    Quote Originally Posted by LesStrat View Post
    Yogi Berra was correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by JOLLY View Post
    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

  5. #25
    Mojo's Minions
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    In a Studio with your Mom
    Posts
    5,925

    Default Re: Incoming ngd guild starfire v

    Quote Originally Posted by ItsaBass View Post
    They do look good. I wish they'd put out the T-100D Slim Jim, though. Single coil version of the Starfire. My '68 is one of the finest axes I've ever played.
    Love those, I almost got a 60s TD100 at a guitar show last year -beautiful, but the seller was a bit high
    ďFor me, when everything goes wrong Ė thatís when adventure starts.Ē Yvonne Chouinard

  6. #26
    Tone Member silvertonebetty's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    250

    Default Re: Incoming ngd guild starfire v

    Quote Originally Posted by ItsaBass View Post
    My "vintage" commentary is not really directed at you, having bought the guitar at a significant discount. It's more directed at those who buy these at full retail. I think the $1,300 price area is out of line for these import Guilds. I've played them, and IMO the build quality does not match the price point. It's not bad, but it also isn't great. Spend $1,300 on a vintage example, and you have a player guitar cosmetically...but at least it's a finely built instrument, and always will be. Old Guilds are just as good as old Gibsons, and they stayed that way through the decades, unlike Gibsons. Up until they went import, there were no "good periods and bad periods" at Guild. Even the U.S.A. made Fender owned years were great IME.
    O I get yeah now . Yeah why buy an import if for a few bucks more you can buy the real deal

    Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

  7. #27
    Tone Member silvertonebetty's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    250

    Default Re: Incoming ngd guild starfire v

    Quote Originally Posted by ItsaBass View Post
    My "vintage" commentary is not really directed at you, having bought the guitar at a significant discount. It's more directed at those who buy these at full retail. I think the $1,300 price area is out of line for these import Guilds. I've played them, and IMO the build quality does not match the price point. It's not bad, but it also isn't great. Spend $1,300 on a vintage example, and you have a player guitar cosmetically...but at least it's a finely built instrument, and always will be. Old Guilds are just as good as old Gibsons, and they stayed that way through the decades, unlike Gibsons. Up until they went import, there were no "good periods and bad periods" at Guild. Even the U.S.A. made Fender owned years were great IME.
    I know they are bringing guild back to the states. I don't see no reason why at $2500 the can't be USA made . Hopefully soon they will bring everything back to the usa. Like at 1500 I probably would have pass lol . My friend has a 60s solid body guild he got for $40

    Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

  8. #28
    Tone Member silvertonebetty's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    250

    Default Re: Incoming ngd guild starfire v

    Quote Originally Posted by NegativeEase View Post
    Love it -I have a Starfire 5 and had a 3 before. They are great guitars -the only thing I would check more carefully than normal is for burrs or pinching in the saddles with the Bigsby -easy to clean up yourself or have a qualified local guy tune in the Bigsby.

    Those burst buckers are a nice mix of humbucker smooth and clearer top end.

    I'm held up on getting the newer Starfire 6 and the and their new P90 loaded guitar -hope to have it soon.
    I'd wait if you have the cash. I know they are talking about bringing more models to the states.
    And I like a smooth low end like sd sethlover and the high of a good old gretsch
    Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

  9. #29
    Tone Member silvertonebetty's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    250

    Default Re: Incoming ngd guild starfire v

    Finaly the tracking number uploaded

    Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

  10. #30
    Bacteriaolgoist GuitarDoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Calif
    Age
    73
    Posts
    13,957

    Default Re: Incoming ngd guild starfire v

    Beautiful guitar. I love it. Guilds are very fine instruments. Back in the 60s there weren't any finer...Gibson, Gretsch, and Guild were the big three for hollows and semis.
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

  11. #31
    Tone Member silvertonebetty's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    250

    Default Re: Incoming ngd guild starfire v

    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarDoc View Post
    Beautiful guitar. I love it. Guilds are very fine instruments. Back in the 60s there weren't any finer...Gibson, Gretsch, and Guild were the big three for hollows and semis.
    Thanks but im annoyed two days no tracking update


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  12. #32
    Tone Member silvertonebetty's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    250

    Default Re: Incoming ngd guild starfire v

    I guess canpar dosen't ship between Friday and Sunday. And they said it should be here tomorrow

    Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

  13. #33
    Tone Member silvertonebetty's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    250

    Default Re: Incoming ngd guild starfire v





    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  14. #34
    Tone Member silvertonebetty's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    250

    Default Re: Incoming ngd guild starfire v

    So I guess itís verdict time on the guild starfire v. So after for a few hours yesterday and a fare bit today I think itís safe to say it was well worth the money. I can only compare the neck to the neck on my 96 Taylor 810 . So the guilds neck is a tad bit smaller than the Taylor both nut with ,scale length ect . The fret size I must say are darn close nice and low , but I always had problems playing the chords ďA2Ē and ďC#m7Ē on the Taylor but can play them comfortably on the guild. Now I think the thing I like the most comes down to is the election layout . Where it has that guild labeled Bigsbys that gets in the way for volume swells and on my tele I have to flip the arm back to do that , but thatís not the case on the guild . I absolutely love the master volume I think it was a great idea because itís handy to your hand but the pick guard gets in the way a bit but Is very doable. The hardware seems to be solid and now since the strings are getting worn in it seems to be holding its tune well even with some slight trem use. Overall the finish Iíd give a 8/10 due to some imperfections around the f holes and some paint transfer on the binding. The finish seems to well done otherwise itís nice and reflective like a new guitar is supposed to be . The pickups Iím still not sure on them, I donít hate them but I donít love them . I would have to say the a super clean and I can get a fair bit of low end out of them same with the high end . I find them lacking in mids some but not as much as I find emgs . Something I I think could be done differently is the hardware I believe gold looks better on black but if I do that Iím gonna have to talk to Bigsbys of a g branded b7 . The open tuners concerns me a bit living where I live it can get dusty fast and why does it not come with a bone nut. And after spending a day and a half I think it would be worth the full asking price minus the plastic nut. One thing I must mention it is the heaviest semi I have ever owned . But I guess thatís it


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •