Digitech Bad Monkey Overdrive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Digitech Bad Monkey Overdrive

As far as a TS clone, how good is the BM? I like the bass control and the idea of a cab simulator, as I often times am forced to go direct to board.

One other question, would I be able to put a noise gate after the mixer output, or would that cause any issues?

Re: Digitech Bad Monkey Overdrive

Originally posted by Driver Blues View Post
    As far as a TS clone, how good is the BM? I like the bass control and the idea of a cab simulator, as I often times am forced to go direct to board.

One other question, would I be able to put a noise gate after the mixer output, or would that cause any issues?
    I had a bad monkey a few years back. It’s the only pedal I miss lol if you have the chance grab it . It is worth it . Even phill x uses one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Lot of monkey love in these parts. It's a great TS9 option with more bass and gain. Bass knob is all kinds of win if that's your thing.

I'm a TS9 guy - but check out the TS9 threads for lots of Monkey love.
      Originally posted by Bad City
      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I would actually say it's closer to a 808 than a 9. It's a great pedal, but it definitely favors the lower gain end of things. Some TS clones try to be closer to a distortion than an overdrive, but I tend to use the BM more as a colored dirty boost than an overdrive, if that makes sense.

I don't have any experience with the cab sim, but I can't imagine it having any bad interactions with a noise gate.
        You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
        Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

I love my Monkey. I use the mixer out into the amp. It sounds good to me.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Good to hear, I've got one on order now.

How well do you guys think this signal chain would work:

DS-1 > 6-band EQ > Bad Monkey (mixer out) > Noise Gate

Comment

Value for money . . . you can not go wrong.
              Formerly known as; SirJackdeFuzz (7400+ posts)

Comment

I had a Bad Monkey for several years and really liked the tones with it engaged. The only reason I got rid of it was the bypass. It added a glassy sterile kind of sound when bypassed. I'm not a true bypass freak and I'm not fussy about buffered bypass. I have loads of BOSS pedals and love them, but the bypass on the Bad Monkey was something I couldn't live with on my board.

Comment

Well, the 805 does the Bad Monkey thing a lot better. Better bypass, better EQ, more gain range. But, you pay for that, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon_F View Post
                    I had a Bad Monkey for several years and really liked the tones with it engaged. The only reason I got rid of it was the bypass. It added a glassy sterile kind of sound when bypassed. I'm not a true bypass freak and I'm not fussy about buffered bypass. I have loads of BOSS pedals and love them, but the bypass on the Bad Monkey was something I couldn't live with on my board.
                    Yes! I had the same issue with the DOD graphic eq: sounds great but does the glassy thing when bypassed. Pain in the *as to convert to true bypass too, because of the odd enclosure.
                    Thank you for mentioning this so I don't think I am crazy anymore. At least not about this...

Comment

That glassy sound goes away if you use the Mixer output of the Bad Monkey.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                        That glassy sound goes away if you use the Mixer output of the Bad Monkey.
                        When it is in bypass? Very interesting...

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Locher View Post
                          When it is in bypass? Very interesting...
                          Yeah, it seems to put a low pass filter in there.

Comment

The cab sim stays on in bypass mode on the mixer out. Their DF7 had more modes to cycle through that allowed stereo amp out or stereo cab out along with different cab choices, that pedsl thugh wasn't analog based.

Comment

Originally posted by Driver Blues View Post
                              As far as a TS clone, how good is the BM?
                              I think I actually like mine better than my TS. I think you'll be happy.

Comment

Working...
                              X