HSH Wiring Help - Auto-PARALLEL?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HSH Wiring Help - Auto-PARALLEL?

Hey guys, so I'm trying to do a fancy HSH setup that I can't seem to come across a diagram for, and I'm not advanced enough to draw my own so I thought I'd seek higher council.

I've got a Rio Grande Crunchbox (4 wire humbucker) bridge pickup, a Vintage Rails for the middle, and a Lil 59 for the neck that are going into a Jackson Dinky HSS. I'm trying to have both bridge and neck humbuckers go into parallel when in positions 2&4 to utilize hum cancelling in all positions and also maintain Stratty-ness. If at all possible I'd really like to limit the components to a basic 5 way blade switch, 1 vol, and 1 tone, no push pulls. I've never been a fan of the sound of mini humbuckers split, so I wanted to try out parallel wiring to see if I get the quack I'm after when combined with the Vintage Rails in the middle. I wasn't sure if two humbuckers can be split into parallel on the same 5 way blade switch or if I'd need to go the super switch route? I can't seem to track down a diagram that has this exact setup, so I figured maybe someone on here could assist.

Pos 1: Neck Humbucker (Full, series)
    Pos 2: Neck Humbucker (Full, parallel) + Middle
    Pos 3: Middle (OR Neck + Bridge if possible)
    Pos 4: Bridge Humbucker (Full, parallel) + Middle
    Pos 5: Bridge Humbucker (Full, series)

5 way blade, 1 vol, 1 tone

Any and all help is much appreciated, and please let me know if I need to clarify anything further. If someone sees what I'm trying to accomplish but has a better pickup combo, please let me know as I'm just in the experimental phase right now. Thanks!
    Last edited by myampisbetter; 04-10-2020, 10:02 AM.

Re: HSH Wiring Help - Auto-PARALLEL?

A standard 5-way doesn’t have enough lugs to do this.

For parallel you have to switch two wires of the Humbuckers at the same time as switching in the middle pickup hot.

A super switch might even not work either because you’ve got eight wire destinations total to be managed by only four sets of lugs on the super switch. Maybe there’s a tricky way to do it. Need to think for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
      A standard 5-way doesn’t have enough lugs to do this.

For parallel you have to switch two wires of the Humbuckers at the same time as switching in the middle pickup hot.

A super switch might even not work either because you’ve got eight wire destinations total to be managed by only four sets of lugs on the super switch. Maybe there’s a tricky way to do it. Need to think for a while.
      Cool, thanks man! So there’s an HH Ibanez writing scheme that utilizes a 5 way blade with pos 2 being the neck humbucker in parallel. Is this not possible with the HSH setup because of the additional pickup taking up lugs?

Click image for larger version

Name:	9246F462-D2F9-47AA-A9EE-D15ABB41168A.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	5818690

Thanks again!

Comment

HSH Wiring Help - Auto-PARALLEL?

Originally posted by myampisbetter View Post
        Cool, thanks man! So there’s an HH Ibanez writing scheme that utilizes a 5 way blade with pos 2 being the neck humbucker in parallel. Is this not possible with the HSH setup because of the additional pickup taking up lugs?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]104109[/ATTACH]

Thanks again!
        I’d need to know the lug numbering of that specific switch to figure out what the switch is doing.

Comment

I’d need to know the lug numbering of that specific switch to figure out what the switch is doing.
          I'm not sure of the numbering, but I can find out. I believe that's just a basic Cortek import 5 way switch. I'm pretty sure the connections are (left to right):

Bridge - Middle - Neck - Output - Output - Neck - Middle - Bridge

Is that what you're asking?
          Last edited by myampisbetter; 04-11-2020, 10:50 AM. Reason: Added switch brand/type.

Comment

Just bumpin'.

Comment

I can’t tell how that switch is accomplishing parallel coils on the neck in position 2 if that is the switch lug assignments.

Comment

Originally posted by grumptruck
                Actually I was wrong... Ben uses Split positions in 3.

https://youtu.be/kgJFPCjdMLk?t=666
                Oooo!... I wasn't aware you could tweak a Youtube link so it starts playing from a specific timemark, like you did here with "?t=666". That is going to come in handy. Thanks!
                Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

I can’t tell how that switch is accomplishing parallel coils on the neck in position 2 if that is the switch lug assignments.
                  I'm not sure of the numbering, but I can find out. I believe that's just a basic Cortek import 5 way switch. I'm pretty sure the connections are (left to right):

Bridge - Middle - Neck - Output - Output - Neck - Middle - Bridge

Is that what you're asking?
                  The switch in that Ibanez diagram is a specialized superswitch, the 3PS1SC5. I wrote about it in a recent thread that also describes strengths and weaknesses of that switch as well as other alternate superswitch candidate choices. Here is the thread.
                  Post #2 in particular.
                  [Edit: corrected link below]

Also, I am currently sketching out on paper if it is possible for any superswitch to provide Humbucker In Parallel +midddle pickup in a HSH format without reliance on another switch or push-pull, like the OP requested. Will let you know shortly what I determine for that. Head's up: it doesn't look good, haha.
                  Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 04-13-2020, 05:37 PM.
                  Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Actually, it is this link that gives the comparison of the 3PS1SC5 to other superswitch types. The prior link is more of an orientation to the 3PS1SC5.

