Powerstage 700 with an Axe FX and a 4x12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powerstage 700 with an Axe FX and a 4x12

Hey guys, I just got a powerstage 700 and I'm interested in how people are using it with standard guitar cabs. Currently I'm using an AxeFx 2 Mark ii and I've got a couple Marshall cabs.

I was wondering what kind of changes you guys were making to your Presets on the Axe Fx for use with the Powerstage when using a guitar cab. I'm not really talking about FOH splits for an IR signal. Specifically what kinds of changes are people making aside from disengaging the Impulse Response (cab Block)

Super Happy with the unit so far, just curious about other's experience as I've only had it for a couple days.

Thanks in advance!
    Take care.

Re: Powerstage 700 with an Axe FX and a 4x12

Welcome to the forum!

I've used my AX8 with a PowerStage, and it really depends on the cab and the room. Some patches didn't need any tweaking (I set them up direct to studio monitors), and some I had to toss out and start over with. Once you get close, it really might just need a tweak of the EQ and that's it. I think the better you know the inherent sound of your cab, the better.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I don't have a Powerstage 700, but I have a Powerstage 170 that I run an AX8 with as well. I have power amp sim turned on in the AX8 when running it with the Powerstage and a cabinet. I have an effects loop block in the AX8 so that I can run to a cabinet without the IR and direct to FOH with the IR if I wanted to.

I haven't really had to tweak my patch settings when using a real cabinet yet. I just use the 3-band EQ on the 170 to help dial in tones for different cabinets/rooms.

You can experiment and make a new patch from scratch by first plugging your guitar straight into the 700 and dial in a clean tone with just the direct signal and then make your patches in the AxeFX based around those settings.

Comment

I think the biggest thing, if you can, is to tweak the sounds at gig volume. Obviously this causes ear fatigue quickly, so work in short bursts. But you can absolutely be sure those sounds will translate well live.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
          Welcome to the forum!

I've used my AX8 with a PowerStage, and it really depends on the cab and the room. Some patches didn't need any tweaking (I set them up direct to studio monitors), and some I had to toss out and start over with. Once you get close, it really might just need a tweak of the EQ and that's it. I think the better you know the inherent sound of your cab, the better.
          Thanks man, I think the most important thing would be just messing with it more. Especially because it’s such a taste thing. I’ve purchased some preset bundles but almost all of them are album captures so bypassing the cab block is out of the question. So I think enjoying those for recording or maybe ever FOH situations and having completely separate tones for my “amp in the room” sounds would be most realistic if not ideal. Maybe I should move to an FRFR cab.

Comment

I think to avoid making 2 sets of presets, 1 for live, 1 for recording, you have to use a FRFR cab. Thing is, no matter what you do, they don't sound like a traditional guitar cab. They can sound great out front, but on stage, you have to get used to it sounding...different. Thing is, most people who use real amps don't realize that the PA doesn't translate that well, and they don't obsess over it.

Comment

Working...
            X