No announcement yet.

Suggestions - neck single coil to match 80's SH-5 Duncan Custom bridge pickup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Suggestions - neck single coil to match 80's SH-5 Duncan Custom bridge pickup

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
    i wouldnt say the ssl6 is piercing at all but different rigs give different tones. youd hate a vintage single coil the qp is fatter and hotter than the ssl6 to my ears. the qp look badass in the guitar by the way. i assume you have 500k pots in there
    Yes, 500K pots. I did swap them with some Charvel take-offs I got from Stratosphereparts (whole harness and 5-way switch).... So now the volume is a low friction EVH Bournes 500K, and the tone is a no-load 500K (it has a detent at full open - I guess it goes straight to ground at that position??). The stock ones were also 500K, but were some small pidly little things. In any case, I like the swap. I don't get why the equivalent Pro Mod Charvels seem to get better pots and wiring too.

PS - the QP's aka SSL-4's are nice. Fuller and sweeter sounding is how I'd describe them vs the SSL-6.

--------------------------------------------------------------
    '19 Charvel DK24 HH - Chlorine Burst / '19 Jackson SL3 - Chlorine Burst / '20 Charvel San Dimas HH - Gloss Black
    Marshall JCM800 20W head + SC212 cab / Mesa Boogie Mark V:25 1x10 Combo + Thiele 1x12

Comment

Re: Suggestions - neck single coil to match 80's SH-5 Duncan Custom bridge pickup

500k volume and no load tone would give a bright tone for sure, betcha the guitar sounds great

Comment

Originally posted by Ascension View Post
        Some advice when running singles with a bucker in the bridge you will split with the single in the middle. Always RUN THE RW/RP PICKUP IN THE NECK AND THE STANDARD WIND IN THE MIDDLE!! That way the bridge split in the conventional way will be humbucking with the single in the middle. Have both my Washburn MG 120 and my Kiesel DC 135 set up where the bucker auto splits in pos 2 when used with the single in the middle like this. This way only pos 3 and 5 on the way are not humbucking.
        Originally posted by mi_canuck View Post
        I just kept it as the same config as stock, which is listed here (https://www.jacksonguitars.com/gear/...mah/2914322521), unless it's wrong? When I took out the originals, the stickers were under foam that was glued to the back of the pickups, so I couldn't confirm which was which. When I removed the foam, the stickers were trashed and illegible.

As I have it, the only position that has single coil hum is in position 5 (ie. neck only).

Here's how the switching is set up in this Jackson:

5-Position Blade:
        Position 1. Bridge Pickup
        Position 2. Inner Coil of Bridge and Middle Pickup
        Position 3. Neck and Bridge Outer Coil
        Position 4. Neck and Middle Pickup
        Position 5. Neck Pickup

Update - a little snafu on my part. Reason I was getting no noise in all but position 5 ("neck") was that I had the pickups wired backwards (ie. neck wired to the middle switch position, and vice version). As soon as I flipped them, noise in position 2, 3 and 4, along with 5. So YUP... RWRP indeed belongs in the neck. I had to rip both out again, re-snake the wires which was a *****, and resolder to the "correct this time" switch positions. All good now. Lesson learned.

'19 Charvel DK24 HH - Chlorine Burst / '19 Jackson SL3 - Chlorine Burst / '20 Charvel San Dimas HH - Gloss Black
        Marshall JCM800 20W head + SC212 cab / Mesa Boogie Mark V:25 1x10 Combo + Thiele 1x12

Comment

Working...
        X