banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Transparent pedal, low noise, for just doing a bit of gain in effect loop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Transparent pedal, low noise, for just doing a bit of gain in effect loop?

Originally posted by devastone View Post
    The GE7 is great if you have an instrument level loop, if it is line level, Boss pedals don't behave well even in bypass mode. I think those DSLs are instrument level, so it should work fine, but the manual doesn't even say. Some Marshalls in the past (JCM900s I think) had a level switch for the loop, doesn't look like these do. Probably worth doing a little googlin'.

FWIW, I learned about this a long, long time ago when I was using a borrowed Valvestate at a practice place, couldn't figure out why it sounded like crap with my Boss delay in the loop, turns out is clipping the buffers even when the pedal was in bypass.
    My Tweaker has a line level FX loop and the GE7 behaved just fine through it.
    However I also had a DD7 and it sounded like absolute **** through the loop, bright and distorted.
    My Memory Toy sounds super dark through it.

Just saying.
    Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
    Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
    Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
    Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

A clean boost with no other knobs is the key here.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

OK - let's get crazy: Here is my Uber-clean Boost of choice....

Originally posted by Bad City
        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Larioso View Post
          Ok, thanks for EQ pedal tip.
          It's not too much electronics to be transparent, or?
          That really depends on the pedal and the amp as well. I have an MXR 10-band. In one amp its a good boost, but causes buzz (not just increased noise from raising levels). In another amp it doesn't buzz, but causes bad tone suck, though that's mostly due to how ****ty the FX loop is.

Originally posted by SirJackdeFuzz II View Post
          This one might be worth a look.
          I have not read a bad comment about it - yet !

[ATTACH=CONFIG]104357[/ATTACH]
          Well, here's one for ya then! Don't put this pedal in the loop. I have - it's awful. Why? Because it's not a boost, it's an OD. It will start to constrict your tone. Worse yet, that pedal is by far the noisiest one I've ever owned. I'm not the only one, you can google around for "DOD Looking Glass noisey" if you're curious.

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
          TC Spark was my first call, or the Mini Keeley Boost. Xotic RC Booster
          Very much this. I've run both the TC (big version) and the Xotic (v1) in the loop specifically to do volume boosting with just a touch of extra gain thrown in for good measure. The TC is actually the better sounding one to my ears, and dirt cheap new as well, albeit tricky to repair if it breaks.
          Last edited by Coma; 04-21-2020, 02:02 AM.
          --------------------------------------------------------
          1973 Aria 551
          1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
          1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
          1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
          1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
          1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
          2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Comment

I prefer the EP boost by Exotic because of how it opens up the tone.
            Here is a demo of the EP with the Spark showing the differences.
            Guitars
            Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
            Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Originally posted by Ascension View Post
              I prefer the EP boost by Exotic because of how it opens up the tone.
              Here is a demo of the EP with the Spark showing the differences.
              I think this is a great recommendation from Ascension. I use the EP booster often -and believe in pretty much anything Xotic makes -it's high quality -I use it mostly as an "Aways On" pedal to smack the front of my vintage preamp and sometimes in the loop of my Larger stack amps and the TCE Spark is a really good sounding pedal too -and like the video says -an incredible value for the sound -it's a lot of good for that great price.

I don't think this is a concern for the OP but I tend to shy away from TC Electronic pedal products because I've had many break or die traveling for tours after logistics and stage abuse -they are not as rugged as I personally prefer -which honestly is fine as they are built to an amazing price point by the most dedicated children available in a labor camp in Shenzen China... -Child Labor jokes anyone? In the 90s TC Electronic was the highest end pro gear you could get -and that lineage is still there , and is still great quality sound producing stuff, but when they entered the consumer market for guitar pedals -they really had to trim out some of the engineering to make it affordable for new players -understandibly...

If I was a teenager or new player and buying new -I'd buy the Spark and save 70 bucks for sure -If I were in my 20s and traveling for gigs and recording records and trying to be pro I'd buy the EP Booster -I think overall it sounds better and is more versatile (the video's bright in your face gain of the Spark may distract you from the real subtle tone magic happening in EP). Kinda of wish the Video also did an AMP unity volume compensated A/B/C comparison of the amp and pedals too -to focus on the tone difference without the gain distraction and then showed the boost A/B/C too.

