The thing I learned today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The thing I learned today

So blew out a high E string on my ESP, since I had a spare om hand, I threw it on the guitar without anything. Got it all tuned up, esp, all of a sudden the string Inreplaced had a noticeable warble to it if Inplayed the sting open even playing it acoustically. If Indepressed the FR that particular string also had a
    lot more tension it than the other 5. Couldnt figure out why, playing thru my amp, bout drove me nuts hearing. Realized the strings on the guitar are a set of standard 9s, I put a 10 on the high E.

So lesson is, dont out a 10 high E on a guitar strung with a set of 9s. Time to order new strings I guss
    1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
    Jackson Soloist 7 string
    ESP LTD M-400
    Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Re: The thing I learned today

Yeah, it threw off the balance between the strings and the springs, causing some weird things. It probably wouldn't stay in tune very well, either.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Inve done that
      EHD
      Just here surfing Guitar Pron
      RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
      SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
      Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
      Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
      Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
      Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
      GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

The warble isn't being caused by the difference in gauge. If mixing gauges did that, then every hybrid set of strings would be unusable. The string height may need to be changed due to the difference, or the pickups might need to be backed off a bit. The larger gauge string might also be sitting up higher in the nut slot if the slot is too tight.

Comment

larger string has more mass and swings in wider arc

man, you must have very very low action
          EHD
          Just here surfing Guitar Pron
          RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
          SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
          Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
          Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
          Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
          Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
          GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by bugmenot
            It seems to me that any laws are not necessary for real talent, and in general, knowledge of the theory of music can even deprive you of a unique vision, and you will become uninteresting. And so it should be in everything. We should not set boundaries only because we do not have specialized knowledge or education. If a person can make good music, then he must do it, and no theory can prevent him from doing this. Listen only to (link removed)], watch a good movie, and develop.
            huh?
            -=The Dali
            --== Unabashed Alex Lifeson Fan

Visit My Guitar Building Blog at www.hammersandchords.com

Comment

Originally posted by Hsb View Post
              So blew out a high E string on my ESP, since I had a spare om hand, I threw it on the guitar without anything. Got it all tuned up, esp, all of a sudden the string Inreplaced had a noticeable warble to it if Inplayed the sting open even playing it acoustically. If Indepressed the FR that particular string also had a
              lot more tension it than the other 5. Couldnt figure out why, playing thru my amp, bout drove me nuts hearing. Realized the strings on the guitar are a set of standard 9s, I put a 10 on the high E.

So lesson is, dont out a 10 high E on a guitar strung with a set of 9s. Time to order new strings I guss
              I guss its also time to inlearn some English while your out at it with the other. Or comw down it from the incrack before repostering cuz yur post bout drove me nuts reading.
              Originally Posted by IanBallard
              Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Real men play .011 to .056 Bro.

To be fair in da 80's i played .009 to .046 Boomers 20 years.
                Then i played 9.6 to .048 GHS Nickels about 11 years.

Been playing the D'Addario .011 to .056 10 years and never looked back.
                Never going back to wimpy strings.

I play both Eb & A440.
                Last edited by JMP/HBE; 04-10-2020, 07:28 AM.

Comment

I don't this is the case -A warble sound? -what you are hearing isn't nut or saddle binding or fret buzz

-it sounds like your string and pickup height are too close if you describe it as a warble - a larger string will change the interaction.
                  “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

So to the folks who have comstructively assisted me, thank you. I have played with the string height some and doesnt appear to change anything. The pickup is direct mounted and I have not touched it.

There is a definite difference in string tension between the high E and the rest of the strings. I have strings on order and hopefully be here by early next week. Once I have the strings on and the guitar set back up, Ill report back.

Thanks again guys.
                    Jackson Soloist 7 string
                    ESP LTD M-400

Comment

Originally posted by JMP/HBE View Post

Real men play .011 to .056 Bro.

To be fair in da 80's i played .009 to .046 Boomers 20 years.
                      Then i played 9.6 to .048 GHS Nickels about 11 years.

Been playing the D'Addario .011 to .056 10 years and never looked back.
                      Never going back to wimpy strings.

I play both Eb & A440.
                      I don't think of Billy Gibbons as a "wimpy" player.

Do you find that the heavier strings sound better (richer tone),
                      Fit your playing style better,
                      Have less fret buzz when you pound on them,
                      Or just make you feel like more of a "real man" to play them?
                      Originally Posted by IanBallard
                      Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

If by "warble" you mean a sitar like sound, then try this:

-Slacken the string in question
                        -With the locking nut still open, position your string precisely in the bottom of the "V" slot
                        -Tighten the locking nut above the string in question in such a way, that it is almost locking, but still allows movement when the tuning pegs is turned
                        -Tune up. If you pull it sharp, don't try to tune down to pitch, just slacken it below pitch and tune up again
                        -Give the locking nut screw a nudge to lock it down. No need to put all your bodyweight into locking it.

The thing that I think is happening might have something to do with the higher tension, but it happens regardless. On in-line pointy headstocks (like Jackson and ESP), the strings fan out after leaving the nut, but the headstock doesn't tilt back enough to pull the strings down into the slot ptoperly. So when you lock down the nut, the string is pushed against the side of the slot, which then creates the sitar like sound. Also, the surface of the slot can be a bit rough, which again can impede the string from being seated properly. That can be alleviated with careful sanding/diamond file. If the surface is smooth enough, than you either do what I said above or you can install/tighten a string tree. Some ESPs have it as I recall.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                          I don't think of Billy Gibbons as a "wimpy" player.

Do you find that the heavier strings sound better (richer tone),
                          Fit your playing style better,
                          Have less fret buzz when you pound on them,
                          Or just make you feel like more of a "real man" to play them?
                          Wille G plays with .007's these days. Without a doubt the heavier strings are the ****z. My Amp guy works on Gibbons stuff {MAGNATONE Engineer} and plays The Rev's music better than the Rev. Im coming up on 60 & my hands are starting to get stiff from 40 years in the trades but not from strings.

Comment

Originally posted by nexion218 View Post
                            If by "warble" you mean a sitar like sound, then try

The thing that I think is happening might have something to do with the higher tension, but it happens regardless.
                            Think this is the issue, was fine until I put the different high E string on, everything else on the guitar is from a set of .009s, the high E is a .010.

Have new strings arriving tomorrow, once I get them on amd set up the guitar, Ill report back
                            Jackson Soloist 7 string
                            ESP LTD M-400

Comment

Got new strings in this afternoon, strung it up, got it in tune (forgot how much changing string guages on a FR is) and off to the races. Warble is now gone, can think of two things, the difference in string tension or I misrouted it under the string tree. I may havd gone to the inside of the screw of the tree vs to the outside. Either way, issue solved and moving on. Again to the guys that honestly attempted to help thanks again, those who posted that wanted to be a critic, well mama always side if you have nothing nice to say, dont say it.
                              Jackson Soloist 7 string
                              ESP LTD M-400

Comment

Working...
                              X