need a new single 12" combo amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: need a new single 12" combo amp

80'sMetal has a Katana that I thought he was looking to sell.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
      I've learned to come to terms with the heft and size of my Johnson.

Khhmm... May... May I... May I use this quote about you Johnson in my sig?

Comment

People- I don't want to step on anybodys toes.

I tried the Boss Katana series- to *ME* - they sounded digital- fake and far away-

I ended up buying a Blackstar HT-20 mkII - because I couldn't afford a Peavey Classic 30 (the corona crisis made the dollar/nkr too bad, the amp was suddently 200 dollars more expensive).

The Blackstar is a /good sounding amp- not "great"- but covers everything from crisp cleans, to the heaviest of metal.

Though- has a digital reverb, and somewhat of a "iphone" plastic character that I hate- including the onboard USB socket...

The Peavey Classic 30 is maybe the best choice- if it's cheaper "over there" than in Norway

-Erlend
        If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

I've grown to prefer a good, solid tube amp. (too bad I own a frankenstein digital/hybrid monster)...

And would recommend one to buy something of real, troughbred quality.

What is your budget?
          If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

If I had limited money - I'd get a Fender "champion" series digital amp. It's the nicest sounding digital amps I've ever heard. And dirt cheap.

The cabinet is thin and flimsy, and the entire amp is just two microsopic print cards with IC components on it. But it sounds nice, for the buck .

My dream amp would be a Fender Princeton. With a good OD pedal infront...

Comment

OK... sorry I didn't read trough your post properly.

Comment

I really don't know why you people are addicted to this cheap-ass modern PCB cartonoid crap. Buy a 70s Traynor YGM3 and be happy. Keep it for 100 years.

Comment

i remember those traynors i think. 20w 1x12, el84, single channel with reverb and trem right? or am i thinking of something else

Comment

A used copy of the same thing, or just repair it. With an amp you've had for 21 years, even an expensive repair can often defy the logic of what's "worth it" and what's not. You're used to it. You know what to expect. You know its history. It has done the job for 21 years, so it must be doing a lot of things right, and not much wrong. I say repair rather than replace.
                    Originally posted by LesStrat
                    Yogi Berra was correct.
                    Originally posted by JOLLY
                    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

the repair will likely be less than $200
                      the new one will likely be more than $200
                      EHD
                      Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                      RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                      SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                      Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                      Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                      Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                      Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                      GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by SoPhx View Post
                        I really don't know why you people are addicted to this cheap-ass modern PCB cartonoid crap. Buy a 70s Traynor YGM3 and be happy. Keep it for 100 years.
                        Hard to find those amps. Atleast here in north norway.

Comment

Originally posted by SoPhx View Post
                          I had a YGM3 for a while . . . and while it was a lovely sounding amp for what it did, there were certainly drawbacks. The biggest one was that it just flat out doesn't work as a practice amp. There's no effects loop, and it kinda sounds like poo until it's up above yelling volume.
                          Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                          This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

^^ well. Where do you see "Non cheap-ass modern PCB cartoid crap" for sale NEW, anywhere?

Except 5000 dollar PTP amps..

Comment

You don't. But not all PCB amps are equal. Herein lies the quest...

Comment

Put a pedal in front if you need 1000 lb. bee in a bottle. An excellent all tube amp that you can buy all day for 6-800 US. Effects loop? LOL. You guys are always trying to sound like Page/whatever 70s and you want an effects loop. How about something that doesn't sound like **** to start with? Don't expect some inscrutable student model Oriental POS to sound like a professional musical instrument. They're made for kids.
                                Last edited by SoPhx; 05-28-2020, 07:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X