Lil 59 vs JB Jr

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lil 59 vs JB Jr

Just picked up a new strat and am trying to decide between these two pickups. I plan on leaving the stock CS 69 neck and middle pickups in. The guitar is alder with a rosewood board. I’m playing through a 2005 Splawn Quickrod. Looking to do heavy blues to hard rock. Think Cry of Love, Brother Cane, Badlands, etc... which would you choose and why? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2001 Les Paul Classic (Antiquity Set)
    2005 Les Paul Standard (Aldrich set)
    2019 Washburn N24 (Duncan Custom Shop PATB)

Re: Lil 59 vs JB Jr

You could do that music with either, but know the Little 59 has more mids, while the JB Jr is more upper mids, with more power. My first thought is the JB Jr, as the extra output adds compression, which is great for that kind of music. It should sound great through that amp, too.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Tough call. The 59 will probably play better with the 69s. They're lower output, and so is the 59 (but it will still do pretty heavy rock). The JB is classic for the tones you're describing, but you'll probably have a pretty big drop-off with the 69s when you flip to the neck or middle.

I haven't used the single-coil sized version of either pickup, so I assume they are wound to roughly approximate their full sized siblings.

Comment

See, I had a lil 59 loaded in a strat years ago, and seem to remember really liking it. Then I’m not sure if I’m just imagining liking it. Lol. I definitely know that I’m running a different rig now. That was with a Mesa Mark IV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        2001 Les Paul Classic (Antiquity Set)
        2005 Les Paul Standard (Aldrich set)
        2019 Washburn N24 (Duncan Custom Shop PATB)

Comment

I would go with the lil 59 because it has lower output and will balance better volume wise. The pups will either sit at about the same height or you'll have to drop the strat pups which will give less strat itis.
          The things that you wanted
          I bought them for you

Comment

I don't have experience with either of the sc sized pickups in question, but have used both of the full humbucker versions in the bridge of strat type guitars. Best I can say (regarding the full humbuckers) is listen to White Lion's Pride vs. Ozzy's Speak of the devil. Vito in white lion used predominantly Strat w/ duncan 59 vs Brad Gillis with ozzy in that era used a strat with a JB in the bridge. certainly we're talking different rigs and production techniques (and players), but to me the 59 sounds like it's clearer and "stringier" or "woodier" and the JB is more "pickup-y." sorry for the dumb descriptions, but that's been my general impression of them. difference of what's supposed to be a vintage flavor vs. a hot-rodded pickup.
            Last edited by pskorz; 04-07-2020, 08:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X