banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the quality of Mexican Fenders like?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the quality of Mexican Fenders like?

I'm eyeing a Fender Jim Root Tele. However, I'd have to buy online, so I don't have a chance to try it out. What can I expect of the quality? Is it comparable to Korea or is it more Japan-like? 1,200 seems pretty steep for a non-American Fender, but if it's any good, maybe it's worth it.

Some years ago I had what I thought was a Mexican Telecaster which only lasted less than a week in my possession because I hated the baseball bat fat neck, round fretboard, and tiny frets. But I sold it, and I later came to know it was actually a Japanese body and Mexican neck someone had put together, so I don't think that was indicative of the quality... plus I honestly don't remember how the quality of the neck was without thinking how I didn't like the specs, LOL.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 04-10-2020, 10:52 AM.

Re: What's the quality of Mexican Fenders like?

I love MIM Fenders. I've never had a bad one. I did own a Squier Jim Root Tele and it was badass. So much so my buddy made me a helluva trade for it.

Sent from my REVVLPLUS C3701A using Tapatalk

Comment

They're consistently good, rarely amazing or awful. (new contruction, early ones were more hit or miss)
      Last edited by chadd; 04-10-2020, 12:28 PM.

Comment

What's the quality of Mexican Fenders like?

I have a 2004 MIM Fat Strat with a Ping Floyd.(I think that’s what they are called)
        It’s a good guitar. I’ve gigged with it, it sounds amazing plays well.
        As stated above, my only complaint would be the smaller fret wire and if I’m being picky I like a 22 fret guitar. But I wouldn’t throw it out of bed for eating crackers.

Comment

So are the Jim Root Teles worth it? Or am I better off finding a Blacktop and dropping some EMG's in it? I do want the 12" fretboard of the JR, though...

Comment

Every MIM I've played has been a solid guitar. Worth $1200? Nope. But a solid $500.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

My Classic Player is a great guitar. I think the signature and old classic/classic player guitars are better than the old standards. I haven’t had a chance to play the newer versions.
              Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I've owned two, a Standard Tele and a Classic Series 50s Strat.

Quality wise, both were amazing. I did change the pickups in both of them, though.
                Sold them because it turns out I don't like vintage radius or tiny frets at all. But I have no complaints about their build quality.

Way better than a MIJ Prestige Ibanez I had before.
                Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
                Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
                Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
                Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

1200 does sound like a lot for a Mexican Fender, don't get me wrong, they are good to very good guitars....

but for that money you could get an American , and it would hold much more value over time.
                  “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

I like the the MIM Fenders, but why $1200 does seem a bit much. Maybe I’m missing something.

Comment

It all boils down to do you want a Jim Root Tele?

EMGs, ebony fretboard, black hardware, satin finish and custom controls add cost to the instrument.

Comment

I have had the opposite experience with Mexican Made Fenders in the last 6 years or so. One Jaguar Bass with high frets like a roller coaster, one $800 Deluxe PJ bass that needed a fairly drastic neck shim on day one out of the box to get anywhere near proper factory set-up specs. (I now have 2 Squier Vintage Modified basses to replace those. The Squiers are perfect.) One Mexican Strat with strings so misaligned that they were off the fret edge on the treble side. Even loosening the neck and cranking on it while someone retightened the neck left the strings visibly misaligned. Finally, one slightly older Mexican made strat that a student had me work on, where huge chunks of the paint surface just fell off in one flat piece when the neck was removed for fret leveling.
                        I buy American made Fenders. I buy Squiers. I do not buy Mexican made Fenders any more.
                        Last edited by Mr. B; 04-18-2020, 07:35 AM.

Comment

Love my root beer sparkle MIM strat. I did change out the cheese grater saddles tho

Comment

Originally posted by shupe13 View Post
                            It all boils down to do you want a Jim Root Tele?

EMGs, ebony fretboard, black hardware, satin finish and custom controls add cost to the instrument.

I looked it up, didn't realize the differences.

Ebony fretboard is my favorite -thats a good reason to pay a little $ more for a Mexican.

When I saw EMGs I thought that would be a terrible combo with the honking effect of of the Tele Ashtray Bridge, but after googling, I see he doesn't offer the real Tele Bridge -a smaller hybridized one that probably has WAY less of the Fender intended lap steel effect -although the bridge is still a stamped plate, screwed on -probably good move by them in combo with EMGs.

SO I guess if you bought the JR Tele, because ebony fret board, hybrid "teleish' bridge, and EMGs, you would be buying it for Jim Root's sound and not a Tele's like you said.
                            “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

I'd think you can build a Warmoth for that amount, and get a nicer, more custom guitar. Or, just buy the Jim Root used, as it is probably half that.
                              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                              X