banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DUNCAN FORUM - help a pedal newbie out!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: DUNCAN FORUM - help a pedal newbie out!!!

so you have all those pedals? start experimenting. with a big muff based fuzz location is much less important, where as a fuzzface or tone bender needs to be first to sound best most of the time. the hoof is a great muff style fuzz pedal

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
      so you have all those pedals? start experimenting. with a big muff based fuzz location is much less important, where as a fuzzface or tone bender needs to be first to sound best most of the time. the hoof is a great muff style fuzz pedal
      No, I have been researching those pedals as options for each category!
      -=The Dali
      --== Unabashed Alex Lifeson Fan

Visit My Guitar Building Blog at www.hammersandchords.com

Comment

ahh gotcha. what do you actually own right now?

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
          ahh gotcha. what do you actually own right now?
          The only thing I have right now is the Hoof pedal. I traded a guitar for a bunch of pedals and the Hoof was one of them. I wanted to sell them, but it started me to get thinking of using pedals for the tube amp, so here we are! And I decided the Hoof might be a good one to keep.

The others I have are the Walrus Lumninary, EHX Sampler, and Wampler Ethereal - I have them for sale as I don't need $150+ pedals at this point... LOL
          -=The Dali

Comment

I am amazed at the cost-effectiveness of EHX. Most are made in USA (all?) and they can be had used for $45 - $125 in most cases. Impressive.

Notr sure if they are all good, above average pedals, but the build quality seems good. I had a Metal Muff back about 15 years and it was pretty nice.
            -=The Dali

Comment

I'll add a SD 805 to my overdrive list:

Overdrive:
              Joyo Ultimate Overdrive
              Boss SD-1
              Outlaw Effects Marhsal Overdrive
              Tone City Model M
              Barber Dirty Bomb
              EHX Crayon Overdrive
              Seymour Duncan 805
              -=The Dali

Comment

Id keep the Ethereal if you are wanting wanting both verb and delay. Depending what you really want for those two, you will spend as much on the two when you have one that will do both.

For overdrive check out the TC Electronics mojomojo, Paul Gilbert is a fan of it, its like $50. Ive played with one and honestly its a pretty good od. As for an inexpensive distortion look at the TC Electronics Dark Matter, same price, kind of an inexpensive plexi in a box.
                Last edited by Hsb; 04-16-2020, 04:50 PM.
                1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
                Jackson Soloist 7 string
                ESP LTD M-400
                Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

Originally posted by Hsb View Post
                  Id keep the Ethereal if you are wanting wanting both verb and delay. Depending what you really want for those two, you will spend as much on the two when you have one that will do both.

For overdrive check out the TC Electronics mojomojo, Paul Gilbert is a fan of it, its like $50. Ive played with one and honestly its a pretty good od. As for an inexpensive distortion look at the TC Electronics Dark Matter, same price, kind of an inexpensive plexi in a box.
                  Fair enough, let me investigate this pedal a bit more to see if that makes sense (it sounds like it does).
                  -=The Dali

Comment

Generally, for me, I need a compressor, overdrive, some kind of modulation (phaser, lately), and a delay that is controllable with an expression pedal. I have a tuner on there, too. I can get through a lot of gigs with these.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

id keep the hoof and ethereal and ditch the others. with just those two you can explore a fair amount of sonic territory and they are both damn good pedals

Comment

OK - DEEEEEEEEEEP breathe man! Settle down. [Smacks Dali in face - moderately hard] Get a grip man!!!!!

You can buy infinite pedals for infinite years and never be happy, or not ever buy another and rock on with your bad self.

Every player with an amp like that is going to want an Overdrive of some sort
                        - SD1 or TS9; Your call, watch a few Youtube vids to decide. No matter what you pick, there will always be a better one. https://youtu.be/17GJfzIvJgo
                        - The Joyo Sweet Baby gets a lot of love if cheap is your deal
                        - Think about a Mooer Green Mile also.

In the loop, as mentioned, there is basically swirl, delay and reverb.
                        - I hear you on the Reverb and will just sway go get a TC Hall of Fame and be done.

