NPD EHX Sovtek Deluxe Big Muff Pi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NPD EHX Sovtek Deluxe Big Muff Pi

I've been in the market for a big muff for a bit, but was having a hard time deciding on which one. I watched a bunch of comparison videos on youtube having only used the NYC Big Muff when I had one years ago. I liked the Green Russian and the Ram's Head (or Triangle? I mix those two up). I saw that there was a Deluxe based on the NYC Big Muff then came across the Sovtek which is based on the Green Russian circuit. I was sold.

Click image for larger version

Name:	sovtekdeluxe.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	5853783

The mids section is what sets this apart. With the low Q setting it selects a bigger section of midrange to boost or cut, which sounds better to me than high Q which has a narrower frequency to boost. You can play rhythm with the regular scooped mids then hit the boost to stand out for solo spots. Low Q with both mids knobs around 1-2 gives a real raunchy sound that’s not like any big muff. I've been playing with and without the mids and I can't tell if I'm getting ear fatigue after an hour of jamming around or not. The regular scooped sounds still sound good. It's that classic muff sound, but with the mids on it's like WOW.

I expected more of an extreme boost in high end from the wicker switch. It’s noticeable, just not what I expected. It also seems to raise the noise floor of the pedal a bit.

The gate knob can give you some real staccato sounds on higher settings. Keeping it around 8 or 9 o’clock seems like the sweet spot for keeping my single coils quiet while still letting notes ring out naturally. Speaking of that, I think it sounds better with my jazzmaster's single coils than it does with my SG with it's humbuckers. It could just be the settings I'm using. Still have some tonal exploring to do.

Blend knob mixes in clean signal, which is pretty nice if you’re using this with your bass.

I love it. My only complaint being that I wish the input/output jacks were top mounted instead of on the side so it took less room on my pedalboard. It's not a deal breaker, just preference.
    "An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. " - Bukowski

"A banker will take a guitar and play three notes on it. A rock star will take a guitar and throw it across the room. " - David Lee Roth

Re: NPD EHX Sovtek Deluxe Big Muff Pi

That looks like a heck of a pedal! Enjoy

Comment

Was in the market for one of those last year, almost pulled the trigger, but then i found the Keeley Dark Side, which is an OP Amp muff with his own mods, 3 position mid switch to go from scooped (normal muff sound), flat, and full which is the setting i use as it really allow the fuzz to cut. on the other side it has multihead tape delay, flanger, rotary, phaser and univibe. For a smaller footprint than the Sovtek I was able to get fuzz, modulation, and delay. That being said i do still lust after the Sovtek. Congrats on a great pedal
      sigpic
      Warmoth Split Jazzmaster (Zhangbucker Crushbucker UOA5 splat, Cherrick tapped)
      Dunlop Crybaby
      MXR Custom Comp
      GFS Twin Overdrive
      Boss BD-2 Bluesdriver
      Blackstar HT-DISTX
      Seymour Duncan 84-40 (Weber Grey Wolf Light Dope)

Comment

Love it. I have the bass version, which switches the parametric mids for a crossover control that helps preserve low end. Either way, a gateable blendable fuzz is one heckuva pedal. And these aren't even all that expensive (mine was right at $100).

Comment

Nice! -this is one of the only Big Muffs I don't or haven't owned -looks like a winner.

My favorite is the early 90s Russian Green one -but honestly I think the rugged styling and nostalgia for early 90s fuzz heavy music like Fu Manchu, Kyuss, and Karp makes my brain tell me it sounds better...

as I can get great sounds out of any of them.
          “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

The addition of the gate and mids control really make that a sexy pedal!
            Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
            This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Working...
            X