Custom sh5 vs black winter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom sh5 vs black winter

I am wanting to replace pickups in my keisel vanquish 7. mahogany body, maple neck, ebony board.

my fafavorite pickups ever are the duncan custom and the duncan distortion. I also have a nazgul in a schecter that is not coming out any time soon.
    with mahogany I usually go with the custom because the distortion seems to congested in mahogany for my taste.

I love the custom but if I had one gripe it's that I wish the middle pushed harder than they did. nothing a amp tweak doesnt fix but if I wanted to be picky that's what I would gripe over.

I am really interested in the black winter. it sounds close to the distortion but it also sounds like it would be less congested in the same way the custom is bit it's also still a very muddy pup. seems like a good middle ground for me.

you guys think I am correct? maybe I should stick to what I know and run some extra middle on my amp with the custom?

btw it does feel and sound different to me still when the pup is pushing the mids adding on the amp can fix 85% of it but seems like scooping the amp on a mid heavy pup doesnt do as well.

Custom sh5 vs black winter

I only have experience with these in a Les Paul into JCM900, Orange AD50 or VOX AC30, and note I’m not a metal player, hard rock/80’s metal might be the hardest I’ll play, but

The Custom in mine was like a cleaner brighter Distortion.

The Distortion was like a 500T with much more character and life, felt like a wider frequency range/response but with a bit of a rounder bottom end.

The Black Winter was a different animal altogether, very sterile, flat and even, no character that I’m used to, sounded very much like an active pickup, clean and required the amp to do all the work of creating personality. But that’s just my experience. I’ve read other guys having different experience, like some felt the BW had a great mid push to it. (I didn’t get that out of it)
    Last edited by beaubrummels; 04-09-2020, 03:40 AM.

Comment

Re: Custom sh5 vs black winter

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
      I only have experience with these in a Les Paul into JCM900, Orange AD50 or VOX AC30, and note I’m not a metal player, hard rock/80’s metal might be the hardest I’ll play, but

The Custom in mine was like a cleaner brighter Distortion.

The Distortion was like a 500T with much more character and life, felt like a wider frequency range/response but with a bit of a rounder bottom end.

The Black Winter was a different animal altogether, very sterile, flat and even, no character that I’m used to, sounded very much like an active pickup, clean and required the amp to do all the work of creating personality. But that’s just my experience. I’ve read other guys having different experience, like some felt the BW had a great mid push to it. (I didn’t get that out of it)
      I appreciate this. that exactly what I dont want. I like my sound with some teeth and attitude.

Comment

Re: Custom sh5 vs black winter

I would concentrate on the characteristics of the actual guitar and not what wood it's made of. "Mahogany" doesn't mean anything by itself. What does the guitar as a whole need?

More teeth and attitude sounds like a Nazgul 7 or a Distortion 7 could be right up your alley.

The Black Winter is a great pickup, but it's more like a clean slate for your own tonal tweaks, rather than having gobs of character on its own.

Comment

Working...
        X