Short Scale Bass Conversion to Baritone Guitar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Short Scale Bass Conversion to Baritone Guitar

Hello! I’ve got a quick question for the forum!

I have a 30’ short scale Talman Bass that I’m pretty fond of, a cheap and cool looking bass! Anyway, I’m pretty fond of Frankenstein-ing guitars and basses.

That being said, relatively how difficult would it be to convert my 30’ short scale bass to a baritone guitar? If I got a baritone neck with a scale length of 30’ and corresponding bridge, would that be as seamless of a transition as it appears?

If not, any suggestions?

Cheers lads, all answers are welcome and appreciated 🤠

Re: Short Scale Bass Conversion to Baritone Guitar

You have to change the peghead over - dowel the old tuner holes, and redrill. Need a new nut, of course. The bridge you'll simply purchase. Pickups should be the easy part. It's been done. I did one for a client back in the 80's. Turned a Mustang bass into a 6 string baritone. The guy was a country player and wanted that "tic tac" Nashville sound they used to get with Danelectros and such.
    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Awesome! Glad to know that it can be done! That being said, thanks a bunch for the advice !

Comment

I do have another question! If I’m not too fond of the bass neck I have currently, could I transplant in a 30’ baritone guitar neck and discard the bass one? That way I wouldn’t have to mess around drilling new holes for the tuners?

Comment

does the neck fit the pocket?

Comment

With a new nut, and the tuner issue fixed..oh yeah, a new bridge if you want 6 strings, I think it could be done. If you do it, post in-process pics, too...those are cool.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

You will have to have something custom hand made to drop right onto an Ibanez Talman. Unless, of course, you fill the existing neck pocket and rerout to match whatever neck you buy.

You are better off plugging and re-drilling your existing neck, putting a six string nut in, and replacing the bridge.

Also, be aware that the scale is a little bit longer than your typical baritone guitar. This will affect the strings you use, as well as reducing the ease of chording. The bass you have is better suited to a Bass VI style conversion than to a baritone guitar conversion.
              Last edited by ItsaBass; 04-15-2020, 02:31 PM.
              Originally posted by LesStrat
              Yogi Berra was correct.
              Originally posted by JOLLY
              I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

I was just Looking at the SRC6 last night for exactly the same reason

I soo want one too

EHD
                Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Working...
                X