need a new single 12" combo amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need a new single 12" combo amp

Dah-dah-dum, dum, dum, she finally bit the dust...

(screen grab; Audiofanzine)

The pots got banged around; I was in the middle of the last set of my last live gig (January, dagnabbit).
    I bought this brand new in 1999, and I recorded, gigged and practiced with it every year from that point.

Now, I need something to gig with, since there's no justifying the cost of repair.
    Anything worthy of spending around $250-300 US, new or used?
    sigpic
    "Add about a half-a-teacup o' bass...."
    --'King' Curtis Ousley

Visit me on Facebook
    Originally posted by Lewguitar
    In our heart of hearts we're love. That's who we really are.

Re: need a new single 12" combo amp

Classic 30
    My Bands -
    https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
    www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
    www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
    GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

You can get an old Traynor YVC40 for about twice that price, and it's a pretty sweet little 1x12 amp. Good cleans, good OD channel, (footswitchable channel switching and boost), effects loop. The reverb on it sucks, but other than that it's well built, reliable, and sounds great.
      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Maybe the new ToneMaster Deluxe?
        Did your amp die spectacularly?
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
          Maybe the new ToneMaster Deluxe?
          Did your amp die spectacularly?
          You mean like rocket's red glare, Jimi at Monterey Pop, and shooting sparks like Frankenstein's monster come to life?
          Nope, just made a bunch of farting noises, cut in and out, then finally silence.
          We were vamping on "Uptown Funk" (KMN) until I could plug into the PA through a direct box.
          sigpic
          --'King' Curtis Ousley

Visit me on Facebook

Comment

Eh, just play direct to the sound board. It’s what page did, it's what I've started doing. Amps are just for old fogeys who won't let go of the past.

But seriously, in that price range, see if you can't find a Johnson Millenium combo. It's the only good modeling amp I've ever played. It's got tubes (although some of the best tones are pure solid state), the least powerful model has 150 watts, and they are tragically underpriced. Only downside is it weighs ~80 lbs for 212, but I've learned to come to terms with the heft and size of my Johnson.
            You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
            Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

I saw the EHX Dirt Road Special on YouTube the other day
              40 Watt solid state amp
              Smaller light inexpensive

Classic 30 is the answer thought
              EHD
              Just here surfing Guitar Pron
              RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
              SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
              Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
              Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
              Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
              Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
              GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

What about a used Cube 60 or 80?

Their distorted tones are OK at best, but the cleans hold their own to amps way more expensive. They're also bulletproof.

No FX loop though.
                Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
                Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
                Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
                Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

Originally posted by ginormous View Post
                  You mean like rocket's red glare, Jimi at Monterey Pop, and shooting sparks like Frankenstein's monster come to life?
                  Nope, just made a bunch of farting noises, cut in and out, then finally silence.
                  We were vamping on "Uptown Funk" (KMN) until I could plug into the PA through a direct box.
                  Did you try to plug it in at home after? I wonder what could have killed it...
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
                    I've learned to come to terms with the heft and size of my Johnson.
                    Best taken out of context quote ever!

Comment

I have always been a fan of the Mustang series. Mustang II, LT50 would be your single 12" options. Mustang II is discontinued, but still around used in good numbers. GTX50 and GTX100 are also single 12" options, but out of your price range (MSRP $375 and $499), and not likely to have used options yet (pretty new). The GT 100 (what the GTX series just replaced) might be around new still in some places, as it only was discontinued beginning of the year.

Comment

Originally posted by Hellmark View Post
                        I have always been a fan of the Mustang series. Mustang II, LT50 would be your single 12" options. Mustang II is discontinued, but still around used in good numbers. GTX50 and GTX100 are also single 12" options, but out of your price range (MSRP $375 and $499), and not likely to have used options yet (pretty new). The GT 100 (what the GTX series just replaced) might be around new still in some places, as it only was discontinued beginning of the year.
                        I have a Fender Mustang III v.2 w/one Celestion G12T-100 speaker and the multi-footswitch and slip cover. It's in Colorado...not Kentucky.

But it's like new, sounds great and I'd sell it to you cheap.
                        Last edited by Lewguitar; 05-08-2020, 07:17 AM.
                        “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
                          I've learned to come to terms with the heft and size of my Johnson.

If this ain't sig worthy, I don't know what is...

Comment

Originally posted by TMD
                            OP, what’s your status?
                            Waiting for my stimulus check, to make my next move. It'll probably be a Boss Katana or a used (Meridian MS) Peavey.
                            sigpic
                            --'King' Curtis Ousley

Visit me on Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                              Did you try to plug it in at home after? I wonder what could have killed it...
                              Like most MIM solid state Fender amps of that era (late 1990s), the volume pots were mounted directly to the circuit board.
                              A good bump would knock the (plastic shaft) pots clean off the traces, or even break the contacts.
                              sigpic
                              --'King' Curtis Ousley

Visit me on Facebook

Comment

Working...
                              X