Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The 7025 valve

Underglazed Hair Metalologist 80's_Metal's Avatar

Default The 7025 valve

I have a newer model Marshall DSL 100.
    It sounds wicked.
    Just like my TSL 100 I installed new tubes when I got it.
    In my TSL I installed a Mullard high gain 12ax7 in position 1 and then a matched set of ehx 12ax7s throughout. It's flat amazing and dead quiet despite the high gain.

I ordered the same set for my DSL.
    My DSL did NOT like the Mullard.
    Microphonic and too shrill/ brittle
    I swapped it out for an EHX 12ax7.
    Less brittle but still very microphonic.
    I swapped every tube I owned into that V1 slot.
    Ended up with an old sovtek that was passable.

Anyhow, I did some research and there is a 7025 /ecc83 "low noise" tube available that should Supposedly fix my issue.
    I ordered an EHX 7025 off flea bay. It arrived a few days ago.

What a significant change! It's not microphonic or brittle at all anymore. I did end up bumping the gain up just a touch, but this amp has plenty of gain to use.

Just wanted to share my story in case it helps anyone else out
    Last edited by 80's_Metal; 04-05-2020 at 09:23 PM.

Default Re: The 7025 valve

Sometimes, especially in a cascading gain circuit, less can be more. Especially in V1. Like you said, you have plenty of gain on tap.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 80's_Metal View Post
    I have a newer model Marshall DSL 100.
    It sounds wicked.
    Just like my TSL 100 I installed new tubes when I got it.
    In my TSL I installed a Mullard high gain 12ax7 in position 1 and then a matched set of ehx 12ax7s throughout. It's flat amazing and dead quiet despite the high gain.

I ordered the same set for my DSL.
    My DSL did NOT like the Mullard.
    Microphonic and too shrill/ brittle
    I swapped it out for an EHX 12ax7.
    Less brittle but still very microphonic.
    I swapped every tube I owned into that V1 slot.
    Ended up with an old sovtek that was passable.

Anyhow, I did some research and there is a 7025 /ecc83 "low noise" tube available that should Supposedly fix my issue.
    I ordered an EHX 7025 off flea bay. It arrived a few days ago.

What a significant change! It's not microphonic or brittle at all anymore. I did end up bumping the gain up just a touch, but this amp has plenty of gain to use.

Just wanted to share my story in case it helps anyone else out
    In the 60's & 70's the "7025" was a designation for the "best of the best" ECC-83/12AX7's [7025/12ax7/ecc-83 all same tube] chosen for their low noise & microphonics application. Alot of 7025's had spiral wound heaters. Current production "7025's" aren't really in the same league as older tubes, just marketing. Just like the Sovtex 5881 isn't really a 5881 just a glorified Russian 6L6. Some older 7025's were also made for Medical grade applications/equipment which can be hit or miss in audio amplifiers.
    Lots of Marketing in CP tube jargon.

Ultimate Tone Slacker Rex_Rocker's Avatar

Does the DSL100 have a cathode follower tone stack driver? I'd not use EHX's in there.

What's the tone of the EHX 7025 like? Those are new, aren't they? Visually, it seems like a variant of the Sovtek WA/B/C. Those Sovteks tend to be kinda dark, but EHX's tubes in general seem to lean more towards bright.
    Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 04-06-2020 at 10:21 AM.

Underglazed Hair Metalologist 80's_Metal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
    Does the DSL100 have a cathode follower tone stack driver? I'd not use EHX's in there.

What's the tone of the EHX 7025 like? Those are new, aren't they? Visually, it seems like a variant of the Sovtek WA/B/C. Those Sovteks tend to be kinda dark, but EHX's tubes in general seem to lean more towards bright.
    I have learned that most Marshalls use that, but Why wouldn't I use an EHX in there if it did?
    I'm ignorant to such things still.

New, yes, the tone is a bit duller than the high gain Mullard and ehx 12ax7. But it's nice and quiet. Sounds middy but smooth is my best 2 words for it.
    Last edited by 80's_Metal; 04-06-2020 at 08:55 PM.

watch where you point that sword Phantasmagoria's Avatar

Get an old East German RFT ECC83 (12AX7) for V1 (at least). They are killer in Marshall/Marshall type amps.. smoother & a bit darker/gainier than most of the other stuff around. They won't really break the bank either..got mine for $20-25 a piece a couple of years ago off ebay.

I've got them in 3 of my amps and they all sound awesome..massive difference from the over-bright/fizzy current production stuff (Shuggy's, Tung_Sol, EHX etc..). They put meat on your amp's bones
    "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney Gene View Post
    If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

I have learned that most Marshalls use that, but Why wouldn't I use an EHX in there if it did?

New, yes, the tone is a bit duller than the high gain Mullard and ehx 12ax7. But it's nice and quiet. Sounds middy but smooth is my best 2 words for it.
    Many of the New Sensor tubes (like Tung Sol and Electro Harmonix 12AX7EH) have spiral wound filaments that cannot handle the voltage of cathode followers because it exceeds the specs of 12AX7's, so they tend to die pretty fast in those positions.

Sovtek WA/B/C's can handle those positions. So can JJ ECC83S's and Shuguangs.