Also, an EP Booster USED can be had for 60-80 bucks -only 10-20 more than the new Spark. so that always an option -and if the knob works and the pedal sounds good -there should be no concern about purchasing a used booster.

You can't really go wrong with either of these. -and both pedals can always be sold EASILY for the used price you buy them at. -so you can lose with a use one.
              Last edited by NegativeEase; 04-21-2020, 10:40 AM.
              “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
                I don't think this is a concern for the OP but I tend to shy away from TC Electronic pedal products because I've had many break or die traveling for tours after logistics and stage abuse -they are not as rugged as I personally prefer -which honestly is fine as they are built to an amazing price point by the most dedicated children available in a labor camp in Shenzen China... -Child Labor jokes anyone? In the 90s TC Electronic was the highest end pro gear you could get -and that lineage is still there , and is still great quality sound producing stuff, but when they entered the consumer market for guitar pedals -they really had to trim out some of the engineering to make it affordable for new players -understandibly...
                Thailand technically, but yeah. Which is a shame, because IMHO their pedals sound really, really good. If they offered an upscale line of their stuff, like TC Waza with replacable footswitches and wear-n-tear parts not directly mounted to the PCB I'd buy them in a heartbeat.
                --------------------------------------------------------
                1973 Aria 551
                1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
                1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
                1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
                1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
                1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
                2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Comment

Originally posted by VinceT View Post
                  TC Electronic Spark Mini Booster is about as simple and clean as it gets - a great MORE pedal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                  Seconding this; the TC Spark is a great transparent boost, has about 20dB on tap (pretty standard for boosts), and they sell for $40 all day on 'Verb (asking prices are currently closer to $60, just make an offer). As a true effect I like the momentary function (press and hold when activating it and it'll immediately turn off when you release, so less stomping around during solos), but if you're looking to juice your power amp it'll more likely be an always-on effect anyway, and it has no problems there.

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
                    I think this is a great recommendation from Ascension. I use the EP booster often -and believe in pretty much anything Xotic makes -it's high quality -I use it mostly as an "Aways On" pedal to smack the front of my vintage preamp and sometimes in the loop of my Larger stack amps and the TCE Spark is a really good sounding pedal too -and like the video says -an incredible value for the sound -it's a lot of good for that great price.
                    I have the EP Booster as well, I actually have it on my bass board where it warms up my active basses' tone and gives a little push to a Bass Soul Food. If you're looking for truly transparent the EP Boost is not it - it's designed specifically to emulate the preamp stage of vintage Echoplex tape delays, hence "EP" boost - however the coloration is relatively subtle compared to other types of boosts, and a lot of people find it quite magical in front of a wide variety of amps. Haven't seen it used in the FX loop, but it'll add 20dB there just the same as in front of the preamp.

Comment

Spark Mini is a strong candidate for this job - just do some boost in fx loop. And here I get 3 of those for the price of 1 EP Booster.
                      Mean Green Clean is not available here locally, but probably good.
                      Looked at Nose and there are some Nosepedal stuff called Volume, but seems like regular pot only.

EP Booster is probably good booster, to shape tone, but not so fond of settings inside.
                      I have some EBS pedals that do that.
                      Think that Stone Deaf PDF-2 as parametric EQ allow to shape exactly how you want to boost, amount and how wide, and same price as EP Booster.
                      I got suggestions in my thread for parametric EQ, will probably get a PDF-2 as well next order.

Comment

Originally posted by Coma View Post
                        Thailand technically, but yeah. Which is a shame, because IMHO their pedals sound really, really good. If they offered an upscale line of their stuff, like TC Waza with replacable footswitches and wear-n-tear parts not directly mounted to the PCB I'd buy them in a heartbeat.
                        haha. I know they came from China at some point, as I have a made in china one -Guess they had to find more children

That's something they should definitely do -a higher end version. -they have the engineering and the chops to make a beefier, cleaner series of course.

I've broke maybe 4-5 of there regular ones -jacks, PCB, knobs etc etc -and from the kind of punishment that the pedals adjacent did not suffer from. but that is the choice they make to get them to the awesome price points I guess.
                        “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

I was thinking about this thread yesterday, when using a Klone I built, a BYOC Silver Pony. It has very little gain (which sounds good), much less than a TS, but boosts clean tube amps just right. I still recommend the Pickup Booster, but if you want *some* gain, a Klone is always a good bet.
                          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                          X