banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody Else Like Tele Bridge Pickups In A Strat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody Else Like Tele Bridge Pickups In A Strat?

I like tele bridge pickups in some of my strat builds.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0074.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	5853740

Name:	IMG_0083.jpg
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	5853741

Name:	IMG_0151.jpg
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	5853742

Re: Anybody Else Like Tele Bridge Pickups In A Strat?

yep. worked for lowell george too

Comment

Isn’t this why the twangbanger was invented? (Or am I mixing that up the other way around?)

Comment

Not my thing, but I am all for people realizing what works for them.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

yeah, the twangbanger has a base plate so it does get some of that flavor but its still a strat pup, a good one though!

Comment

Can someone educate me on Tele pickups vs Strat pickups in a Strat please? What a Tele pickup can accomplish that a Strat pickup cannot?

Comment

Tele pickups are a thicker almost Humbucker sound. They have a metal baseplate that I believe was originally to reduce noise, but it also changes the sound compared to normal stat pickups.

Comment

If you look at the SD offering called Twangbanger, you can have the tele bridge sound in your strat without messing around.
                Last edited by hamerfan; 04-10-2020, 10:40 AM.
                I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

I think the unique design of a Tele pickup provides some 'Tele-ness' in a Strat. If course the other part of the equation is the Tele bridge (it helps to play music you associate with a Tele). I think the Twang Banger does a respectable job getting that sound, though.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

My 01 Mary Kay strat... Bought it from the bankruptcy sale of Mars for like 400 dollars way back when. Swamp ash body, very light, very resonant... And have been using it ever since.

Bridge:

Neck:

I've used a Duncan JD in the bridge for quite a while. But then a2 sorta started feeling too soft. I tried a Broadcaster and I did not click with that sucker. So ended up getting a Hamel Broadcaster (alnico 3) way back from some connections over in the TDPRI. Used it for quite a long time until it died on me. I had gotten the pickup with Ron's help back then, then he was kind enough to rewind that pickup. But sadly the rewound version also died on me. But while getting it rewound by him, I've got his 10K Broadcaster and that's what I have now. Now I hear his (Ron's) waiting list is quite long...

B
                    Attached Files
                    FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

RioGrande makes one called the Stelly that mounts in a Strat pickguard without modification.
                      Same 8.5K/A5 wind as the Tele bridge they call the Muy Grande, which kicks butt in one of my Teles.
                      I like Rios; have a few of their humbucker models too.
                      "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post
                        RioGrande makes one called the Stelly that mounts in a Strat pickguard without modification.
                        Same 8.5K/A5 wind as the Tele bridge they call the Muy Grande, which kicks butt in one of my Teles.
                        I like Rios; have a few of their humbucker models too.
                        I have the Stelly in a us strat. It’s a killer pickup. It doesn’t sound exactly like a tele, but comes very close. I am also a fan of the Rios...have singles, p-90s and Hums in a couple guitars

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Nsatke81 View Post
                          I have the Stelly in a us strat. It’s a killer pickup. It doesn’t sound exactly like a tele, but comes very close. I am also a fan of the Rios...have singles, p-90s and Hums in a couple guitars

Yah, I love the Muy Grande Tele set. Have a TallBreed hybrid humbucker too; two true singlecoils on one baseplate. Sounds perfect split, though the series tone is pluckier than I really like for a humbucker.

Also have a TX/BBQ set that came stock in a McNaught - they aren't going anywhere. Good stuff.
                          "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

I have the genuine Texas and bbq set in a 98 jackson sls.i have some tall boy hum buckets laying around unused. I got a big bastard set in an epi les Paul which slays after a fret leveling and a tall boy, talllboy rwrp stelly set in a us strat. I really like the way they respond. It’s a real thick tone but still musical and not lacking in dynamics.

Comment

I can see the rationale for it. I like my strat to be stratty, and my tele to be a tele, and I'm fortunate enough to have both. What I like about tele bridge pickups by design (and I have a tex-mex set, so this isn't like some special custom thing, all proper tele pickups should behave this way), is how responsive and chameleon-like they are. when the vol and tone are on full, it's a brittle twanger. and when the vol and tone are rolled off a bit and you crank your amp volume/gain and set the tone accordingly, it'll get fat. FAT. like gibson-esque territory. Not that strat single-coils don't have range, but they don't do what a tele bridge will do. In many ways, it's more versatile than a strat single or a humbucker.
                              Having said that, a tele isn't my favorite guitar to play, so I can see putting one in a strat and letting the strat single coils shine in what they do (when I use a traditional strat, the bride pickup is the least-used position), use the tele bridge for it's goods, and you've got a very versatile guitar.

Comment

Working...
                              X