Matching Duncan cream singles to Dimarzio cream 'buckers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matching Duncan cream singles to Dimarzio cream 'buckers

Has anyone had any luck matching Duncan cream single coil covers to Dimarzio cream humbuckers?

I have an HSS strat, and the color mismatch makes my OCD hurt...

If you know where to get covers that fit Duncans but color match Dimarzio's, you'll be my new favorite person
    Gibson LP, Burstbucker 3 A6, 490R A4
    Gibson LP, Pearly Gates A6, Sentient A4
    Gibson LP BFG, Burstbucker A8, P90
    Gibson SG special T, GFS Crunchy Mini, Gibson mini A3
    Strat SSS, SD STK-6 , SSL1 middle, Bootstrap Sparkle Neck
    Strat HSS hardtail, Perpetual Burn A6, Bootstrap Sparkle mid/neck
    Tele, DMZ Area Hot T, Gibson Mini A3
    Tele, DMZ Pegasus A2, Gibson Mini A3
    Jackson V, SD Pegasus bridge, 490R A5
    PRS SE CU24: Air Norton A2, 490R A3

Re: Matching Duncan cream singles to Dimarzio cream 'buckers

I suggest punching Larry DiMArzio in the face because he's a b!tch. It won't help match the buckers to the singles, but it will make you feel better.
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
      I suggest punching Larry DiMArzio in the face because he's a b!tch. It won't help match the buckers to the singles, but it will make you feel better.
      Why is he a *****? Genuine curiosity. Not being smart.

Comment

Trademarking double cream even though it was a Gibson thing.
        Trademarking PAF even though its a Gibson thing.

Comment

Yeah, he got a one-up on the rest of the market by being semi-dishonest about his trademarks/patents early on.

Have you seen the cream covers SD offers? Never compared them to DiMarzio's cream (actually, DiMarzio has a couple tones of cream depending on year and bobbin material), but they seem to be close:

Seymour Duncan pickup covers for Strat-style single coil pickups that have six pole pieces. Cream covers with logo. Fits most Seymour Duncan single coil pickups that have standard size pole pieces. Does not fit stacked humbuckers, Quarter-Pound or rails pickups, and some custom or OEM pickups. ...

Comment

Not that trademark thing again...

Double cream never was a Gibson thing, it was Dimarzio. Gibson thing was chrome/nickel covered pickups not double cream at all, even if they used cream bobins once upon a time (because unavailability of black bobins) and people started removing covers on their Gibson. In the '70s and '80s, the double cream was really Dimarzio Super Distortion. Other pickup makers started to offer double cream and Dimarzio used a Trademark to protect them. Fare enough. I think Seymour Duncan would have done the same thing if Dimarzio started to put an SD logo on their Super Distortion pickup.

The PAF trademark on the other hand I don't understand.

Comment

Larry only got the idea for double cream because of the already exposed bobbins on his Les Paul. He didn't come up with the idea himself and discover that Gibson had done it in tandem.
              And there was plenty of buzz about that look due to Eric Clapton's Beano Les Paul which sported the same thing, and was a hugely influential guitarist at the same time that his ideas for pickup winding was becoming a business proposition..

Comment

Duncan aged/parchment covers will never match DiMarzio creme. They are distinctly different colors. You could get white ones and try to tint them until they get close to DiMarzios however.

Comment

The covers I linked to are specifically "Cream", not parchment

Comment

Ah right, singles don’t have the copyright restriction

Comment

I feel like the DiMarzio cream is a bit more "orange" looking. IMO, Seymour's take on cream is nicer.

Comment

Originally posted by Peteshreds View Post
                        I feel like the DiMarzio cream is a bit more "orange" looking. IMO, Seymour's take on cream is nicer.
                        I recently swapped to DiMarzio creme in both neck and bridge on an LP.
                        But pic by retailer on DP103 for neck were like you said more like orange almost - and pic for DP100 for bridge looked more creme.
                        So I looked like crazy if there were two similar creme and a difference cream and creme or something - but no.
                        When I got them they were both light yellow - or proper creme.

So don't be fooled by some pics, is what I try to say.

And darned pretty they are. Really close to pickup frame and bindings on guitar.

Comment

Originally posted by Peteshreds View Post
                          I always thought that, too...it has this orange-yellow thing going on that I don't like.
                          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Comment

As you can see from my picture above, "cream" has its own rainbow of shades and tones. I didn't have a DiMarzio PAF-type on hand to throw in the mix, but their glossier bobbins are an even different shade of cream. Probably should have included my Suhr Aldrich, though. Oh well.

I think the most attractive one is the '70s JB by far. The newer DiMarzio Air Norton/Tone Zone are just a slightly darker/warmer version of that same tone.

The EBMM Axis pickup has a noticeably lighter and slightly yellow-ish bobbin than it's other DiMarzio peers and the Black Winter's cream bobbin is like a washed out version of that.

In person, each of these "looks" cream when viewed alone or next to its matching neck/bridge pickup, but compared collectively, you can see all the different colors, even from the same company.

Comment

Working...
                              X