banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

While we wait even longer for new models to be released...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: While we wait even longer for new models to be released...

My G400 Worn will be arriving today!!

and...

I just got shipping notification on the TV Yellow LP Special w/P90s in my original post!!!

Comment

I hope Ampeg re-issues their tube guitar combo series... the 6v6 ones.
      If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TMD
        I called today and canceled the yellow one. I decided I didn’t want two yellow guitars that were so similar. And the red was in stock!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]104400[/ATTACH]
        I picked up a black one of these with regular humbuckers just recently on a fluke. I was really after the hard-shell case the guy was selling for $60 and low and behold what do I find inside of it? A 2013 Epi Special I that had zero signs anyone had touched it or that it had been out of the case since 2013! Funny thing is, it had those removable sticker/fret markers down the side of the neck so it was obvious to me that a beginner had just given up before even putting any time in. A couple of days later I remembered that the Epi was in the case and pulled it out to make room for the originally intended guitar. I started messing around with it and liked the weight from the slimmer body and the neck profile was right in my ballpark (chunky) so I started attempting to set it up when I saw the neck literally had 3/8" of relief! No exaggeration. I have been a machinist for 30+ years, I know what 3/8" looks like and how to measure it correctly. I pulled off the truss rod cover expecting the worst and began tightening the truss rod in small 1/4 turn increments. I stopped after 1-3/4 turns, tuned the guitar a full step flat and let it sit for about 2 days. When I had time to get back to it, I checked the relief again and saw that it still needed further adjustment. I turned it approximately 3/4 of another turn ( I personally have never done that large of a truss rod adjustment and wasn't sure how this was going to end..) and waited until the following day to re-string it and set the action like I prefer. Now for the fun part. How impossible was it going to be for me to get this thing even reasonably intonated? I had little faith due to the one piece wrap around bridge design and lack of individually adjustable saddles. I had been told by others that I would be lucky if I could get just the first 10-12 frets within reason. I now have to call B/S! I restrung it with .010's and thought my tuner had broken when it came up bang on. I did not make a single adjustment to the bridge other than overall height. Two hours later....I found myself with another accidental keeper. I love this thing. Stays in tune like a champ, even under heavy abuse, and the ceramic pickups are more than workable. No wonder the guy had given up! That thing must have been a nightmare for a beginner to try to sort out. I sent an email to the guy and told him what I had found (not to complain in any way) and what steps were needed to get it straight. I told him he was welcome to take it back and give it another shot if he wanted. I hate to see someone quit because of an unplayable guitar that could not be intonated. He thanked me and declined. Said he was moving to a smaller place and did not have room for it?
        It has become my new "beater", for lack of a better term, and I have started to become attached to the little beast. Funny because there are three other recently purchased guitars (that were specifically chosen and considerably more $) sitting right next to it wondering if I've lost my mind because of the amount of time I am giving the "Runt". (My kid named it immediately when he saw it in the rack next to the other "nicer" guitars.)
        Last edited by TSSVA1; 05-13-2020, 01:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TMD
          Sweetwater just charged my card for the LP Special, the case, Plek’ing, and strings. I am sanguine.
          Does that mean they are starting the process or sending it out?
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Mine is still is China, so it seems. Will contact Thomann next monday to find out what's going on.

What bugs me is that the order included some headphones I need for late night music production and recording, as well as other stuff, so I will press the company to do the guitar (and case, also included in the order) shipmmemt last, and send me the other stuff first.
            Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics); Ibanez SEW761FM (TB-16/STK-S7 m&n); Charvel DK24 (TB10/SSL-6/A2Pn), DK22 (HRb/SSL-6 m&n), SoCal Style1 (Distortion set) & SoCal Style2 24 2PT (Fluence OCC); ESP LTD MH-1000HS (TB-14/Lil59n); Effects: Line 6 Helix Floor, Digitech Drop & FreqOut, ME EP-1L6,Shure GLXD16, Headrush MX5;

Comment

I think one of you guys got mine...
              Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics); Ibanez SEW761FM (TB-16/STK-S7 m&n); Charvel DK24 (TB10/SSL-6/A2Pn), DK22 (HRb/SSL-6 m&n), SoCal Style1 (Distortion set) & SoCal Style2 24 2PT (Fluence OCC); ESP LTD MH-1000HS (TB-14/Lil59n); Effects: Line 6 Helix Floor, Digitech Drop & FreqOut, ME EP-1L6,Shure GLXD16, Headrush MX5;

Comment

Working...
              X