Van Halen 1 Sound(First Album)Power Tubes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Van Halen 1 Sound(First Album)Power Tubes

I hear EL34 tube crunch on Van Halen 1 vs big bottle 6CA7 which to me is cleaner sounding more headroom then a EL34. I hear more 6CA7 on Van Halen II then EL34 crunch like on Van Halen 1. I would bet Eddie was using EL34s on Van Halen 1 then 6Ca7.

Re: Van Halen 1 Sound(First Album)Power Tubes

It’s hard to declare the tube type unless you have a Variac starving the tubes to <80% of their optimal performance window. Then I might hear a 6CA7 defying tube death.

Comment

I doubt even Eddie remembers.

FWIW, unrelated, but definitely big bottles in this studio pic from VHII recording. The real tone probably came from the Schlitz Malt Liquor tall boys, they have a certain mojo.

Click image for larger version

Name:	VH2_recording.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	5818680
      Last edited by devastone; 04-09-2020, 09:35 AM.

Comment

What is your rig, Pittbull? I've always been curious

Comment

Those pictures were all staged. Most of VHI was recorded on an acoustic guitar through an SM57. Then a little bit of studio magic and BAM. Bob's your uncle. That's why so few people are able to really nail the tone. They're wasting time on tube amps.
          Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
          This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
            I doubt even Eddie remembers.

FWIW, unrelated, but definitely big bottles in this studio pic from VHII recording. The real tone probably came from the Schlitz Malt Liquor tall boys, they have a certain mojo.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]104089[/ATTACH]
            The best part of this pic is the fire extinguisher on Alex' kit. I guess that confirms this was his road kit for certain.

Dave's karate injury is funny too.

I would take nothing about Eddie's tone or studio rig from this pic -if anything, he thought he was on to something with his tone and moved that big bottle amp facing the camera into the staged photo to throw people of his scent
            “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

What I most want to know about that pic is . . . where did all the tolex go?
              Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
              This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                Easy... Dave spinning back kicks ...look at his foot.
                “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                  Probably rolled it with his weed and smoked it .

Comment

Originally posted by TMD
                    A little known fact about the recording of the first two VH albums is that David Lee Roth was unknowingly singing into an electric shaver. His vocal parts were overdubbed by Dave Bickler.
                    That's weird, I mean because Eddie was also playing an acoustic not plugged in, and Robert Fripp actual tracked all the guitars.

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
                      That's weird, I mean because Eddie was also playing an acoustic not plugged in, and Robert Fripp actual tracked all the guitars.
                      That would be an album even I would buy.
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

So, what tubes were Warren using to get that superhumanly smooth tone on Ratt's Detonator?

Comment

I just got these yesterday and all i can say is bar-none : Behold Excalibur.
                          Ed murdered alot of good tubes and not by normal use. But he also has recorded some of the best guitar tones known to mankind. He likely melted down all the good EL-34's making the first album.
                          Last edited by JMP/HBE; 04-11-2020, 05:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sirion View Post
                            So, what tubes were Warren using to get that superhumanly smooth tone on Ratt's Detonator?
                            Well, considering Warren is superhumanly smooth on any guitar and amp....

he's special on a Peavey Bandit

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
                              Well, considering Warren is superhumanly smooth on any guitar and amp....

he's special on a Peavey Bandit
                              Gee, I wonder if this could also be applied to the VHI tone in one way or another?

Comment

Working...
                              X