Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Plek’d

Tone Member

Default Re: Plek’d

Quote Originally Posted by devastone View Post
    The crown and polish are the time consuming parts of fret leveling, and the Plek doesn't let you bypass those. The machine isn't saving the luthier huge amounts, or possibly any, time on a fret job.
    Did you check out what Plek does - it level and crown, pretty sure that includes rough polish as well.
    https://plek.com/technology/processing/

That is what cnc machines are really good at.
    There is no way that this machine would pay for itself in the Plek shops if the time consuming part with crowning and all weren't done.
    As you said, and I discovered, was that leveling is the quick part.

I can imagine a final run with polish paste, wire edges is done manually, and removal some dirt or so and then stringing it up.

Sadly I got a Recording King acoustic that needed polish as I bought it, and having a Dremel this is 15 minutes job.
    You felt with finger that surface was rough and doing a bend it made a noise and string made a pull-off almost by itself.

I even refretted a guitar, where I did not have to do anything, wires are nice as delivered - so not sure what's going on and Recording King factories - are using used fret wires, or what. Or make their own maybe.
    Lovely sounding guitar though.

Quote Originally Posted by TMD View Post
    I’ve decided to do it. I’m going to have my $399 Epiphone Plek’d. If I don’t like the result, you can all say, “I told you so.”
    I'm not going to wait until after you have it done. I'm going to tell you right now..."I told you so".
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

I always assumed the plek did it all except final polishing, I mean if they can do leveling why wouldn't they do crowning?
    You'd think the crowns would all be nearly identical this way. It's probably all in the programming/programmer.

Here’s a scope of services for a company that offers Pleking.

Name:  C8621AF9-8C2F-4CAC-BE38-FAD909F9C986.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  49.6 KB

OH THE DOUBLE THICK GLAZE! Clint 55's Avatar

Don't spend money on having nickel frets worked on. They'll wear in a year and require more work.
    Quote Originally Posted by NegativeEase View Post
    I'd wager that Clint can best GuitarStv at Wat and WAAAT... but not Watts.

I think in the International System of Units (SI) a "WAT" is defined as a derived unit of 1 Clint bersmirchment per hour

and WAAAT is defined as a derived unit of 1 Clint kilojoule of descried Nirvana transgression per post.

Quote Originally Posted by Clint 55 View Post
    Don't spend money on having nickel frets worked on. They'll wear in a year and require more work.
    I don’t play my guitars much. I probably take ten years to wear a fret down as much as a normal person does in one.

Tone Member

Quote Originally Posted by TMD View Post
    Here’s a scope of services for a company that offers Pleking.
    These folks seem to have better marketing department than manufacturer of Plek machines themselves that I linked to.
    Sound much more attractive to go ahead and send guitar in.

Clint, I never thought of you as reality-challenged.... The simple truth is there are far too many people and their guitars proving your statement to be utter bull****.

What are you talking about? It may take a while before the frets get worn so much as to buzz. But you can cut through a fresh level and polish on nickel frets in a week.

I think in the International System of Units (SI) a "WAT" is defined as a derived unit of 1 Clint bersmirchment per hour

and WAAAT is defined as a derived unit of 1 Clint kilojoule of descried Nirvana transgression per post.

Quote Originally Posted by Larioso View Post
    These folks seem to have better marketing department than manufacturer of Plek machines themselves that I linked to.
    Sound much more attractive to go ahead and send guitar in.
    In my case, I’m having a new guitar Plek’d that I’m buying from them. I won’t see the guitar before it gets Plek’d. For all I know, Pleking might make it worse, and I would never know the difference.

Ultimate Tone Member

Quote Originally Posted by ICTGoober View Post
    Clint, I never thought of you as reality-challenged.... The simple truth is there are far too many people and their guitars proving your statement to be utter bull****.
    I'm with Tnilc on this one. At lest to some extent. You know better than I do that not all nickel frets are equal. On one of my Jacksons the frets are particularly soft. About 2 years old and already dents under frequently bent positions. Another Jackspn fromsame factory, different model year has barely any visible wear. And I play them about equally: 5-6 hours a week. Or maybe less, cause the axes are piling up and I play them in a rotation.

