59' Vs. Alnico II Pro NECK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 59' Vs. Alnico II Pro NECK

Going off the tone charts and specs and such, they're very very similar. I do enjoy the tone of my Alnico II Pro in the neck slot, it's super nice for clean and the sustain is excellent, but i'm just finding it too dark with gain, I guess you could call it "muddy". And going from the Custom 5 in my bridge, it's just too warm in comparison for them to be a good match together, even if the middle position sounds very good. As for the neck slot itself, I'd like more note seperation - more pick attack. Would a 59' cure this? I do tend to like Alnico 5 overall in just about any application. I'm looking for a slightly brighter tone with more note seperation, but not necessarily Jazz bright. Or would a 59 be much the same mud, (meaning maybe i should just go straight to a Jazz) . I do remember really liking the 59' when I tried it before. Just not sure how it compares to the A2P.

Just curious what your experiences have been. I've never been too much of a neck humbucker guy, I've always obsessed over the details of my bridge humbuckers, and was able to make any neck pickup work since I didn't use them much. Now this is the first time I've tried a search for the perfect neck one as i've been really into playing on my neck position.
    Last edited by BeKindRewind; 04-09-2020, 11:29 AM.

Re: 59' Vs. Alnico II Pro NECK

The 59 is going to have a quicker attack with more bottom and more top than the AlnicoII has. Have used both and between them the Alnico II is warmer and smoother with a softer attack. I would look at ether an Alnico IV in the II or a SNS. The Alnico IV mag will give you a much more balanced and clearer tone overall in particular with gain. Have a 59 with an Alnico IV mag paired with a JB in my Washburn MG 102 an it sounds great!
    Last edited by Ascension; 04-09-2020, 11:40 AM.
    Guitars
    Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
    Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

I find the '59 neck to be clearer and sharper than the A2P. The '59 can go from bright to bassy depending on how you adjust it's height and the height of the poles, but it always maintains a slight mid range scoop that works well in the neck position.
      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I would absolutely try an A4 mag in that A2 Pro first. It sounds like you're looking for more of a tweak than a wholesale change.

Comment

I think you would really like the Jazz. It's definitely a humbucker, but with all the clarity and without the mud.

Comment

As someone who uses neck humbuckers 80% of the time, I'd say that the biggest difference is that the Alnico II has this warm mid thing going on, with not a ton of attack. The bass isn't huge either, but you don't care because the mids sound so good. The 59 is way more open, tighter bass, peak-ier highs. I don't think it occupies as much 'sonic space' in a mix. Good for a 2 guitar band, or if you like to layer overdubs. It is also great for a mid-heavy guitar body.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

The 59 would help but if it’s dark enough I’d consider the Jazz. Not all guitars sound the same and a jazz might be just perfect in a neck that you find too dark. 59 is a great pickup. Also consider a Seth Lover if you’re aren’t playing very loud or with a lot of gain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Get the 59
                Originally posted by Bad City
                He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

59 is a near perfect moderate to high gain neck pickup and it will match well with the Custom 5. Pull the trigger.

Comment

'59N is more percussive and gets chimey when you roll back.
                    The A2Pro is looser and gets flutey when you roll back.

I like the 59N a lot and it sounds to me as if it'd suit you well. It's full, and punchier. Also has nice pick attack for neck leads.
                    One place it isn't great is a guitar with a very fat character like certain Les Pauls, where it can get tubby at high gain.

BTW, did you know that swapping out the A2 in favor of an A5 in your A2Pro will make it a Jazz?
                    The coils are the same, only the magnets are different. Might be worth trying before you replace it.
                    Or you can pretty much split the difference with an unoriented A5.

Someone upthread also suggested A4; I like A4 in neck position but never tried it in this wind.
                    For a couple of dollars I'd say it's worth trying both.

Still, I've been a fan of the 59N for forty years.
                    "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

I am a big Alnico II Pro fan, but I can also confirm that both sound pretty good split, too. But with a Custom 5, I'd pick the 59.

Comment

With a Custom 5 I’d put a Jazz neck, Pearly neck or Seth neck before I’d consider a 59 neck.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                          With a Custom 5 I’d put a Jazz neck, Pearly neck or Seth neck before I’d consider a 59 neck.
                          Yeah, I'd use a Jazz, but that isn't the choice we were given.

Comment

Just swap the A2 for an A5. It’s like 5 bucks. Instant Jazz.

Comment

Originally posted by Bowtomecha View Post
                              Just swap the A2 for an A5. It’s like 5 bucks. Instant Jazz.
                              ^ This

Comment

Working...
                              X