Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is there a problem with this diagram?

Hand-crafted electric guitar pickups, acoustic guitar pickups, bass pickups and pedals. Helping musicians find their signature sound since 1976.

The tone control's capacitor is not connected to anything. One leg of the cap should go to the middle lug of the pot, and the other leg of the cap should go to ground.

Click image for larger version

Name:	3STKplus_5W_1Vpp3SPL_1T.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	5818811
    Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Hand-crafted electric guitar pickups, acoustic guitar pickups, bass pickups and pedals. Helping musicians find their signature sound since 1976.

This phase switch works differently than the more common type of phase switch most guitarists are familiar with and featured in other Seymour Duncan diagrams, which reverses phase on the whole pickup, and whose effects are only heard when that pickup is combined with another pickup. Instead, this phase switch puts the two coils of the bridge pickup out of phase with each other, and whose effects are more intense and also present with or without that pickup being combined with another pickup. So it might be a good idea in this case to provide a more robust description of this switch in the title of the diagram beyond just "phase" to flag for the potential user that this switch works differently than what they might be expecting otherwise.

The actual error in this diagram is that the switch is wired backwards, i.e. the bridge pickup coils will be out of phase with each other in the down position of the phase switch instead of the up position. To fix this, the red wire on the left side of the phase switch should be moved from the bottom left lug to the top left lug, and the wire on the right side of the phase switch that leads to the 3 way pickup selector switch, should be moved from the bottom right lug to the top right lug.

Name:	Tele_2TSTK_3B_1VppPH_1T.jpg
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	5818829
      Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 04-18-2020, 02:08 AM.
      Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_TriPpEr View Post
        Thanks GuitarDoc! It's great to hear that other forum members also see the potential benefits of this effort for both forum members and visitors to the SD website.

Since you are an esteemed wiring expert, and Artie seems to have been out-of-pocket lately (hope he is ok), would you mind reviewing the two diagrams in Reply #11 and Reply #12 of this thread that I was asking him to take a look at?

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...=1#post4409894
        I don't see a problem with the diagrams in that link.
        Originally Posted by IanBallard
        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
          EDIT #2: In addition to GuitarDoc's feedback, I also just got confirmation from someone who wired their guitar with this diagram that they have no noise issue like I was concerned about in the Rails Only switch position.

Looks like the unterminated Finish wire (white) of the P90 in this position does not in fact emit noise like I suspected it would because apparently no signal flows through the P90 coil at all even though its Start wire (black) is connected to Hot. Apparently the P90 coil is bypassed by Hot signal entirely because there is a route to Ground available through the Rail coil.

So these two diagrams have been verified as NOT having any issues. (ref. Reply #11 and Reply #12 of this thread: https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...=1#post4409894)

Thanks for reviewing it GuitarDoc!

Name:	PicsArt_04-18-02.05.52.jpg
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	5818831
          Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 04-19-2020, 07:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
            This is the thread to hash that out. I don't know how many people come to me frustrated with some of the diagrams. There might not be many that are not viable, but the ones that are are still frustrating.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Not a problem so much as an omission. I went recently to look up the diagram for Blackouts in my one volume one tone PRS SE, and I couldn't find one for it. When I select 2 Blackouts, one in the neck, and one in the bridge, the only option is for a single volume knob only.

Comment

Originally posted by misterwhizzy View Post
                Not a problem so much as an omission. I went recently to look up the diagram for Blackouts in my one volume one tone PRS SE, and I couldn't find one for it. When I select 2 Blackouts, one in the neck, and one in the bridge, the only option is for a single volume knob only.
                You're probably all-set in this regard, but I am posting this here for anyone else who runs into this in the future. It's how to add a Master Tone control to a Master Volume control.

Name:	PicsArt_04-25-01.45.48.jpg
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	5818916

Comment

Name:	2h_1v_1t_3w.jpg
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	5819078

-Seymour duncan 7 string sentient and pegasus pickups
                  -3 way toggle
                  -CTS 500k volume
                  -CTS 500k tone mini pot (fitment issues)
                  -Schecter 7 string guitar
                  wired exactly like this diagram.

PROBLEM: Both pots are working as volume and both have to be turned up for either pickup to work. Neither works as a tone pot. I don't understand what I am doing wrong. Please help.

Comment

Originally posted by JorgeB View Post
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]104805[/ATTACH]

-Seymour duncan 7 string sentient and pegasus pickups
                    -3 way toggle
                    -CTS 500k volume
                    -CTS 500k tone mini pot (fitment issues)
                    -Schecter 7 string guitar
                    wired exactly like this diagram.

PROBLEM: Both pots are working as volume and both have to be turned up for either pickup to work. Neither works as a tone pot. I don't understand what I am doing wrong. Please help.
                    Welcome to the forum!
                    Can you make your own thread and post pics of your wiring? This thread is for definite issues with a diagram that needs to be corrected. This diagram looks good, so we need to see your wiring...just make your own thread.

Comment

I will. Thank you very much for the guidance.

Comment

The first attachment is a wiring diagram with an error. The second attachment is a version i created that correxts for that errorm

The URL that hosts the current version of the drawing is here:
                        The world's largest selection of free guitar wiring diagrams. Humbucker, Strat, Tele, Bass and more!

The push-pull for the Master Series / Parallel switch is missing wire connections in the "up"position of the switch. There a couple ways to wire a Master Series Parallel switch, and the one I have implemented here, provides the benefit of not having to have the 3 way pickup selector switch set to a particular position in order to avoid a cutout in all output when the Master Series Parallel switch is set to "In Series" (which is the Up position of the switch). An alternate approach of adding a jumper wire to the original diagram, (from the top left side of the MSP switch to the top right side of the switch) would work but has the downside that there will be no output from the guitar when the 3 way pickup selector switch is in Position 3.

UPDATE: It was later spotted that additionally the original drawing is also missing a ground wire connection between the tone pot and volume pot. Without that ground wire connection, noise will be present/audible in the output signal. The drawing with corrections for the other errors, also needs to have that missing ground wire added to it.

Version that has the error:

Name:	2H_2TS_3G_1VppPH_1TppSP.jpg
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	5820732

Version with a correction:

Name:	e81Tzo9.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	5820733
                        Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 06-18-2020, 08:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JorgeB View Post
                          Just a quickie, since you brought this up: check to see if you acciedently used an 0.x cap instead of a 0.0x cap.

Looks like Jack is on top of this, but I'll double-check the couple that I've been asked about.

Comment

The diagram "Jazz Bass with STC-2P or STC-3P" is missing two jumpers on the concentric bass/treble control. (Red jumpers in blue circle.)

Name:	STC-3P_diagram.jpg
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	5820963

Comment

This is a post to thank everyone for contributing.

Comment

Hey Dave: Do you know if they're going to bring back the downloadable PDF version of these diagrams? Those were a handy resource.

Comment

Working...
                                X