Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is there a problem with this diagram?

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
    Hey Dave: Do you know if they're going to bring back the downloadable PDF version of these diagrams? Those were a handy resource.
    I did make them aware of this thread, but that is a great idea. I have no idea why they are jpgs.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Re: Is there a problem with this diagram?

They should already have them in their archive. Unless someone hit the "delete" button by mistake.

Comment

In my post #28, I reference the diagram for "Jazz Bass with STC-2P or STC-3P." But the STC-2P uses a different circuit board, (with different connectors), controls, and subsequently, slightly different wiring. It would be nice if the STC-2P had it's own dedicated diagram.

This is kind of important to me because I'm trying to use that diagram to decide if the 2P or 3P best suits my bass needs.

Update: I found the diagram in my archives, but can't find it on the webpage. If the Duncan folks would like to "right-click" and save this, feel free. (It IS your diagram, after all.

Click image for larger version

Name:	STC-2P.jpg
Views:	978
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	6028399
        Last edited by ArtieToo; 11-11-2020, 09:14 AM.

Comment

There's a problem with every diagram and I have no idea who decided to make these changes.

1. The little sections that described each position on the switch are gone (1. bridge, 2, middle, 3. neck, etc.). Not everybody knows the outcome of the different wiring options by looking at the diagram. Put back the descriptions.

2. Who in their right mind uses a script font in a paragraph like that? Can anyone read it? Use a font that is readable!

Suggestion: Don't go making the diagrams fancy for fancy's sake. They need to legible and understandable.

And yes, PDF vs. JPG would be preferred.
          Last edited by ErikH; 09-02-2021, 02:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
            2. Who in their right mind uses a script font in a paragraph like that? Can anyone read it? Use a font that is readable!
            Ditto. I can't read them. In the old days, you could "click" the diagram, and it would open in a larger PDF. Very readable. I hope they didn't delete all those PDF's.

(Bring them back.)

Comment

PDFs will print better and are better to enlarge. And yes, script fonts should never be used.

Comment

Hello,

This diagram for 2 Humbuckers, 2 Volume & 3-way toggle.

I assumed this wiring, with the switch in the middle position, would allow me to have a blend of each pickups volume, similar to a Les Paul.
                Instead, in the middle position, each volume acts as a master for both pickups.

Is the diagram incorrect, or am I with my assumption?

Thanks for your time
                Regards,
                Jacob
                Click image for larger version

Name:	2H_3G_2V.jpg
Views:	949
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	6036033

Comment

Both.
                  The middle position does indeed allow for a blend....in fact this is exactly the same wiring diagram as found in a Les Paul (save for the fact they have tone controls too). And just like a Les Paul if you drop the volume of 1 pickup all the way down you shut off the whole sound in the middle position.

Comment

Thanks very much for your reply, AlexR.
                    That's cleared that up!

Comment

Originally posted by JacobSinger View Post
                      I assumed this wiring, with the switch in the middle position, would allow me to have a blend of each pickups volume, similar to a Les Paul.
                      Instead, in the middle position, each volume acts as a master for both pickups.
                      No blend. Master volume is correct. Read on in my next post.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR View Post
                        Both.
                        The middle position does indeed allow for a blend....in fact this is exactly the same wiring diagram as found in a Les Paul (save for the fact they have tone controls too). And just like a Les Paul if you drop the volume of 1 pickup all the way down you shut off the whole sound in the middle position.
                        Hey Alex. That's not quite correct. If the 3-way is in the middle, either volume will kill both pups. The output jack will be shorted to ground through the pot. To get the "blend" affect, (aka 50's wiring), you need to reverse the connection from the left-most terminal to the center. In other words, pickup black wire to the center wiper, and the left-most terminal out to the 3-way switch.

Comment

50's wiring is not a blend. You're talking independent wiring.
                          And you can blend the pickups, just only to a certain degree as I mentioned in my post.

Comment

We may be talking semantics. To me, "independent" is necessary for "blend." When I think of blending, I think of having one volume up, and one down. Then you can slowly bring one up to just the desired amount. You need independent to that.

But I can also see your point that if both are "up", you can bring one down just a bit, before it starts to kill the other pup. So, I guess there is some crossover here.

Edit: I just reread your post. You definitely stated that turning either down will kill both. My bad.

Comment

There appears to be a number of drawings on the site like these two:

When I look at them, I would expect them to never produce sound.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                                There appears to be a number of drawings on the site like these two:

When I look at them, I would expect them to never produce sound.
                                Can you explain what is wrong for others visiting this thread?

Comment

Working...
                                X