Hollowbody wiring question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hollowbody wiring question

Hi everyone, hope you are all staying safe and hunkering down well. I had a wiring question regarding a ES-335 style guitar I bought with dual, two wire humbuckers, volumes and tones.

I noticed that when the three way selector switch is in the middle position, the volumes will cut the signal to both pickups. If Im rolling back the bridge volume, the moment the signal is completely cut, the neck signal disappears. It doesn't gradually recede like the bridge volume. It goes from full to nothing. The neck volume acts in the exact same fashion.

Yesterday I spent the entire day checking connections, looking over the diagram etc... The work looks top notch so I began double checking components. Didn't see any problems there either. Pots, switches, jack... everything is in working order.

After sleeping off my frustration I woke up and tried a different approach. I hooked up gator clips to the humbucker connections and clipped them onto the pot inputs of another body I have with the same layout. It acted the same way. The moment you cut volume to one pickup, the other disappears as well.

So that just leaves problems with the pickups I guess? Could a short in the pickup make them act like this? Do all two wire humbuckers act in this fashion like this or am I missing something here.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Hollowbody wiring question

No, your pups are fine. You have it wire with what is called "Dependent Volumes". It is normal for it to work that way. A lot of people like the wiring because they say the tone is more pleasant to them. I personally don't hear any tonal difference between "dependent" and "independent" volume wiring, but I absolutely like the way independent volumes work and use it (with 50s tone wiring) in all my builds.

Try moving the input, from the pup, to the middle lug of the vol pot instead of the first lug.
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

This video explains it all quite well.

Comment

Yep.
        Originally Posted by IanBallard
        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Working...
        X