banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Transparent pedal, low noise, for just doing a bit of gain in effect loop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transparent pedal, low noise, for just doing a bit of gain in effect loop?

I'm using just a a pedal for gain to adjust for more boost in fx loop, as complement to Boost feature on Marshall Origin 20w.
    I like increasing signal to power amp rather than preamp in what it does.

I just have pedal left over that I use now.
    Tried different, some introduce too much noise, some restrict frequency content.

So is there a pedal with minimal other features to keep it simple and have good circuits inside?
    And well shielded, so have to be metal cover I guess - get some extra hum when fx loop is engaged.

Thanks.

Re: Transparent pedal, low noise, for just doing a bit of gain in effect loop?

TC Electronic Spark Mini Booster is about as simple and clean as it gets - a great MORE pedal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Will check that out, thanks.

Comment

clean transparent boost

EQ pedal with a level control
        EHD
        Just here surfing Guitar Pron
        RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
        SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
        Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
        Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
        Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
        Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
        GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

ehdwuld beat me to it, best clean boost in a loop is an EQ, you can leave the EQ flat and just boost the output, but you also have a lot of tone shaping potential.

Comment

Ok, thanks for EQ pedal tip.
            It's not too much electronics to be transparent, or?

Comment

Nothing wrong with a Boss GE7 for that application, except that some people report it as being noisy.

I never had that issue with mine, but I used it gently. 3-5 db gain boost in total, tops.
              Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
              Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
              Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
              Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

The Pickup Booster is my go to clean boost. It can also make single coils sound more like humbuckers, too if that's your thing.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

TC Spark was my first call, or the Mini Keeley Boost. Xotic RC Booster
                  Originally posted by Bad City
                  He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
                    ehdwuld beat me to it, best clean boost in a loop is an EQ, you can leave the EQ flat and just boost the output, but you also have a lot of tone shaping potential.
                    totally agree. if you just need a little bit of gain -go with an EQ pedal for sure -you will get powerful tone control with the EQ.

Also -here's a tip -buy a used Boss GE7 for $50 and send it to Analogman to do the Pro Mod for $55 or just buy one from them direct for $155 -or buy the parts and do it yourself.

either way -you'll end up with a badass super quiet EQ pedal for cheap.
                    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

The GE7 is great if you have an instrument level loop, if it is line level, Boss pedals don't behave well even in bypass mode. I think those DSLs are instrument level, so it should work fine, but the manual doesn't even say. Some Marshalls in the past (JCM900s I think) had a level switch for the loop, doesn't look like these do. Probably worth doing a little googlin'.

FWIW, I learned about this a long, long time ago when I was using a borrowed Valvestate at a practice place, couldn't figure out why it sounded like crap with my Boss delay in the loop, turns out is clipping the buffers even when the pedal was in bypass.

Comment

Same on the valvestate I had years ago. It was the first gen 100w head.

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
                          FWIW, I learned about this a long, long time ago when I was using a borrowed Valvestate at a practice place, couldn't figure out why it sounded like crap with my Boss delay in the loop, turns out is clipping the buffers even when the pedal was in bypass.
                          Never noticed! Then again, never play clean...
                          Originally posted by Bad City
                          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

This one might be worth a look.
                            I have not read a bad comment about it - yet !

Click image for larger version

Name:	dod looking glass pedal 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	5818847
                            Formerly known as; SirJackdeFuzz (7400+ posts)

Comment

You guys need to read the OP, he's looking for volume boost for the loop, "gain" was probably the wrong word to use. Overdrives don't really work well for that.

Comment

Working...
                              X