The 7025 valve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The 7025 valve

I keep trying other tubes and seem to keep coming back to JJs. I just got a set of ECC83-MG's and I put them into my 57 Twin. Absolutely perfect. Clear, articulate, and with the gain just a bit backed off from a standard AX7.

I think some people maybe turn their nose up at JJ based on their price. They're some of the most affordable tubes on the market, and they sound great and are reliable.
    -
    My Rolling Stones tribute band: The Main Street Exiles

At the battle of the bands, the loser is always the audience. -Demitri Martin

Comment

Originally posted by 80's_Metal View Post
      I have learned that most Marshalls use that, but Why wouldn't I use an EHX in there if it did?
      I'm ignorant to such things still.

New, yes, the tone is a bit duller than the high gain Mullard and ehx 12ax7. But it's nice and quiet. Sounds middy but smooth is my best 2 words for it.
      Can see a darker tube working well in a Marshall. Most real Blackburn Mullard 12AX7's that were used in older Marshalls were quite dark have owned a number of them over the years and several different variants on both the amps and the tubes. One tube that has worked well for me in V 1 or 2 in several Marshall's are JJ's. Normally am not a fan as find them dark and dull but in Marshall's in particular they seem to work quite well in V 1 and or V2 depending on the amp. Also they seem to like the new short plate CV 4004 (supposed ) reissue Mullard's. JJ's in particular are notorious for being hit or miss unless you use gain matched and tested tubes. I have a few older High Gain low noise gain matched and tested JJ's on hand however that are quite nice.
      Last edited by Ascension; 04-16-2020, 10:15 PM.
      Guitars
      Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
      Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Dude, I don't own new DSL100, but I DO own a DSL20hr, and two JCM2000 TSL100. I play all Mahogany/ebony fretboard guitars loaded with sh1/sh18 neck pickups, and SD custom shop Tyrannotitan bridge pu's playing Thrash Metal.

My special sauce for my Marshalls are:

V1: JJ ecc83sHG (eurotubes)
        V2: JJ e83cc frame grid

V3: JJ ecc83s (TSL100)
        V4 PI: JJecc83s balanced (TSL100)

V3 PI: JJ ecc803 balanced (DSL20HR)

I used to use EH, Tung Sol, and Mullards, but found the JJ's just work better and are more reliable
        DARK ORDER - 'Cold war of the Condor', 'The Violence Continuum' & '5000 Years of Violence' available now.... www.darkorder.com.au

sigpic

"A true Metal-head displays from the heart alone, not by what image is portrayed. For many are around the well, but none are in the spring"

"War is the failure of the human spirit" - A.J.P. Taylor

Comment

Originally posted by Ascension View Post
          Can see a darker tube working well in a Marshall. Most real Blackburn Mullard 12AX7's that were used in older Marshalls were quite dark have owned a number of them over the years and several different variants on both the amps and the tubes. One tube that has worked well for me in V 1 or 2 in several Marshall's are JJ's. Normally am not a fan as find them dark and dull but in Marshall's in particular they seem to work quite well in V 1 and or V2 depending on the amp. Also they seem to like the new short plate CV 4004 (supposed ) reissue Mullard's. JJ's in particular are notorious for being hit or miss unless you use gain matched and tested tubes. I have a few older High Gain low noise gain matched and tested JJ's on hand however that are quite nice.
          I've only been buying JJ's from a supplier who tests and rates them accordingly.
          "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
          Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

I see now those EH 7025's are a completely new design, not just re-worked Sovtek WA/B/C's...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8638.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	5818825

Very interesting. I really want to try it! I love the bright and scooped sonic signature of Electro Harmonix tubes in general. Or at least I do in my EVH. I hated them on my Krank, but they help balance out the low mid stuffiness in my LBX.

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
              I've used JJ's since a buddy turned me on to them in the early 00's. I always liked how they sounded and found them reliable. But I have heard accounts of people not liking them. Which is fine, but that's not been my experience with them.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk
              Depends on the amp. They can sound very good in bright and mid heavy amps like a Marshal but turn other amps into an absolute mushy and muddy mess. Dropped a full set of JJ's in my Carvin X 50 for example and it turned to instant MUSH. Absolutely killed that particular amp. Wound up with a full set of the Mullard CV 4004's in that amp and it sounds fantastic!! My PRS Archon and the MT 15 on teh other hand came with JJ's in the preamp and they sound quite good in both. I keep a few on hand and use them to warm up a harsh bright amp mostly. Drop a set in say a vintage Fender though and it's like throwing a blanket over the amp and instantly makes it dull lifeless and very muddy.
              They have their place. Saying that a few years ago some thing changed and we saw a bunch of untested JJ's out there that were hit or miss with issues with micro-phonics and gains all over the place. Will recommend you buy from a reputable dealer who testes and gives you gain figures. Have a few older high gain and graded JJ's that are very good on hand.
              Last edited by Ascension; 04-18-2020, 10:02 PM.
              Guitars
              Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
              Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
                JJ ECC83S's have been the most reliable and least noisy (and least microphonic) tubes I've tried. I've never had one go bad or microphonic or anything. That being said, though, I don't dislike them tonally, but I tend to favor New Sensor for gain stages and PI's, and Shuguangs for anything in between. That's just me, though. I like my amps bright and gritty.
                Had 2 of the ECC83's go in my PRS MT 15 almost immediately. One was microphonic the other started frying found both tapping on them with a pencil.
                Now only have a High Gain JJ in V1 on that amp and it knocked the absolute bottom out of the noise floor.
                Guitars

Comment

Working...
                X