banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wiring a 10k resistor into a latching footswitch (FIXED!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wiring a 10k resistor into a latching footswitch

going from 0 to 10K ohms should make it think it is either fully open or fully closed, not sure which is which though. I don't understand why it wouldn't work, I doubt the software is looking for a gradual change, it's just monitoring an A/D converter that is reading the resistance.

Wait, were you going between 0 ohms and 10K ohms or between an open circuit (infinite ohms) and 10K ohms, the first one should work, the 2nd would only do something at 10K. At least that's my best guess.

Comment

Normally, it is using an expression pedal with a 10k pot. That works. But wiring just a simple on/off switch with a fixed resistor isn't working. I just wired the resistor either in series with a cable, or on the switch. Neither worked. Well, I could get it to switch once...like say the parameter is on 0, I could click the switch once and it would go to 10, but then it would stay there with successive clicks. So I am guessing the software is looking for something else.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

An expression pedal goes between 0 ohms and 10K ohms. If it is an on/off switch, you are going between 10K and an open circuit. Since it wants to see 10K and 0 ohms, put the switch and resistor in parallel, so when the switch is closed it bypasses the resistor, when the switch is open the signal is going through the 10K resistor.

It also makes it easier to add to a cable, you don't need to remove either of the conductors from the jack, just put a 10K resistor across the connectors. It can be a really small resistor too, 1/8W or smaller, there won't be much current at all going through it.

Sorry, just realized this after reading what you tried.
        Last edited by devastone; 04-19-2020, 10:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
          An expression pedal goes between 0 ohms and 10K ohms. If it is an on/off switch, you are going between 10K and an open circuit. Since it wants to see 10K and 0 ohms, put the switch and resistor in parallel, so when the switch is closed it bypasses the resistor, when the switch is open the signal is going through the 10K resistor.

It also makes it easier to add to a cable, you don't need to remove either of the conductors from the jack, just put a 10K resistor across the connectors. It can be a really small resistor too, 1/8W or smaller, there won't be much current at all going through it.

Sorry, just realized this reading after reading what you tried.
          Haha, yeah. I had 1/4 watt resistors here. But I am guessing the software doesn't know what to do when the resistor is out of the circuit. Which I think is why I was able to switch it from 0 to 100% just once, and it didn't know what to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
            Haha, yeah. I had 1/4 watt resistors here. But I am guessing the software doesn't know what to do when the resistor is out of the circuit. Which I think is why I was able to switch it from 0 to 100% just once, and it didn't know what to do.
            'xactly. And I mentioned a small resistor just because it would be easier to fit into the connector shell. If you can fit a 1/4W, that will work fine size doesn't matter in this case.
            Last edited by devastone; 04-19-2020, 10:53 AM.

Comment

OK, had some time with this project today.

Seems my effects pedal needs to see the 10k resistor between the hot and ground, not in series with either the hot or the ground. Wiring it this way appears to have worked. I wired the resistor across the jack where the cable connects to the pedal, instead of on the switch or on the pedal. I had easy access and there was plenty of room for the resistor.

Comment

Re: Wiring a 10k resistor into a latching footswitch (FIXED!)

Glad to hear that worked!

It is wired in parallel with the switch, not sure "between" is the right word, at least if you are trying to explain to someone else how to do it. What happens is when the switch is open, no signal can go through the switch so it has to go through the 10K resistor. When the switch is closed, the signal sees a 0 ohm path and essentially ignores the resistor.

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
                  Glad to hear that worked!

It is wired in parallel with the switch, not sure "between" is the right word, at least if you are trying to explain to someone else how to do it. What happens is when the switch is open, no signal can go through the switch so it has to go through the 10K resistor. When the switch is closed, the signal sees a 0 ohm path and essentially ignores the resistor.
                  Right, in parallel, not series. This makes sense now that I think about the theory behind it. It takes awhile. But I couldn't figure out how it would have worked with how I had it before.
                  But honestly, a simple on/off footswitch should have been programmed to work in the software.

Comment

Looked up the manual, those jacks seem to be only set up for expression pedals, so they want to see a specific maximum resistance, in this case 10K, so they are probably reading the voltage or current with an A/D converter. Doesn't know what to do when it doesn't see anything. Probably has something to do with being able to be either an exp pedal in, or be a control "out". Maybe a MIDI Mouse or something if you want to add some more control?

Comment

Glad it worked!

Comment

Yeah, me too.
                        I now have an extra switch I can use to control effects. BTW, the specific exp pedal I modded was this one.

Click image for larger version

Name:	thru-tone-ex-ult-expression-mod-ernie-ball.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	5818881

The resistor is wired just behind the SWITCH jack. That was easy to get to- 2 screws on the bottom and that whole plate detaches. It will be easy to go back to stock, too. And I don't have to use a special cable.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                          X