Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why my bridge single coil sounds harsh and lots of treble?

Default Re: Why my bridge single coil sounds harsh and lots of treble?

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy View Post
    if you have a soldering iron, its very simple to get the tone control on the bridge pup
    just add this jumper:
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Regular Fender Strat wiring has had a tone control on the bridge pickup for quite some time now. MIM models used vintage+5-way wiring up till the ‘00s, and I’m not sure if they still do; they might have started putting the bridge pickup on a tone control now (standard U.S. wiring). Even the reissue oriented American models have come that way since 2012.

I still say just don’t use the split alone. A split standard output humbucker is too thin and weak to tonally balance with two Texas Specials, and using the tone knob is only going to tamp it down even weaker. It mainly exists to be split when you are: 1) in position 2 on the switch (bridge/middle “notch” position), and/or 2) using heavy distortion and need lots of clarity from your pickup (weak output and minimal low end).
    Last edited by ItsaBass; 04-13-2020 at 11:27 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by LesStrat View Post
    Yogi Berra was correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by JOLLY View Post
    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Pump the brakes, chief. You've got, what, seven settings on that guitar and one of them too bright. Hardly cause for dumping it and starting over. I think every instrument I own has at least one setting I almost never touch.

Quote Originally Posted by Willy25 View Post
    Man, I wish new all this before buying this guitar :/ don’t feel like paying to get new things install.
    Maybe I’ll sell it. Ok so the G&L guitars can control the tone on the bridge? What about the Mx single coil strats?
    How is the wiring?
    ---------------------------
    The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...or-for-a-Strat

yeah I set my RG2 up with out of Phase position that I never use

its there if I want it
    I just never have
    EHD
    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Adding a tone control to the bridge is almost a necessity on any Strat for me. I like having one for the neck & middle, and one for the bridge. A small wiring change in your guitar will almost certainly solve this.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

Linking the bridge tone to another pickup is highly undesirable for me. There are no two pickups on a Strat that I ever want being at the same tone setting, so doubling up pickups on the same tone control necessitates constant tone knob fiddling with the way I play. I absolute hate G&L's PTB system for this reason. Makes everything a master control...and I never want a bass cut on a Strat anyhow.

Even if I did want or need a tone control on the bridge pickup, I would rather pull it from one of the others in order to get it...or wire the Strat for T/T/T, and give up the volume knob (which I almost never use on a Strat). I'd pull it off the middle pickup if I thought I needed it on the bridge. I rarely tamp down my middle pickup, so I could live without a tone knob there.

I set my Strats/amps up so that the middle pickup is the "home base" tone. Then the neck is one darker, and the bridge is one brighter, and you're good. There's no situation in which I would want the bridge pickup, but with the tone rolled back; I'd use the middle pickup if I wanted that. I only use the bridge pickup when I want a ton of brightness...e.g. when deliberately using extreme "twang," or driving the amp into breakup – to help retain clarity. Same reason (but less extreme) that you'd use the strangle switch on a Jaguar: to remove low end for a cleaner output from the guitar, which then retains more clarity when it heavily breaks up in the amp.

The other key is lowering your other pickups so everything is more balanced in terms of output.

FWIW, I wire my Strats without notch positions (3-way switch). I never use those tones (I don't like the frequency notching), and they just get in the way of me quickly returning the switch to the middle poisition while playing.

The Strat and the Jazzmaster are the two things that Fender got totally right within the first few months of production, IMO. For the things I play, vintage Strat and Jazzmaster wiring cannot be improved upon.
    Last edited by ItsaBass; 04-13-2020 at 07:51 PM.
    Yogi Berra was correct.

Me too. Without it, Bridge Only on a Strat ranks below even Neck Only on a Tele for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mincer View Post
    Adding a tone control to the bridge is almost a necessity on any Strat for me.
    ---------------------------
    The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...or-for-a-Strat

Quote Originally Posted by St_Genesius View Post
    Me too. Without it, Bridge Only on a Strat ranks below even Neck Only on a Tele for me.
    This I can agree with. I did grow up playing a 1982 Strat that had a master tone control. So I got really used to using one on all 3 pickups.

Tone Member

thank you guys I’ll check all the options.
    One more thing, months ago I was getting this noise tremolo effect on the middle and neck pickup when playing certain notes on the neck. Specially the g string. I was told to just push the pull pieces down. So I did and the noise went away like 80% but now that I wanna cover some Steve and Hendrix stuff and can get a good tone. I have to raise all the presence and treble up.

