Diagnosis madness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Diagnosis madness

I was on board with a power problem until you said Furman. I'm out.
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Did some more investigating today. Per advise offered, I checked the loop on the Randall. I'm running a 31 band eq in it and I noticed that the send and return volumes were both maxed, so I backed them off to 1 o clock. Bumped the master on the eq slightly to compensate.
      I also checked the power supply feeding my pedals. The junction where the wire meets the transformer was frayed and I could see copper. Replaced it with a new power supply. Ran the Randall through it's paces (with an X2N and a Metalzone) and it seemed to hold up just fine.
      Warmed up the Picovalve and gave it a check and it seemed good too.
      Hopefully it holds up. I think that the power supply was the primary issue and the fluctuation that I thought that I heard playing direct was due to the loop levels being maxed in the Randall. I'll put it down to ear fatigue playing direct into the Picovalve (no separate gain channel on that one).
      So, as it's been said, so far, so good (and yes, so what).
      Thanks to all for the assistance.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

so it was all of the above

sweet
        hope it works out
        EHD
        Just here surfing Guitar Pron
        RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
        SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
        Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
        Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
        Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
        Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
        GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
          so it was all of the above

sweet
          hope it works out
          That's what makes diagnosing electrical stuff such a b#$ch. I just hope that it holds.

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
            The power conditioner is a Furman ML-8. Don't know if it's just a glorified power strip, though it certainly may be.
            It's also possible that it's a component in both of the amps getting ready to fail, and if so, I wish that it would just hurry up and get it over with.

That's more a rack power strip with pull out convenience lights and basic AC filtering and something like a Metal Oxide Varistor for Surge protecting. It's good for RF and EMI interference.... but it isn't doing anything for a variable Voltage stability and true clean power

I mean it might be possible that you've worn out both amps with overdriving the pre (I'm guessing your not killing the power/post these days in your backyard.) and you got a pre amp component in both that has the same warm up/temperature issue because you've smacked both amps in the face with way way way high level from your MT2 or something like that.
            “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Did some more investigating today. Per advise offered, I checked the loop on the Randall. I'm running a 31 band eq in it and I noticed that the send and return volumes were both maxed, so I backed them off to 1 o clock. Bumped the master on the eq slightly to compensate.
              I also checked the power supply feeding my pedals. The junction where the wire meets the transformer was frayed and I could see copper. Replaced it with a new power supply. Ran the Randall through it's paces (with an X2N and a Metalzone) and it seemed to hold up just fine.
              Warmed up the Picovalve and gave it a check and it seemed good too.
              Hopefully it holds up. I think that the power supply was the primary issue and the fluctuation that I thought that I heard playing direct was due to the loop levels being maxed in the Randall. I'll put it down to ear fatigue playing direct into the Picovalve (no separate gain channel on that one).
              So, as it's been said, so far, so good (and yes, so what).
              Thanks to all for the assistance.

Cool. nice work
              “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

That's what makes diagnosing electrical stuff such a b#$ch. I just hope that it holds.

Oh lord I hope not
                I'm an electrician by trade
                EHD
                Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Working...
                X