banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the quality of Mexican Fenders like?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What's the quality of Mexican Fenders like?

Yeah, for 1200$ Warmoth is the way to go. Get exactly what you want, made the way you want it, with exactly the parts you want.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
      I'd think you can build a Warmoth for that amount, and get a nicer, more custom guitar. Or, just buy the Jim Root used, as it is probably half that.
      Fantastic point, since a MIM isn't going to have the big collectability factor -a Warmoth custom with all of the stuff the JR has -plus you could put a cool bridge, better tuners (Schaellers or Sperzel lockers), Graphtech nut or Bone, custom fretboard radius, neck profile, fret style, pickups, electronics, functionality stuff, ergonomics on the body, finished, binding etc etc....

You could make a custom monster for 1200 -1500
      “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

I have owned numerous MIM strats during the past 5 years or so. I had a 2004 that was beat to hell, a 2014 that was a fine guitar! With a little elbow grease and upgrades, they can be almost as good as their US counterparts. I always upgrade electronics on them and sometimes even the bridge-I had a Super Vee bridge on the 2014 and it was a great bridge. My only gripe with the older ones is the 21 frets....yea i know its more vintage spec but i need 22 for alot of things. I also fully upgraded a 2015 Floyd version, put a 2018 22 fret player series neck on it and upgraded the Floyd Special to a Floyd 1000. I set it up like Alex Lifeson used to have is and added a Seymour Duncan Silverbird in the bridge. One of my all time favorite guitars. Its amazing!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Lifeson Strat.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	5818707
        Charvel, Kramer, Gibson, Fender, MIJ/US Epiphone, BC Rich
        Full Shred, Distortion, JB, Custom (Custom), Screamin' Demon, Cool Rails, Alternative 8, Mini Humbucker, Lil 59, 59, APH-1, Black Winter, Silverbird, SP90, PATB1,2,3, YJM, 59/custom hybrid, SSL-1 AH1BJ, Jazz, Antiquity JB/Jazz, Alpha/Omega

Comment

Thanks for the input, dues.

Yeah, the JR Tele doesn't seem very bang-for-buck. It looks sick, though. But you guys are right, for that price, I might as well look into Warmoth.

Comment

I bought a MIM Tele in 2011.
            Once i tested it in the shop . . . my GAS for an American made Tele went out the window.
            Bang for buck, they are GREAT instruments.
            I changed the pick ups & saddles since - because i could.
            Even stock they are great value instruments.

Click image for larger version

Name:	QUAD AMP RIG w Tele.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	5818766
            Formerly known as; SirJackdeFuzz (7400+ posts)

Comment

Working...
            X