STOP RIGHT THERE and enjoy the the amp and pedals for a while!!!

That said, I'm gonna take a way different approach as you are new to this.
                        - Consider something like the Valeton. More than enough to get you through anything, and see what you like/don't. https://youtu.be/Tfz0jy6pxIA
                        - For way more fun, if you don't mind a little button pushing, try the Zoom MS70CDR https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmMewItjkwk
                        - Or try three Mooer Pedals: Mod Factory, Reecho, and Shimverb

One of the above is NEVER a bad thing to have on hand to toss in a gig bag. You can play with those a long time and then really shop around for your "choice" pedal grabs. Any of those will really let you "explore" sounds for a long time.

It does ultimately come down to what music you play though:
                        Blues? Overdrive up front, reverb in the loop
                        Straight up 70's Rock? Wah + Overdrive + Phase up front, Analog Delay and Spring Reverb in the loop
                        80's Hair? Distortion pedal up front, Digital Delay and Chorus in the loop
                        Metal? Mega-dirt pedal like that Metal Muff and Noise gate in the loop

We can go on...

I often play through a little 4 pedal Mooer board of Distortion>Boost>Chorus>Delay and get along just fine all day

I play straight into a Hughes & Kettner with an H2O for Delay chorus and that's it a lot. Or just a Delay.

My gig rig for the band is a Wah straight in, and a Zoom Multifx programmed to oblivion for assorted shades of chorus, flange, harmony, pitch shift, delay, delay and more delay, and reverb.

Every Combo amp I have has reverb on it set to 3. Other stuff often gets delay only.

But - here is a couple of choice combos you would never be unhappy with:
                        #1. 2 Pedals, 7 sounds - H2O v2 gives Chorus + Delay, and two types of each. Add a Boss RV3 that has Delay, Reverb, or Delay + Reverb (Like 8 settings)
                        #2 Digitech Chorus Factory for 7 different chorusses, a Line 6 Delay Modeler and a TC Hall of Fame

If I had that though, and had to run out and get TWO pedals right away, it would be:
                        A Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, that does way more than the TS9 (Maybe a Bad Monkey)
                        An Ibanez AD9, an MXR Carbon Copy or some sort of analog delay like that

My reverb choice would be an EHX Nano Grail, but that's me. Like I said. Hall of Fame is never a bad call.
                        Last edited by Aceman; 04-16-2020, 09:12 PM.
                        Originally posted by Bad City
                        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I kinda into the tremolo verb in front of an overdrives
                          Kinda the True Blood theme song twangy distorted reverb

That just sounds so cool
                          EHD
                          Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                          RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                          SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                          Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                          Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                          Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                          Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                          GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

I have several MIBs, many delays, reverbs; Strymons, Wamplers, Carl Martin, TS-9+, EHX, TC Electronics, MXR, etc. Now I just use 1 Zoom MS-50G as the whole pedal board chain, maybe add a volume pedal.

Comment

Thanks!!! Great replies. My buddy who has been gigging a lot longer than me just told me... "building a pedalboard... the most fun you will have with guitar"

So I'm having a blast watching clips and checking things out. You are absoilutely right Ace, I don't NEED anything right now - so I'll poke around. I do like cheap and good to hear that you like the Mooer pedals. But I also don't want to buy $300 of cheap pedals and find that they break or suck and can't get rids of them.

Keep the ideas coming - definitely leaning toward a Super Overdrive SD-1.... I mean for $50 new??? Although the reviews on the SD 805 are great.
                              -=The Dali

Comment

Also, I was playing with the Hoof Fuzz last night and I'm not sure what I'd use that for... maybe some Hendrix or Neil Young. Or White Stripes. I am more of a straight rockers/Prog guy so I might end up selling it to someone who would use it more and just pick up a cheap fuzz for misc use.... The Ethereal is really nice sounding, but seems like it has 1 or 2 sounds and not a lot of tweaking options for the Reverb.
                                -=The Dali

Comment

Working...
                                X