Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: need a new single 12" combo amp

Default Re: need a new single 12" combo amp

People- I don't want to step on anybodys toes.

I tried the Boss Katana series- to *ME* - they sounded digital- fake and far away-

I ended up buying a Blackstar HT-20 mkII - because I couldn't afford a Peavey Classic 30 (the corona crisis made the dollar/nkr too bad, the amp was suddently 200 dollars more expensive).

The Blackstar is a /good sounding amp- not "great"- but covers everything from crisp cleans, to the heaviest of metal.

Though- has a digital reverb, and somewhat of a "iphone" plastic character that I hate- including the onboard USB socket...

The Peavey Classic 30 is maybe the best choice- if it's cheaper "over there" than in Norway

-Erlend
    If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

I've grown to prefer a good, solid tube amp. (too bad I own a frankenstein digital/hybrid monster)...

And would recommend one to buy something of real, troughbred quality.

What is your budget?
    If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

If I had limited money - I'd get a Fender "champion" series digital amp. It's the nicest sounding digital amps I've ever heard. And dirt cheap.

The cabinet is thin and flimsy, and the entire amp is just two microsopic print cards with IC components on it. But it sounds nice, for the buck .

My dream amp would be a Fender Princeton. With a good OD pedal infront...

OK... sorry I didn't read trough your post properly.

Tone Member

I really don't know why you people are addicted to this cheap-ass modern PCB cartonoid crap. Buy a 70s Traynor YGM3 and be happy. Keep it for 100 years.

i remember those traynors i think. 20w 1x12, el84, single channel with reverb and trem right? or am i thinking of something else

A used copy of the same thing, or just repair it. With an amp you've had for 21 years, even an expensive repair can often defy the logic of what's "worth it" and what's not. You're used to it. You know what to expect. You know its history. It has done the job for 21 years, so it must be doing a lot of things right, and not much wrong. I say repair rather than replace.
    Quote Originally Posted by LesStrat View Post
    Yogi Berra was correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by JOLLY View Post
    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

the repair will likely be less than $200
    the new one will likely be more than $200
    EHD
    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Quote Originally Posted by SoPhx View Post
    I really don't know why you people are addicted to this cheap-ass modern PCB cartonoid crap. Buy a 70s Traynor YGM3 and be happy. Keep it for 100 years.
    Hard to find those amps. Atleast here in north norway.

Quote Originally Posted by SoPhx View Post
    I had a YGM3 for a while . . . and while it was a lovely sounding amp for what it did, there were certainly drawbacks. The biggest one was that it just flat out doesn't work as a practice amp. There's no effects loop, and it kinda sounds like poo until it's up above yelling volume.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

^^ well. Where do you see "Non cheap-ass modern PCB cartoid crap" for sale NEW, anywhere?

Except 5000 dollar PTP amps..

Tone Member

You don't. But not all PCB amps are equal. Herein lies the quest...

Tone Member

Put a pedal in front if you need 1000 lb. bee in a bottle. An excellent all tube amp that you can buy all day for 6-800 US. Effects loop? LOL. You guys are always trying to sound like Page/whatever 70s and you want an effects loop. How about something that doesn't sound like **** to start with? Don't expect some inscrutable student model Oriental POS to sound like a professional musical instrument. They're made for kids.
    Last edited by SoPhx; 05-28-2020 at 06:56 PM.

Mojo's Minions

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarStv View Post
    I had a YGM3 for a while . . . and while it was a lovely sounding amp for what it did, there were certainly drawbacks. The biggest one was that it just flat out doesn't work as a practice amp. There's no effects loop, and it kinda sounds like poo until it's up above yelling volume.
    ha. I love those amps but many are sealed with a weird Canadian torx or Robertson screw head to get into the back and see the speaker in a store -which annoys me because when I play them in a store and the they sound different or not as expected, I want to know what speaker is loaded or what mod was done -as you know Traynors are one of the most modded and tweaked amp because .....well they are the easiest to in most cases because of the layout and access. but those damn screws in a Guitarmate drive me crazy,
    Last edited by NegativeEase; 05-28-2020 at 08:31 PM.
    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

have you tried a Roland Bolt? most people don't like the overdrive channel (although I find you can coax nice low gain tones out of it), but the clean channel is to die for - clear even with the volume dimed, which you'll rarely have to do (it can get so loud)

they're all 1x12 but you can get a 30,60, or 100 (denoting the number of watts). I've got one and I'm rarely above a three on the volume.

has an effects loop, reverb, footswitch to turn the overdrive on or off etc. - the works

It's a solid state preamp, but tube power - so you get a solid state kinda overdrive, but then on the clean channel, a beautiful tube sound. really great for jazz/surf/anything clean, and as soon as you need gain, just chuck a couple of pedals in front and you're there. if you really want that tube sound, get a pedal with a tube on it.

With so many people recommending used amps, there’s really no reason not to buy a Hughes & Kettner ATS-Sixty.

Reggie, if you can come up with the freight you can have my Mustang III for free. It's a great amp.
    “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Quote Originally Posted by Lewguitar View Post
    Reggie, if you can come up with the freight you can have my Mustang III for free. It's a great amp.
    there ya go

solution in hand
    EHD
    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Quote Originally Posted by ehdwuld View Post
    there ya go

solution in hand
    I can't think of anyone more deserving.
    “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Quote Originally Posted by NegativeEase View Post
    ha. I love those amps but many are sealed with a weird Canadian torx or Robertson screw head to get into the back and see the speaker in a store -which annoys me because when I play them in a store and the they sound different or not as expected, I want to know what speaker is loaded or what mod was done -as you know Traynors are one of the most modded and tweaked amp because .....well they are the easiest to in most cases because of the layout and access. but those damn screws in a Guitarmate drive me crazy,
    I'm sorry man . . . but the Robertson screw head is the greatest invention in screwing since birth control. I have no idea why you backwards Americans haven't adopted them wholesale and still insist on stupid Phillips or slot for most things. :P
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.