Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multimeter JB readings when installed question

Hi,
    I finally rewired my guitar for passives (JB / 59). I opted for the 3 way switch with the push pull on the tone knob.

I checked the JB out of the box and it read 17.2, after I installed it reads 16.5. Just wondering if I should be concerned about it and if it is because I have the push pull option. I checked several times and that is the average since the readings seem to vary over different periods of time. Thank you!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	3 way-push-pull.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	5853727

Re: Multimeter JB readings when installed question

When you measure pickup installed you get volume pot in parallel with it:

500 * 17,2 / (500 + 17,2) = 16,63 kohm

So readings are correct.
    "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
    Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Oh! Thank you!

Comment

Temperature and I think the meter itself being finicky also causes readings to vary.
        The things that you wanted
        I bought them for you

Comment

If I switch to the regular wiring with no split coils will I get a different tone from the humbuckers? Will the reading be consistent installed or not installed?

Comment

Originally posted by Edward203 View Post
            If I switch to the regular wiring with no split coils will I get a different tone from the humbuckers?
            When humbuckers are in full humbucker mode, the split coil switch is not doing anything, so the tone should be the same.

Originally posted by Edward203 View Post
            Will the reading be consistent installed or not installed?
            No, because when installed, the volume pot, tone pot, all play a partial role in affecting the resistance measured at the jack.

Comment

Thanks, so the tone is the same in the humbucker mode regardless if the wiring had the split coil or not? At least for the diagram I used.

I'm confused about this, I guess this doesn't apply to my situation since there is a three blade switch and a push pull https://www.seymourduncan.com/faqs/w...arallel-wiring

Hand-crafted electric guitar pickups, acoustic guitar pickups, bass pickups and pedals. Helping musicians find their signature sound since 1976.
              Last edited by Edward203; 04-10-2020, 12:49 PM.

Comment

In the wiring diagram you posted, there is no shift from series to parallel, either of the coils on individual pickups, nor of the pickups relative to each other.

Comment

Working...
                X