Quick clip with the PRS Archon 50 Head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick clip with the PRS Archon 50 Head

Was working on the Easter set we are recording tonight and had my camera in the room so threw a quick low volume demo of the Archon together. Playing my Carvin ST 300 with a Hybrid bridge and SNS neck. Running nothing but a HOF mini in the loop as the Archon doesn't have built in verb and the guitar only has a 3 way no taps so everything is full humbucker.
    Quick sloppy throw together as I was packing to head out to the recording session.
    Guitars
    Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
    Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Re: Quick clip with the PRS Archon 50 Head

Originally posted by Ascension View Post
    Was working on the Easter set we are recording tonight and had my camera in the room so threw a quick low volume demo of the Archon together. Playing my Carvin ST 300 with a Hybrid bridge and SNS neck. Running nothing but a HOF mini in the loop as the Archon doesn't have built in verb and the guitar only has a 3 way no taps so everything is full humbucker.
    Quick sloppy throw together as I was packing to head out to the recording session.
    Sounds very compressed & buzzy. Beats what i started on 40 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by JMP/HBE View Post
      Sounds very compressed & buzzy.
      Definitely a harshness to it that sounds odd to my ear

Comment

The sound kinda reminds me of those Mesa Triple Rectifiers that were all the rage in the 00s.
        Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
        This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Sounds pretty fine to me..

There's some extra compression ...but that's understandable since the gain's cranked pretty high ('gain' seems to be a bad word these days ) and the recording probably compressed it more, plus the lows are'nt coming through..

Bet that amp would sound sweet standing out in front of it ...or in a recording
          "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
          If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Buzzy or harsh is not even in the ballpark for this amp and it has bottom for days plus the gain was only at about 10 oclock. Super low bedroom volume so that was a factor. Warmest and smoothest high gain amp with real clarity I have ever played through. Guess need to get it out some where it can really breath as wouldn't swap this thing tone wise at volume for a really good SLO. Makes my Boogies and every Marshall I have ever owned sound thin buzzy and harsh in comparison.
            Last edited by Ascension; 04-11-2020, 09:33 PM.
            Guitars
            Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
            Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Snapped that out quick on the way out the door headed for a recording. You guys are right it does sound odd and trust me NOTHING like it sounded in the room with it. Owned a lot of really high end amps over the years but this thing really knocks me out every time I plug into it. What is sad is had several outdoor City fests that we were playing this spring but---.
              Guitars

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                The sound kinda reminds me of those Mesa Triple Rectifiers that were all the rage in the 00s.
                Honestly you can make an old or newer t-rec sound about however you want. It's all about the user.
                Just switching to vintage high-gain instantly drops the fizz at lower volumes.
                With the volume even moderate the fizz is totally controllable in modern mode also.
                Raw mode with some goosed gain, treble and presence makes an amazing platform for boost/od pedals.

Comment

Originally posted by dave74 View Post
                  Honestly you can make an old or newer t-rec sound about however you want. It's all about the user.
                  Just switching to vintage high-gain instantly drops the fizz at lower volumes.
                  With the volume even moderate the fizz is totally controllable in modern mode also.
                  Raw mode with some goosed gain, treble and presence makes an amazing platform for boost/od pedals.

Yep i have a MESA DR. Sounds nothing like the PRS and extremely well made. Honestly Asian made PRS stuff is okay but Paul has gotten away from his mission statement. Clearly he isn't able to sell enough guitars to pay the bills or he wouldn't have gotten into all these other areas of marketing. Usually
                  when a company does that the next step is bankruptcy because its not sustaining. Ive never met a PRS product i had to have. Never been a fan of their guitars either. Having said that if the PRS SE Tremonti guitar would have been available in say 1971 i would have been all over it. Amps not so much.
                  Last edited by JMP/HBE; 04-12-2020, 05:12 AM.

Comment

I'll bet the Blackstar cab has a 70/80 in it, not a fan of that speaker at all. And yes, low volume doesn't let it breath, but still sounds like a great amp!

Comment

Yep i have a MESA DR. Sounds nothing like the PRS and extremely well made. Honestly Asian made PRS stuff is okay but Paul has gotten away from his mission statement. Clearly he isn't able to sell enough guitars to pay the bills or he wouldn't have gotten into all these other areas of marketing. Usually
                      when a company does that the next step is bankruptcy because its not sustaining. Ive never met a PRS product i had to have. Never been a fan of their guitars either. Having said that if the PRS SE Tremonti guitar would have been available in say 1971 i would have been all over it. Amps not so much.
                      The Archon is not Asian-made.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
                        The Archon is not Asian-made.
                        For $2300 you would hope not. The ole "assembled in USA" thing.

I think Paul could sell 24 karat turds in burled walnut and some folks would buy it if it has "PRS" on it.

Last edited by JMP/HBE; 04-12-2020, 11:28 AM.

Comment

For $2300 you would hope not. The ole "assembled in USA" thing.

I think Paul could sell 24 karat turds in burled walnut and some folks would buy it if it has "PRS" on it.

Nobody makes an amp that all the parts are MIA, resistors, capcitors, etc... are all made outside of the US, mostly in Asia.

Comment

Originally posted by Ascension View Post
                            Snapped that out quick on the way out the door headed for a recording. You guys are right it does sound odd and trust me NOTHING like it sounded in the room with it. Owned a lot of really high end amps over the years but this thing really knocks me out every time I plug into it. What is sad is had several outdoor City fests that we were playing this spring but---.
                            I get the recording limitations, so my imagination fills in the blanks. Thinking that it’s a cool sound!

Comment

It reminds me of the Carvin sound.
                              You should run them in stereo for a kick.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X