Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boogie Mark 5 Thirty-Five goodness!

Hi all,

I've had this amp for about a year now but I've finally made an in-depth demo of my Mesa Boogie Mark 5 thirty-five! I won't lie, it took a while for me to learn how to dial it in but now that I've spent more time with it than ever before I can say that I really love this amp! I guess it's just a little harder to dial in than some other amps because of all the controls and variables like the G-EQ etc. The Mark V 25 is very similar but the head-shell is smaller and obviously it has less headroom. I think you should be able to replicate all the tones from this demo with the 25 pretty closely.

So it's only a 2 channel amp but boy is it versatile. The clean channel alone can go from very clean cleans with a lot of headroom to high gain on the crunch mode and everything in between. I really like that they added the mid-boost option as it can make for some very nice edge of breakup type tones are mild crunch on the FAT channel. And obviously the crunch mode really can take this amp to the next level.

Channel 2 is where for a lot of folks the money is at probably (although the crunch mode on channel one is pretty popular). This is the channel that took me the longest to 'master' but it is quite magical sounding after all . The IIC+ mode is the tightest of all modes but it can be dialed in to have a nice percussive and chunky sound. Dry and tight, just as how you'd expect it! I would be careful with not dialing out too much bass on the main tone stack since that can make the sound way too thin on this amp.

The Mark IV mode is also very nice with a touch more gain and harmonics. This is where the amp starts to get more saturated and possibly 'brutal' The Xtreme mode takes this to the next level and this mode definitely has more low-end than the other 2 modes on this channel. 'EL84's are thin blabla' no they're not! Sure, if you crank em up very loud they squash the sound earlier than say a 100W 6L6 head but if you want to have that option you should just get one of those! For in the studio it doesn't make that big of a difference in my opinion...

Anyway, here's the demo, I had a BLAST making this! Feel free to try out the settings with your Mark V's! It would be cool to know if the settings translate well onto you guys's gear!

Owner and founder of Sonic Drive Studio & social media manager for OwnHammer.

Facebook.com/sonicdrivestudio
    OwnHammer.com

Re: Boogie Mark 5 Thirty-Five goodness!

Man, that tone you dialed with the LTD baritone!

You aren't helping my GAS for a Mark V:25. I really want an amp with a killer clean channel and a tight high-gain tone to compliment my EVH LBX. It's just these amps are so pricy. I really want one, but I don't think I can really justifiy the extra bucks compared to an LBX II. Still, GAS is strong!

Comment

Great demo, thank you!
      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Basically just sold me on the Mark V. Now the question is to go with the 25 or the 35. How does the 35 do at bedroom levels? Or am I right in thinking that the 25 would be a better fit?

Comment

Originally posted by reallybadusername36 View Post
          Basically just sold me on the Mark V. Now the question is to go with the 25 or the 35. How does the 35 do at bedroom levels? Or am I right in thinking that the 25 would be a better fit?
          I think the extra headroom of the 35 would be beneficial, especially for cleans.
          Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

You've got a badass amp, man. Cash is the only thing that keeps me from a mesa mk series.

EL84s are the tubes in my amp as well. They're my new favorite.
            Epiphone Les Paul Tbte Plus (SD custom shop humbucker & SH2b neck)

Comment

Working...
            X