New to guitar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to guitar

I got an old Gibson flying V recently and I like the guitar, it's way lighter than I would have expected and it's fun to play. The pickups look like they're the ones that came with the guitar (though I'm not positive) but the neck pickup is really quiet. I am looking to replace the pickups with some good ones, but I don't know what to get. I only play the kind of music I like (I like Metallica, Slayer, GnR stuff like that). I also can't afford to keep buying pickups to try out till I get ones I like. The amp I have is a 2X12 Line 6 spider too. Any suggestions?

Re: New to guitar

I wouldn't buy anything for it, until you establish if it's set up correctly -just so you at least know what the guitars supposed to be able to do -then make that decision

Take a pic and post the guitar and do a side view showing both pickups.

volume could just be pickup height adjustment.
    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

First try raising the neck pup.

Sent from my REVVLPLUS C3701A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by shupe13 View Post
        First try raising the neck pup.

Sent from my REVVLPLUS C3701A using Tapatalk
        Ok. I'll try raising it

Comment

Ok I raised it. It still sounds really quiet. I'm going to take the pickguard off and see if there's anything in there that looks loose or broken.

Comment

That's a good idea. If you can, take pics of the wiring and the backs of the pickups while you're in there

Comment

A bad switch or volume potentiometer could result in really low volume from a pickup. Those things can wear out or get damaged from getting hit but still look fine
              Last edited by Dave Locher; 04-10-2020, 09:21 PM.

Comment

I wanna see this cool Flying V.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                X