Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Active blackouts swap into ESP LTD H-338

Hey folks,

I am working on swapping out the esp actives that my LTD H-338 with a set of blackouts. The guitar has the factory 3 way switch, 1 tone, 1 volume. I gutted the existing electronics and followed the blackouts guide to wire up the battery, stereo jack, tone, volume and the 3 way switch. Everything seems to be solid except the pickup switch is obviously not wired properly. I am getting the neck pickup on in position 1 (usually just bridge), both pickups active on both position 2 and 3. Any chance someone has any suggestions on re-wire to get the correct behaviors?

The wiring is as follows:
    1(left) - 8(right)
    1-2 (bridged with solder) bridge pickup hot soldered to 2
    bridge ground soldered to ground pad left on the switch
    4-5 (bridged with solder) wire on 5 going to middle pole of volume pot
    ground for the above wire is soldered to right ground pad of switch to ground solder on the back of the volume pot
    7-8 (bridged with solder) neck pickup hot soldered to 8
    neck ground soldered to ground pad right on the switch

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200408_174636.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	5853737

Re: Active blackouts swap into ESP LTD H-338

I'm not the brightest bulb when it comes to electronics, but with these type of switches, I connect 2-3 and 6-7. 1 and 8 are not used. But if you know how to use a multimeter to check continuity, its real easy to find out which lugs to use in each position to get what you want. The SD schematics are great, but if memory serves me right, they always use non-import switches on the drawings which leaves figuring out the switch lugs to the user. Also, by the end of the day, you'll have many more great advices on here, so just be patient! In the meantime you can try what I suggested, not much can go wrong.

Comment

Re: Active blackouts swap into ESP LTD H-338

Thanks a lot for the tip @nexion218! I have a multimeter and will check it out. I figured it would be wise to ask for advice in the meantime. The instructions definitely were a bit confusing and the more posts I looked at with other diagrams of import (which I assume this is considered) 3 way switches, the more confused I got. I will definitely give the suggestion a shot.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
      X