Comment

Hey guys, so I'm trying to do a fancy HSH setup that I can't seem to come across a diagram for, and I'm not advanced enough to draw my own so I thought I'd seek higher council.

I've got a Rio Grande Crunchbox (4 wire humbucker) bridge pickup, a Vintage Rails for the middle, and a Lil 59 for the neck that are going into a Jackson Dinky HSS. I'm trying to have both bridge and neck humbuckers go into parallel when in positions 2&4 to utilize hum cancelling in all positions and also maintain Stratty-ness. If at all possible I'd really like to limit the components to a basic 5 way blade switch, 1 vol, and 1 tone, no push pulls. I've never been a fan of the sound of mini humbuckers split, so I wanted to try out parallel wiring to see if I get the quack I'm after when combined with the Vintage Rails in the middle. I wasn't sure if two humbuckers can be split into parallel on the same 5 way blade switch or if I'd need to go the super switch route? I can't seem to track down a diagram that has this exact setup, so I figured maybe someone on here could assist.

Pos 1: Neck Humbucker (Full, series)
                      Pos 2: Neck Humbucker (Full, parallel) + Middle
                      Pos 3: Middle (OR Neck + Bridge if possible)
                      Pos 4: Bridge Humbucker (Full, parallel) + Middle
                      Pos 5: Bridge Humbucker (Full, series)

5 way blade, 1 vol, 1 tone

Any and all help is much appreciated, and please let me know if I need to clarify anything further. If someone sees what I'm trying to accomplish but has a better pickup combo, please let me know as I'm just in the experimental phase right now. Thanks!
                      Question: you say above that you want to do this humbucker-in-parallel +middle pickup to achieve humbucking and stratty-ness... the typical approach that satisfies those requirements is humbucker-split+middle pickup... is there a reason why you don't want that? A superswitch can definitely support that with no issue...

[Edit: in fact, humbucker-in-parallel+ middle will NOT be humbucking because the middle pickup is a 3rd coil that is unmatched... would need a 4th coil to provide humbucking for it]
                      Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 04-13-2020, 05:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_TriPpEr View Post
                        Question: you say above that you want to do this humbucker-in-parallel +middle pickup to achieve humbucking and stratty-ness... the typical approach that satisfies those requirements is humbucker-split+middle pickup... is there a reason why you don't want that? A superswitch can definitely support that with no issue...

[Edit: in fact, humbucker-in-parallel+ middle will NOT be humbucking because the middle pickup is a 3rd coil that is unmatched... would need a 4th coil to provide humbucking for it]
                        Thanks for the replies! So, the Vintage Rails is what I’m using in the middle position, and that IS a humbucking split single coil pickup. Similar to a p bass pickup. So that’s why the whole humbuckers in parallel, they’d need to still be hum cancelling to work with that middle Vintage Rails. Hope I’m understand you correctly.

I normally would go the traditional single coil middle, but normally the middle position will be the only non-humbucking position, but since I have a vintage rails I thought I’d see if I could get ALL positions humcancelling while having similar controls to an Ibanez hsh. Hopefully I’ve explained that clear enough. Thanks again!

Comment

Thanks for the replies! So, the Vintage Rails is what I’m using in the middle position, and that IS a humbucking split single coil pickup. Similar to a p bass pickup. So that’s why the whole humbuckers in parallel, they’d need to still be hum cancelling to work with that middle Vintage Rails. Hope I’m understand you correctly.

I normally would go the traditional single coil middle, but normally the middle position will be the only non-humbucking position, but since I have a vintage rails I thought I’d see if I could get ALL positions humcancelling while having similar controls to an Ibanez hsh. Hopefully I’ve explained that clear enough. Thanks again!
                          Oops, yes, i forgot the Vintage Rails is a 2 coil pickup.

I will keep sketching to see if what you want is possible without use of an added switch... if it is not, what you could do is split the Vintage Rails to the main coil in Positions 2 and 4 and combine that with the split-humbucker of Neck or Bridge. That still achieves your stratty-ness and humbucking goals.

Comment

Well, if you split the Vintage Rails, you will get 3 strings.
                            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                              Well, if you split the Vintage Rails, you will get 3 strings.
                              Good point.

So i think the OP is out of luck to get Parallel-humbucker+middle pup in HSH format with zero additional switches being called into play.

That is because in order to put a humbucker in parallel using a 4 pole superswitch, you have to dedicate two poles of a superswitch to that humbucker. To do that for 2 humbuckers, now all 4 poles of a superswitch are consumed. None left over. This diagram helps demonstrate that.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200328_210228.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	164.7 KB
ID:	5818739

Comment

Working...
                              X