X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 7025 valve

I have a newer model Marshall DSL 100.
    It sounds wicked.
    Just like my TSL 100 I installed new tubes when I got it.
    In my TSL I installed a Mullard high gain 12ax7 in position 1 and then a matched set of ehx 12ax7s throughout. It's flat amazing and dead quiet despite the high gain.

I ordered the same set for my DSL.
    My DSL did NOT like the Mullard.
    Microphonic and too shrill/ brittle
    I swapped it out for an EHX 12ax7.
    Less brittle but still very microphonic.
    I swapped every tube I owned into that V1 slot.
    Ended up with an old sovtek that was passable.

Anyhow, I did some research and there is a 7025 /ecc83 "low noise" tube available that should Supposedly fix my issue.
    I ordered an EHX 7025 off flea bay. It arrived a few days ago.

What a significant change! It's not microphonic or brittle at all anymore. I did end up bumping the gain up just a touch, but this amp has plenty of gain to use.

Just wanted to share my story in case it helps anyone else out
    Last edited by 80's_Metal; 04-05-2020, 10:23 PM.
    Go buy my book. https://www.amazon.com/dp/198405564X

Re: The 7025 valve

Sometimes, especially in a cascading gain circuit, less can be more. Especially in V1. Like you said, you have plenty of gain on tap.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by 80's_Metal View Post
      I have a newer model Marshall DSL 100.
      It sounds wicked.
      Just like my TSL 100 I installed new tubes when I got it.
      In my TSL I installed a Mullard high gain 12ax7 in position 1 and then a matched set of ehx 12ax7s throughout. It's flat amazing and dead quiet despite the high gain.

I ordered the same set for my DSL.
      My DSL did NOT like the Mullard.
      Microphonic and too shrill/ brittle
      I swapped it out for an EHX 12ax7.
      Less brittle but still very microphonic.
      I swapped every tube I owned into that V1 slot.
      Ended up with an old sovtek that was passable.

Anyhow, I did some research and there is a 7025 /ecc83 "low noise" tube available that should Supposedly fix my issue.
      I ordered an EHX 7025 off flea bay. It arrived a few days ago.

What a significant change! It's not microphonic or brittle at all anymore. I did end up bumping the gain up just a touch, but this amp has plenty of gain to use.

Just wanted to share my story in case it helps anyone else out
      In the 60's & 70's the "7025" was a designation for the "best of the best" ECC-83/12AX7's [7025/12ax7/ecc-83 all same tube] chosen for their low noise & microphonics application. Alot of 7025's had spiral wound heaters. Current production "7025's" aren't really in the same league as older tubes, just marketing. Just like the Sovtex 5881 isn't really a 5881 just a glorified Russian 6L6. Some older 7025's were also made for Medical grade applications/equipment which can be hit or miss in audio amplifiers.
      Lots of Marketing in CP tube jargon.

Comment

Does the DSL100 have a cathode follower tone stack driver? I'd not use EHX's in there.

What's the tone of the EHX 7025 like? Those are new, aren't they? Visually, it seems like a variant of the Sovtek WA/B/C. Those Sovteks tend to be kinda dark, but EHX's tubes in general seem to lean more towards bright.
        Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 04-06-2020, 11:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
          Does the DSL100 have a cathode follower tone stack driver? I'd not use EHX's in there.

What's the tone of the EHX 7025 like? Those are new, aren't they? Visually, it seems like a variant of the Sovtek WA/B/C. Those Sovteks tend to be kinda dark, but EHX's tubes in general seem to lean more towards bright.
          I have learned that most Marshalls use that, but Why wouldn't I use an EHX in there if it did?
          I'm ignorant to such things still.

New, yes, the tone is a bit duller than the high gain Mullard and ehx 12ax7. But it's nice and quiet. Sounds middy but smooth is my best 2 words for it.
          Last edited by 80's_Metal; 04-06-2020, 09:55 PM.
          Go buy my book. https://www.amazon.com/dp/198405564X

Comment

Get an old East German RFT ECC83 (12AX7) for V1 (at least). They are killer in Marshall/Marshall type amps.. smoother & a bit darker/gainier than most of the other stuff around. They won't really break the bank either..got mine for $20-25 a piece a couple of years ago off ebay.

I've got them in 3 of my amps and they all sound awesome..massive difference from the over-bright/fizzy current production stuff (Shuggy's, Tung_Sol, EHX etc..). They put meat on your amp's bones
            "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
            If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by 80's_Metal View Post
              I have learned that most Marshalls use that, but Why wouldn't I use an EHX in there if it did?
              I'm ignorant to such things still.

New, yes, the tone is a bit duller than the high gain Mullard and ehx 12ax7. But it's nice and quiet. Sounds middy but smooth is my best 2 words for it.
              Many of the New Sensor tubes (like Tung Sol and Electro Harmonix 12AX7EH) have spiral wound filaments that cannot handle the voltage of cathode followers because it exceeds the specs of 12AX7's, so they tend to die pretty fast in those positions.

Sovtek WA/B/C's can handle those positions. So can JJ ECC83S's and Shuguangs.

Comment

Just one more reason for me to like JJ's.
                Regardless of the hate.

Comment

No hate for JJ's here..they're in almost (except for my Brutus) all my amp's
                  "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
                  If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

I've used JJ's since a buddy turned me on to them in the early 00's. I always liked how they sounded and found them reliable. But I have heard accounts of people not liking them. Which is fine, but that's not been my experience with them.

Comment

Originally posted by Phantasmagoria View Post
                      No hate for JJ's here..they're in almost (except for my Brutus) all my amp's
                      Same here. They're great!
                      "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
                      Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

JJ ECC83S's have been the most reliable and least noisy (and least microphonic) tubes I've tried. I've never had one go bad or microphonic or anything. That being said, though, I don't dislike them tonally, but I tend to favor New Sensor for gain stages and PI's, and Shuguangs for anything in between. That's just me, though. I like my amps bright and gritty.

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                          I've used JJ's since a buddy turned me on to them in the early 00's. I always liked how they sounded and found them reliable. But I have heard accounts of people not liking them. Which is fine, but that's not been my experience with them.

Every JJ I’ve used, whether power or pre, worked/sounded like NOS vintage tubes I compared them with. (my faves of theirs are ECC803S, 5751 and KT77)

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                            Every JJ I’ve used, whether power or pre, worked/sounded like NOS vintage tubes I compared them with. (my faves of theirs are ECC803S, 5751 and KT77)
                            I tries their 5751 and it was great for cleans, but too bright for dirt. Since that's mainly what I use them for, I'm sticking with theis standard ECC83S'
                            "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
                            Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

JJ ECC803S's are great. Kinda like the complete tonal opposite of their ECC83S's: Broad, open, and bright.

I really want to try their MG's as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X