Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Quick clip with the PRS Archon 50 Head

Originally posted by JMP/HBE View Post

Yep i have a MESA DR. Sounds nothing like the PRS and extremely well made. Honestly Asian made PRS stuff is okay but Paul has gotten away from his mission statement. Clearly he isn't able to sell enough guitars to pay the bills or he wouldn't have gotten into all these other areas of marketing. Usually
    when a company does that the next step is bankruptcy because its not sustaining. Ive never met a PRS product i had to have. Never been a fan of their guitars either. Having said that if the PRS SE Tremonti guitar would have been available in say 1971 i would have been all over it. Amps not so much.
    My Archon is no import its a hand built US amp and will give any Boogie a run in construction. The MT-15 is however an import. Own 2 Boogies now from the 1990's and have owned quite a few over the years and the 2 I have now aren't going anywhere so not slagging them. However this Archon is the absolute equal of the very best of the Boogies in build quality as are most of the real US PRS amps.
    Guitars
    Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
    Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
      Nobody makes an amp that all the parts are MIA, resistors, capacitors, etc... are all made outside of the US, mostly in Asia.
      Unfortunately ( for now anyway ) You are correct.
      This Archon isn't a import like the SE, Sonsera or the MT-15 it is a hand wired amp and was US built in Massachusetts. Cleans sound like a very very good old Fender warm, round and very forgiving with tons of headroom. The crunch side is unique in some ways it is similar to a Rec but is a LOT more alive, dynamic and open harmonically. It's a VERY touch sensitive fluid and dynamic amp!! I stole the Archon off another rather large forum for just about the same price a new import MT-15 would be shipped and including tax so--. Build date on it is April 2019 came in all the factory packaging with all the paperwork with the footswitch and was mint. Now I want a 2 channel C head LOL!!
      Last edited by Ascension; 04-18-2020, 01:26 AM.
      Guitars
      Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
      Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

I'll bet the Blackstar cab has a 70/80 in it, not a fan of that speaker at all. And yes, low volume doesn't let it breath, but still sounds like a great amp!
        Did when I got it but is long gone. Has had several speakers in the cab settled on a WGS Retro 30 and this cab is a MONSTER!! One of the best 1/12's I have ever heard and will spank many 2/12's!
        Head to head Archon 50 VS 5150III 50 and the cab is loaded with Heritage 30's which I absolutely do not care for with the PRS amps!.
        Last edited by Ascension; 04-17-2020, 11:01 PM.
        Guitars

Comment

Originally posted by Ascension View Post
          Unfortunately ( for now anyway ) You are correct.
          Component manufacturing will never come back to the US, and hasn't been here for decades. I was speaking to JMP/HBE who seemed to imply (I could be wrong) that his Mesa was built with US made components.

Comment

Component manufacturing will never come back to the US, and hasn't been here for decades. I was speaking to JMP/HBE who seemed to imply (I could be wrong) that his Mesa was built with US made components.
            Don't be so sure about that.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Said that about a lot of things that have radically changed over the last 3 years. Kinda depends on where we go leadership wise here. Made a choice to buy American when I can examples are 11 guitars all US built 6 amps 5 US built all my guns US built mostly Duncan pickups but ALL Us built ect.
              Last edited by Ascension; 04-18-2020, 12:09 PM.
              Guitars

Comment

We haven't manufactured small components in ages, not sure it would ever be cost effective for resistors, capacitors, chips, etc... again, but I could be wrong.

Comment

We haven't manufactured small components in ages, not sure it would ever be cost effective for resistors, capacitors, chips, etc... again, but I could be wrong.
                  Know you are right but this Corona Virus issue is showing why this is a real problem. We shall see what happens with it all. We flat got caught flat footed on a number of things by this fiasco because things could simply not be built here because we no longer produce specific things we needed desperately like those you mentioned. In particular some of the drugs and components needed for respirators. There may be some bright spots in this thing if this changes and hopefully it will.
                  Guitars

Comment

The only way that production of electrical components moves back to north america is if we start charging massively more of the components. Things like a minimum wage, environmental protection, and safe working conditions are expensive. Maybe you would be happy to pay three or four times the price for the same amp with made in the US components that have the same failure rate and longevity of their Chinese counterparts . . . But my experience is that the majority of people will not.
                    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

If it can be automated, it could be brought back. Anything labor intensive won't be

Comment

Originally posted by chadd View Post
                        If it can be automated, it could be brought back. Anything labor intensive won't be
                        It's more than just processes, there are also nasty chemicals that need to be disposed of in some of the processes, and most of the places where a lot of these things are made don't have an EPA. Why do you think tubes haven't been made in the US for almost 50 years, it's not because we can't do it.

Comment

It's more than just processes, there are also nasty chemicals that need to be disposed of in some of the processes, and most of the places where a lot of these things are made don't have an EPA. Why do you think tubes haven't been made in the US for almost 50 years, it's not because we can't do it.
                          That's certainly another aspect, but there are some things coming back due to automation

Comment

FWIW, pretty much all of component processes are automated, you can't built today's components by hand, there are millions of microscopic transistor circuits in a micro-processor.

Comment

Tubes are not likely several have tried and it was not possible due to labor costs and environmental regs. Many of the other components may however be. We shall see and much will depend on the next election in this. The Covid 19 thing and the fact that we could no longer produce many components we needed for things like Respirators and drugs here in the US really sent shock waves through a LOT of folks. We shall see what the future holds.
                              Guitars

Comment

FWIW, pretty much all of component processes are automated, you can't built today's components by hand, there are millions of microscopic transistor circuits in a micro-processor.
                                True for digital circuits but most high end tube guitar amps have little if any digital technology in them. They are 80-90% analog so much of this will not apply.
                                Guitars

Comment

Working...
                                X