That noise is what happens when you put a single coil pickup too close to the strings. Usually people lower the whole pickup to fix this problem. It can be dangerous to push the magnet pole pieces up or down in a single coil because it can break the wire and leave you with a dead pickup.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Ultimate Tone Slacker DavidRavenMoon's Avatar

The closer to the bridge a pickup is, the brighter it sounds. Also on a Strat there’s no tone control for the bridge pickup.

If you adjust your amp for a bright neck pickup sound the bridge will sound like an ice pick.

This is one reason people started putting humbuckers at the bridge on Strats. They are fuller sounding.

You can get single coils that are wound hotter to sound darker, or single coil size humbuckers. Either would fix the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by DavidRavenMoon View Post
    Also on a Strat there’s no tone control for the bridge pickup.
    This is traditional, but usually not the case these days. American made non-reissues have had bridge tone controls for a long time now, and even reissue models have had modern (i.e. tone on bridge) Strat wiring since 2012. MIM Standards to a point had vintage (no tone on bridge) wiring (with the exception of a 5-way instead of a 3-way).
    Yogi Berra was correct.

Tone Member

Quote Originally Posted by DavidRavenMoon View Post
    You can get single coils that are wound hotter to sound darker, or single coil size humbuckers. Either would fix the problem.
    I agree 100%, my recommendations are to wire a tone pot to go to the bridge or master tone, and to put a humbucker/high output single coil in the bridge.

Higher output tends to send a stronger signal, particularly in the midrange, which is often what you really want for a bridge pickup in particular. Another thing I've found that works well for specifically Strats is to combine either tone mod and higher output bridge with slightly angling the bridge pickup down towards the treble end, which softens the attack. Note this will also affect your quack sound in position 2.

Tone Member

Helix, that is Line6, I believe?
    I had a POD Pro once, and there are settings for input impedance for guitar.
    You could try and play with that a bit, maybe if there on Helix which I believe exist.
    Maybe there are other settings too, like hb or sc mode or similar.

With POD Pro I had issues with overs peak led lit for even medium output humbuckers - so ditched it.
    If you make a guitar processor and it does not fix normal hb input, then something is wrong.

BerriesAndCreamologist Fender_Punk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Willy25 View Post
    IThere’s no tone knob for the bridge pickup. It’s a strat
    You can change that. I'd suggest rewiring the tone knob for the middle pickup to the bridge position.
    Joy "Vintage" 1100N Dreadnought
    Faith '04 MIM Fender Telecaster. GFS Neovin(b), SH1n, 4 way switch.
    Cherry '04 Epiphone Les Paul Std. SH1b, SH2n
    Sapphire Indie Tribal Extreme. Completely stock. Grover tuner, DV8 pickups. Series/parallel switch
    Booty 5-String Sterling by EBMM 5-string bass, passive EB pup, active 2 band EQ
    AMPS!
    Traynor YCV 40W (6L6) 1x12 Eminence Legend 1218
    Mark Bass Little Mark II 500W head
    Mark bass 1x12

Quote Originally Posted by Fender_Punk View Post
    You can change that. I'd suggest rewiring the tone knob for the middle pickup to the bridge position.
    Me too.

I would not want my Strat wired so one tone control is connected to both the neck and middle.

I never use the middle pickup by itself. Only in combination with either the bridge pickup or neck pickup and if they each have a tone control it'll affect the middle pickup too when they're combined.

But for me, my bridge pickup has to have a tone control so I can dial that treble down when I'm soloing for that Eric Clapton woman tone and Eric Johnson's violin tone. And my own tone.
    “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

I wouldn't mess with it. Connecting the tone pot to the bridge will likely dull the sound in humbucker mode.

Quote Originally Posted by ehdwuld View Post
    yeah I set my RG2 up with out of Phase position that I never use

its there if I want it
    I just never have
    When I rewired my LP I installed coil split push/pulls for tone knobs....I NEVER use them.

I like a single on the neck from time to time
    and splitting a Jazz gives me that sound

but all the rest of the options I get from my Triple Shot rings, that I put on everything, I dont use
    EHD
    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

I use split humbuckers all the time, but they are what they are- thinner, noisier versions of the humbucker. Still a useful sound, but certainly not as big sounding as the full version. A tone knob helps.