banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why my bridge single coil sounds harsh and lots of treble?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why my bridge single coil sounds harsh and lots of treble?

I tried to lower the pickups but I lose attack. I also lowered the Mids, presence and treble but I lose
    Brightness on the middle and neck pickup. I know that works but I don’t wanna be adjusting the settings every minute. Is this normal??

Re: Why my bridge single coil sounds harsh and lots of treble?

What pickup and amp are you using and what are your amp settings. Have you tried rolling your tone back a bit on your guitar
    1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
    Jackson Soloist 7 string
    ESP LTD M-400
    Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

Originally posted by Hsb View Post
      What pickup and amp are you using and what are your amp settings. Have you tried rolling your tone back a bit on your guitar
      I’m using the fender models on the Helix. All settings are at 12 o’clock but don’t like it. There’s no tone knob for the bridge pickup. It’s a strat

Comment

And what pickups are you using
        1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
        Jackson Soloist 7 string
        ESP LTD M-400
        Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

What guitar, what pickups, what controls ("knobs")?
          Originally posted by LesStrat
          Yogi Berra was correct.
          Originally posted by JOLLY
          I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Hsb View Post
            And what pickups are you using
            Texas specials and a twin bucker at the bridge. It’s a humbucker but it can split to a single coil.

Comment

first thing id suggest is to make the tone control active on the bridge pup. it sounds like you have a hss setup on your guitar? when you split a humbucker, especially a lower output one, it can sound thin and harsh.

Comment

If that's the case, then there are two easy things you can do: 1) Don't run the pickup split, and 2) install a Duncan '59/Custom Hybrid, wired to split to the slug coil (standard splitting).

Option 1 is the, "Doctor, doctor! It hurts when I raise my arm like this!" solution. If you don't like the pickup split, then don't split it. You probably just don't like the tone of a split humbucker. There's no problem with not using a feature on your guitar if it doesn't suit you.

Option 2 will give you a beefier split tone, because the '59/C Hybrid is made with very imbalanced coils. The slug coil has a significantly heavier wind than the screw coil. Therefore it sounds closer to a classic Fender style pickup when split. Split an equally wound lower output humbucker, and you get a weaker and thinner sound than a classic Fender style pickup. This would sound especially out of balance with Texas Specials in the other two positions, because they are hotter than classic Fender pickups.
                Originally posted by LesStrat
                Yogi Berra was correct.
                Originally posted by JOLLY
                I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Standard single coil bridge pickups are harsh and have lots of treble. That's just how they sound. You can control them with a tone knob, with EQ, or by changing the pickup (overwound single/single sized humbucker/etc).
                  Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                  This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                    first thing id suggest is to make the tone control active on the bridge pup. it sounds like you have a hss setup on your guitar? when you split a humbucker, especially a lower output one, it can sound thin and harsh.
                    Oh I didn’t know that about hss guitars.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                      Standard single coil bridge pickups are harsh and have lots of treble. That's just how they sound. You can control them with a tone knob, with EQ, or by changing the pickup (overwound single/single sized humbucker/etc).
                      So on songs and YouTube videos they all using any of those options?

Comment

[QUOTE=ItsaBass;4409162] thanks I’ll check that out

Comment

One of the really cool things about the G&L Legacys, S-500 and Comanche models is Leo's PTB tone control design. It's GLOBAL, so for the first time, you have usable tone control over all three pickups.

It was one of the things that really bugged me about my old 1960 Strat. After I sold the Strat, I found the Legacy and never looked back.

I doubt I will ever go back to standard Strat wiring.

Bill
                          When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

I always make a master tone and use the extra knob for something else
                            EHD
                            Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                            RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                            SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                            Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                            Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                            Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                            Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                            GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
                              I always make a master tone and use the extra knob for something else
                              Yep. That's really easy fix, so I've never considered it as a meaningful "feature" in a guitar...
                              "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
                              Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Working...
                              X