Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Double neck wiring

Hi all,

I am stuck at a double neck build and the internet haven’t been helpful.

I bought a cheap double neck kit guitar, based on a eds1275 it came with wiring instructions. But, not the right ones and the store is not helpful. The instructions calls for an Epiphone style wiring, 3 switches, pickup/pickup/neck, but the routing and supplied components resemble a Gibson style wiring pickup/neck.

Now, both switches are single pole, 3-ways. I found a diagram on this forum, that I figured I could modify, and make work. But the thing is. One switch does what it is supposed to, as long as the other one is in middle position. As soon as the other switch is in either of the other positions, all pickups are on at all times. The latter is what really gets to me. I cannot figure out why this is happening.

I really hope that someone owns a similar kit, or a Chipson, with similar wiring, that can help me sort this out. Or someone is just more electronically capable than I am. Please see my diagram attached.

Thanks all.

Click image for larger version

Name:	4C05D5A7-F2FC-48DB-ADA2-95858E3891E0.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	5853721

Re: Double neck wiring

I took a look at how Gibson does it and it's simple: they use a double wafer 3way toggle to get the desired results.

Genuine Switchcraft part Nickel finish Includes black switch knob and standard nut for mounting Right Angle 3-way 4 pole for double neck guitars. Requires 1/2" diameter mounting hole MeasurementsBody depth below threads is 7/8"(20mm) Thread length is 3/16"(4.7mm) Body length 2"(50.8mm)**NOTE** Switchcraft pre-tins all lugs with solder from the factory Allparts # EP 4378-000Switchcraft guitar toggle switch is a reliable and heavy duty.Designed for use on doubleneck guitars.

this switch. The reason you're getting weird things is because you drew in jumpers between pickups which makes them turn on all the time in certain switch positions. You need to separate the circuit paths of upper versus lower neck first before you do anything else. A master volume and tone are stil perfectly possible, though.

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I know Gibson uses the double three way switch, and it makes sense. But, I have no room for it in my cavities. Another option would be a third three way switch, run two separate circuits and the a toggle between those, with the third switch being master, like Epiphone, but again, that is a lot of modifying.

Theoretically the circuit here makes sense, on paper at least. One switch disconnects the positive leads of the 12 string PUs and vice versa. The other switch disconnects the ground of the neck and bridge PUs.

So correct me if I am wrong, when the neck switch is in the downward position (6 string), the positive leads of the 12 string PUs are disconnected, meaning they should be bypassed from the circuit. Now only the six string PUs should be active. The second switch will remove the ground connection from either the neck or bridge. So, in down position the PU selector, should remove ground from the neck pick up, leaving only the six string bridge PU active, or connected in the circuit, if you will. Reason being the 12 string PUs have no positive lead connected, and the six string neck PU have no ground connection. Right? Or am I completely missing something?

This seems so straight forward in my head, and I am losing it, not being able to see the problem. I have had an intuition to disconnect the ground wire, from the PU selector switch’s ground lug, but I cannot say why ...

Comment

Dunno man, seems too complicated for my head to wrap around. Maybe someone else can chime in. I'm more of a 'make it as simple as possible' kinda guy and I would either route the cavity so that Switchcraft switch can fit, or use this:

Comment

Working...
        X