Just one more reason for me to like JJ's.
    Regardless of the hate.

watch where you point that sword Phantasmagoria's Avatar

No hate for JJ's here..they're in almost (except for my Brutus) all my amp's
    "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney Gene View Post
    If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

I've used JJ's since a buddy turned me on to them in the early 00's. I always liked how they sounded and found them reliable. But I have heard accounts of people not liking them. Which is fine, but that's not been my experience with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmagoria View Post
    No hate for JJ's here..they're in almost (except for my Brutus) all my amp's
    Same here. They're great!
    "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
    Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

JJ ECC83S's have been the most reliable and least noisy (and least microphonic) tubes I've tried. I've never had one go bad or microphonic or anything. That being said, though, I don't dislike them tonally, but I tend to favor New Sensor for gain stages and PI's, and Shuguangs for anything in between. That's just me, though. I like my amps bright and gritty.

Quote Originally Posted by Demanic View Post
    I've used JJ's since a buddy turned me on to them in the early 00's. I always liked how they sounded and found them reliable. But I have heard accounts of people not liking them. Which is fine, but that's not been my experience with them.

Every JJ Ive used, whether power or pre, worked/sounded like NOS vintage tubes I compared them with. (my faves of theirs are ECC803S, 5751 and KT77)
    Quote Originally Posted by Demanic
    Incompetence is widespread in a world that rewards mediocrity while punishing excellence.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarFanatic
    I am currently using Skullcandy headphones I found in the garbage.
    I did find the DS-1 in the garbage.
    I once found a guitar amp in the garbage, a Peavey Studio 110. It caught fire at the first gig I played it at.. But it was at the end of it, thank god.

Quote Originally Posted by beaubrummels View Post
    Every JJ I’ve used, whether power or pre, worked/sounded like NOS vintage tubes I compared them with. (my faves of theirs are ECC803S, 5751 and KT77)
    I tries their 5751 and it was great for cleans, but too bright for dirt. Since that's mainly what I use them for, I'm sticking with theis standard ECC83S'
    "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"

JJ ECC803S's are great. Kinda like the complete tonal opposite of their ECC83S's: Broad, open, and bright.

I really want to try their MG's as well.

Mojo's Minions Powdered Toast Man's Avatar

I keep trying other tubes and seem to keep coming back to JJs. I just got a set of ECC83-MG's and I put them into my 57 Twin. Absolutely perfect. Clear, articulate, and with the gain just a bit backed off from a standard AX7.

I think some people maybe turn their nose up at JJ based on their price. They're some of the most affordable tubes on the market, and they sound great and are reliable.
    -
    My Rolling Stones tribute band: The Main Street Exiles

At the battle of the bands, the loser is always the audience. -Demitri Martin

Can see a darker tube working well in a Marshall. Most real Blackburn Mullard 12AX7's that were used in older Marshalls were quite dark have owned a number of them over the years and several different variants on both the amps and the tubes. One tube that has worked well for me in V 1 or 2 in several Marshall's are JJ's. Normally am not a fan as find them dark and dull but in Marshall's in particular they seem to work quite well in V 1 and or V2 depending on the amp. Also they seem to like the new short plate CV 4004 (supposed ) reissue Mullard's. JJ's in particular are notorious for being hit or miss unless you use gain matched and tested tubes. I have a few older High Gain low noise gain matched and tested JJ's on hand however that are quite nice.
    Last edited by Ascension; 04-16-2020 at 09:15 PM.
    Guitars
    Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, ST 300, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
    Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Ultimate Tone Member Dark Order Lord's Avatar

Dude, I don't own new DSL100, but I DO own a DSL20hr, and two JCM2000 TSL100. I play all Mahogany/ebony fretboard guitars loaded with sh1/sh18 neck pickups, and SD custom shop Tyrannotitan bridge pu's playing Thrash Metal.

My special sauce for my Marshalls are:

V1: JJ ecc83sHG (eurotubes)
    V2: JJ e83cc frame grid

V3: JJ ecc83s (TSL100)
    V4 PI: JJecc83s balanced (TSL100)

V3 PI: JJ ecc803 balanced (DSL20HR)

I used to use EH, Tung Sol, and Mullards, but found the JJ's just work better and are more reliable
    DARK ORDER - 'Cold war of the Condor', 'The Violence Continuum' & '5000 Years of Violence' available now.... www.darkorder.com.au

"A true Metal-head displays from the heart alone, not by what image is portrayed. For many are around the well, but none are in the spring"

"War is the failure of the human spirit" - A.J.P. Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    Can see a darker tube working well in a Marshall. Most real Blackburn Mullard 12AX7's that were used in older Marshalls were quite dark have owned a number of them over the years and several different variants on both the amps and the tubes. One tube that has worked well for me in V 1 or 2 in several Marshall's are JJ's. Normally am not a fan as find them dark and dull but in Marshall's in particular they seem to work quite well in V 1 and or V2 depending on the amp. Also they seem to like the new short plate CV 4004 (supposed ) reissue Mullard's. JJ's in particular are notorious for being hit or miss unless you use gain matched and tested tubes. I have a few older High Gain low noise gain matched and tested JJ's on hand however that are quite nice.
    I've only been buying JJ's from a supplier who tests and rates them accordingly.

I see now those EH 7025's are a completely new design, not just re-worked Sovtek WA/B/C's...

Name:  IMG_8638.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  42.1 KB

Very interesting. I really want to try it! I love the bright and scooped sonic signature of Electro Harmonix tubes in general. Or at least I do in my EVH. I hated them on my Krank, but they help balance out the low mid stuffiness in my LBX.