Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seth Lover 4-Conductor Question

Hello,

I'm fairly new to all of this, so bear with me.

I'm wanting to replace the pickups in my Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro and decided on the Seth Lovers. The thing is, I currently have a solderless wiring harness from Obsidianwire in the guitar (which I absolutely love), and from what I've read I gather that the vintage single-conductor braided shield cable that comes with the Seth Lovers won't work with the wiring harness (or will require some sort of creative work-around). So I was wondering -- and maybe this shows my ignorance when it comes to wiring -- if the 4-conductor version of the Seth Lovers has its grounding as a separate wire, since I would need to plug each wire into its own individual port on the harness.

It's not a split coil setup, but I have the stock 4-conductor pickups plugged into it currently (the harness has extra ports) and everything works fine, so that's not an issue. I included a picture of the part of the harness where the wires would be connecting, if that helps at all -- it's cropped from the Obsidianwire website.

Any input/advice/ideas are welcome. Thanks guys.
    Attached Files

Re: Seth Lover 4-Conductor Question

welcome to the forum!

i dont know about that harness, but you can order seths as 4 cond, i have a set. there are four coil wires (start and finish of each coil) then a bare ground wire which should always go to ground, so there are actually five wires which is typical of a 4 cond setup

Comment

Your stock "4-conductor" leads actually have five wires, right?

Duncans do. There are four colored wires, plus a bare wire.

Seths can be ordered with four conductor leads.

All you have to do is translate Epi color codes to Duncan. I'm not sure if Epi color codes are the same as Gibson ones, but Gibson now uses different codes for neck and bridge pickups. IIRC, neck codes are the same as they used to be, but bridge codes are now different.

If needed, I can go back in my old posts and track down what the current Gibson bridge pickup to Duncan color conversions are. I had figured it out at some point.
      Last edited by ItsaBass; 04-07-2020, 05:03 PM.
      Originally posted by LesStrat
      Yogi Berra was correct.
      Originally posted by JOLLY
      I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys.

Yeah, the stock pickups currently in the guitar have 5 wires like most (if not all) 4-conductors. I really just wanted to know if the wiring in the 4-cond Seth Lovers would allow me to plug the ground wire into a separate port than the hot, in contrast to the single-conductors which (to my knowledge) wouldn't allow that.

So thanks again for the input, I'll be ordering some 4-cond Seth Lovers in the near future!

Comment

You should be able to order a 4 conductor Seth Lover from any authorized dealer, and if you are patient, you might even find a few available out in the wild.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Awesome, thanks!

Comment

Working...
            X