Shiny New Amp Day ! ! !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shiny New Amp Day ! ! !

I don't think there are any shinier amps?? Wow. So Not me but.... Anyhow. Tada!
    I got the ok from the boss lady to spend a few bills on another amp. (You know for different sounds while recording)
    Hunted long and hard for something I could justify spending some tax refund money on.....
    Just about gave up, found this one down in PHX off Facebook marketplace. Texted the guy, met him this morning. Just got home with it and plugged it in.
    Wow! I think it's really going to compliment these Marshalls in a good way.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200419_101919465~2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	147.3 KB
ID:	5853803
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200419_101931015.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	5853804

Here's literally my first few minutes with the amp.
    It's had a single owner, still original tubes, by looking at the guy I don't think it's been really turned up ever. Not a scratch on it.

Recommend some tubes for it.
    I'll assume JJ's are going to be fine although I am partial to EHX.

This thing needs nothing in front of it! I could play a show without a single pedal if I wanted to! Maybe stick a delay in the loop or something.

Not that I ever use a clean channel, this one is fabulous!

Dirt channels have a touch of hiss to them, maybe new tubes will help, maybe just use my noise gate pedal.
    That Joe guy certainly knows his stuff, after watching a few vids on the amp.

Happy so far!
    Last edited by 80's_Metal; 04-19-2020, 12:14 PM.
    Go buy my book. https://www.amazon.com/dp/198405564X

Re: Shiny New Amp Day ! ! !

It Chugs!!!!
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

What does it weigh? If it is less than my 85.3 pound JSX combo, I am officially jealous.
      I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

54lbs!

Comment

Congrats!

Sent from my REVVLPLUS C3701A using Tapatalk

Comment

[QUOTE=80's_Metal;4411497]
            Recommend some tubes for it.
            I'll assume JJ's are going to be fine although I am partial to EHX.

This thing needs nothing in front of it! I could play a show without a single pedal if I wanted to! Maybe stick a delay in the loop or something.

Not that I ever use a clean channel, this one is fabulous!

Dirt channels have a touch of hiss to them, maybe new tubes will help, maybe just use my noise gate pedal.
            That Joe guy certainly knows his stuff, after watching a few vids on the amp.

Happy so far!
            Cool amps. Will recommend you look at the new Mullard short plate 4004's. Tried 4 at first in several amps I have and was impressed. Just bought another 5 like them so well.
            These guys have the best price I have found and have had really good luck with them. They have been spot on with the gain numbers they wrote on the boxes and no issues with several different orders and tube types.
            There are two versions of the reissue Mullard 12AX7. This version is better suited for guitar amplifiers. This tube was molded after the British military CV4004. CV4004 is the military code for the 12AX7 and was designed to be more rugged.

Fat smooth and very low noise. Replaced most of the factory JJ's in my PRS MT 15 with them ( left a tested high gain JJ in V1) and it really opened and brightened the amp up plus knocked the noise floor down a bunch. Have a bunch of different preamp tubes on hand and these are really nice. High gain very quiet, smooth and fat sounding but not near as muddy as JJ's.
            Guitars
            Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
            Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Very nice! My brother has a JSX combo and loves it.

Buddy of mine has a JSX head and runs JJ tubes in his with great results.
              Everything in this post is the sole opinion of the author. The author makes no claims that his word is final, only that the opinions expressed are those of the author and any similiarities to the opinions of others is purely coincidental.

Comment

I've had mine new since 2004. Lots of other amps have by the wayside after going toe to toe with my Joe...

Last edited by Van Noord; 04-19-2020, 08:44 PM.
                ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
                ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
                ••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Comment

Krank grill to match! I love it!

Comment

Originally posted by 80's_Metal View Post
                    Krank grill to match! I love it!
                    That clip you posted is probably the best high gain tone I've heard from you yet.
                    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
                    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
                    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Comment

Very cool!! Congrats!

Comment

Originally posted by 80's_Metal View Post
                        54lbs!
                        I did not need to see that! Well, my wallet did not need to see that...

Regarding tubes, I run JJ 6CA7s in the power section of my combo. This after a longstanding EL34 vs. 6L6 ...errr "debate" with a JSX owner here in town. But consider that my biggest concern was losing the clean channel tone of my Triple XXX if I replaced it with a JSX. My PI is a Sovtek 12AX7LPS which is my go to PI. The preamp tubes are still the original EHX 12AX7s, which I was never a fan of until they were stock in both my Triple XXX and JSX.
                        I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

Originally posted by Van Noord View Post
                          That clip you posted is probably the best high gain tone I've heard from you yet.
                          Thanks! I'm getting a little better with the recording process.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesPaul View Post
                            I did not need to see that! Well, my wallet did not need to see that...
                            Well deals can be found. I was hunting amps for months before stumbling across this dead mint jsx locally.
                            I didn't pay very much for it at all! I mean....I practically stole this thing.

Comment

Chugolicious!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X