Custom 5 mids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Custom 5 mids

I think it's a terrible idea to pigeon-hole any pickup into a particular style. You can say what it's good for, but saying what something is "bad" for is not as straightforward in many ways.

The Custom 5 is a clear sounding pickup. It's not as hot as the regular Custom, but still has decent output. The high end is a little less biting than the Custom, but it still has presence. The mids are still there, it's not as "scooped" as we make it sound sometimes, but the mids aren't as aggressive as they are with the regular Custom.

The last time I tried the Custom 5 was in a custom shop Washburn Idol (i.e. LP-style guitar with thick Maple top) I sold a few months ago. It sounded great boosted through a Tube Screamer, but that pickup wasn't particularly inspiring on its own and was pretty much just as I remembered it from the last time I tried one. It's a good all-around medium-high output pickup if that's what you're looking for.

Comment

Re: Custom 5 mids

I always found it kinda odd that people are surprised about the Custom sounding more scooped than the C5 in KM's shootout. I mean... it is after all the same wind with a ceramic magnet, what else is to be expected?

In the shootout, I found that to be exactly what's to be expected of a ceramic vs Alnico 5 swap: Edgier highs and upper mids and tighter and bigger low-end without lower mid stuffiness from ceramic, and softer mids focused lower down the spectrum from Alnico.
      Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 04-09-2020, 05:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X