Clear All

• Guitar Nut

Click image for larger version

Name:	58008654053__421B71D3-1163-4B28-8EE7-7CC8BBCA07C1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	5853725
    Hi all,

I’ve got this explorer which I had a luthier recently refret. The only issue is I think the nut is too low because the neck is dead straight, all the frets are where they should be and I’m still getting buzz.

I’m thinking of replacing the nut myself. Worth doing as a COVID project?

Re: Guitar Nut

Was the nut working fine prior to the refret?
    -=The Dali
    --== Unabashed Alex Lifeson Fan

Visit My Guitar Building Blog at www.hammersandchords.com

Comment

is it buzzing only on open strings?

Comment

Press the strings down between the second an third fret, if the strings are paperthin clear of the first fret, you are fine with the nut.
        I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

It's not necessarily the nut, but it could definitely be if he put in taller frets without replacing the nut! A new nut (and a level) should be part of a refret. I wouldn't give the guitar back to you buzzing. You can use guitar strings as feeler gauges to check the string height at the 1st fret. The lowest I like to go that won't buzz when played hard is .016" - .020" 1st string to 6th string. Ime, you can go lower than that if you want really effortless playing but it will buzz if played hard.
          The things that you wanted
          I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
            It's not necessarily the nut, but it could definitely be if he put in taller frets without replacing the nut! A new nut (and a level) should be part of a refret. I wouldn't give the guitar back to you buzzing. You can use guitar strings as feeler gauges to check the string height at the 1st fret. The lowest I like to go that won't buzz when played hard is .016" - .020" 1st string to 6th string. Ime, you can go lower than that if you want really effortless playing but it will buzz if played hard.
            The frets were worn out, I’d played them off and wanted to go with a real jumbo size fret. It seems he missed this and I hadn’t really played this one for a while. The frets were level was the funny thing, I just checked again. It has to be the nut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Installing higher frets will leave the nut low, unless itwas too hogh initially. I think your assessmemt is right Its reallysad that it left thebench like that...:/

Comment

i wouldnt expect a new nut with a refret, ive had plenty of fret jobs done and exactly zero nuts were included in that service. however, if you went to a significantly taller fret and its buzzing, the guy working on your guitar should have figured out what the issue was and let you know. a new nut would cost extra but if the old one was cut too low, it might need to be replaced. you didnt answer any of our questions we posed by the way

as far as replacing it yourself, are you talking about purchasing a premade nut and gluing it in place? thats easy. shaping your own? if you are handy and patient then, yeah, go for it as long as you have the tools

Comment

Yes, this. If you went with Jumbo from medium-jumbo that nut would need to be replaced. Yes, you can install your own pre-cut nut fairly easily. However, I would have returned it to the luthier/tech... they knew they were putting on larger frets and shouldn't have given you a guitar that buzzed.
                  -=The Dali
                  --== Unabashed Alex Lifeson Fan

Visit My Guitar Building Blog at www.hammersandchords.com

Comment

However, I would have returned it to the luthier/tech... they knew they were putting on larger frets and shouldn't have given you a guitar that buzzed.
                    ^^^ THIS! ^^^

I've been doing repairs for 40 plus years, and a new nut is always part of the equation when you go with new, larger frets. At the very least, he could have shimmed up the old nut and set the guitar up so it didn't buzz.
                    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

He should have at least told you there was new buzzing

I have nut files and they have already paid for themselves many times over, no joke. Got them from Philadelphia luthiery tools.

I buy the graph tech stuff and cut them to my spec with the files.

Comment

Sounds like a miss all around.

One simple option is raise action/put a touch of relief in. That's 5 minutes of screwdriver time.

Or - just shim the nut. Cut a business card and put it under there. 10 minutes and a re-string.

Or - as mentioned, "He dude - Higher nut? What's the price of that? How about I pay for the part and 1/2 labor. I should have asked for it, but you should have known it and heard the buzz?"
                        Originally posted by Bad City
                        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

By the way - PLEASE tell me you are playing early Metallica/Megadeth on that?!?!?!?!?!
                          Originally posted by Bad City
                          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                            By the way - PLEASE tell me you are playing early Metallica/Megadeth on that?!?!?!?!?!
                            Yeah...I have been known to enjoy some killing is my business, heh.

Comment

Working...
                            X