banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Parametric EQ - maybe the most interesting and underestimated pedal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parametric EQ - maybe the most interesting and underestimated pedal?

Hi
    Long ago I got a Damage Control Womanizer that had this.
    A parametric eq before tube and then post eq - so you determine which frequencies saturate tube first.

The basic idea is that you turn up gain quite a bit, then dial with frequency control for sweet spot how it saturate.

You can get anything from real boxy wah tone, to many other nice tones.

So got a (a couple actually) Artec that also have Q-value control to set how wide around frequency crossover, so you can dial real narrow if you want.

So using this before amp - eq controls on amp become like post eq as you please.

Did anybody fiddle with this?
    - if not try it.

Artec I have is good, and real cheap, like $20, but is more noisy than i has to. So have three with different settings, and also has true bypass.

So are there ones with better circuits, that has to full control it offers - level, width, gain and frequency?
    True bypass is a must.

Thanks.

Re: Parametric EQ - maybe the most interesting and underestimated pedal?

The Seafoam Trident does something similar. It has a pre-distortion 3-band eq with independent drive, volume, and frequency controls.

The DOD Boneshaker also has a three band eq with frequency and boost/cut knobs.

I think it's a great idea in a distortion box, but it also goes against my rule of having distortion pedals be as simple and straightforward as possible.
    You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
    Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Thanks for your suggestions.
      I looked at Elektron Analog Drive for many reasons, which has a mids parametric eq but no width control how narrow that works.
      It also has 100 presets, but that tiny thing missing.

With width there is some extra tweak for sweet spot in how narrow the boost is.

Comment

the duncan paladium has a parametric mids control which is a great feature, allowing a ton of different tones

Comment

https://www.stonedeaffx.com/product-page/pdf-2 Stone Deaf PDF-2 is great for this. The footswitch to go between clean boost and overdrive is really useful. Probably my most useful pedal.
          green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

never tried any stone deaf stuff but that looks right up my alley

Comment

PDF-2 seems wild - some good demos on this spot

Comment

It really is awesome. I don't really own any other overdrive pedals anymore. I have a few choice fuzzes I use for big riffs but mostly I set the amp for crunchy and boost it with the PDF.
                green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Originally posted by Larioso View Post
                  A parametric eq before tube and then post eq - so you determine which frequencies saturate tube first.

The basic idea is that you turn up gain quite a bit, then dial with frequency control for sweet spot how it saturate.
                  You hit the nail on the hat.

I also want to point out that having a cocked whawha in front of the preamp does a similar thing. You pick what frequency to push before the clipping stages.

Comment

Working...
                  X