Nickel silver frets are the norm, and they have given good service to millions of players for decades without needing leveling or touching up. Clint's post makes it sound like nickel silver frets are worthless, which is just not true.

Ultimate Tone Member

The truth might be somewhere in between. I agree that I'd hate to spend several hundred on frets as soft as the one I described in my previous post. But I also agree that that nickel is indeed the norm and if good quality, then nothing wrong with them.

I got a Gibson Les Paul Tribute plek'd and it was a dramatic difference. Before, the frets were nearly flat-topped, fret nibs protruded beyond the fretboard, corian nut was awful tonally. I had had the guitar for years and rarely played it because the setup was terrible and the frets would chew up your hands. For whatever reason, one night I looked into the Plek machine and found a repair shop locally that had one. I called the next day and talked with the owner about the issues and my reservations with the Plek. The owner thoroughly explained the process and assured me it was worth the investment. Long story short, this guitar plays amazing and is by far the best playing Les Paul I have, even though it is the least expensive. Factor in the price of the plek job and it still is less money. It wasn't cheap, but definitely made a less expensive guitar play like my higher-end guitars.

https://www.13thstreetguitars.com/plek-1#plek

Nickel silver frets are the norm, and they have given good service to millions of players for decades without needing leveling or touching up. Clint's post makes it sound like nickel silver frets are worthless, which is just not true.
    Yeah they work. But for me personally, I don't want to spend an entire day off doing a nice level and then have the strings cut into them after a short time wtf? When I could just use ss frets and have absolutely no wear ever. That's why I don't recommend it to people.

Fret wear varies a lot from one player to another.
    If you play with a lot of left hand pressure and use one guitar all the time, wear can happen unusually fast.
    If you use a light touch and play multiple guitars, nickel frets can last a long time before they need attention.
    "My hovercraft is full of eels."

A PLEK is only as good as it is used. You need to do the corrects scans/measurements beforehand, and you need to set the thing to actually crown the frets. And after the machine is done, you need to finish the job by hand. Some guitar makers obviously skip some of these steps. The purpose of the PLEK is not to give you a finished product that is perfect, but to eliminate the time consuming grunt work, so a human can come in and do only the finishing touches. It's the fret equivalent of a CNC machine cutting bodies and necks. The CNC quickly knocks out the grunt work, so a human can come in and only have to spend time doing the finishing touches by hand. You don't send a CNCd body straight to be painted, and similarly, you don't send a PLEKd guitar out the door right out of the machine...though I'm pretty sure some manufactures do this. E.g. IMO Gibson's fretwork, which was already rough, got even worse when they started using the PLEK...because they were using it as a do-it-all fretwork tool, i.e. an excuse to totally skip the human labor involved in final fretwork.

So, again, a PLEK is only as useful as the person using it is good at what they do.
    Last edited by ItsaBass; 04-23-2020 at 05:33 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by LesStrat View Post
    Yogi Berra was correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by JOLLY View Post
    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Tone Member

I had a Epi Sheraton II that had a dent in every fret wire up to 12th or so - on 2nd string mostly, almost exclusively.
    It was used for slide work I assume and obviously hit the wires a lot going up and down the neck.

A skilled luthier fixed that without refretting. $100 charge just about.

Guessing if wires are high enough, you could tell a Plek to do all wires equally or similar. So having at least 0.8 mm or so left could be OK.
    Doing this by hand is not a dream come true for any luthier. I think it's cheaper to refret.

I bought a guitar that had 0.6 mm left and that certainly needed refretting, you feel fretboard before you want to.
    New wires being 1.2 mm - that made all the difference.

Doing this by hand is not a dream come true for any luthier. I think it's cheaper to refret.
    On the contrary, for most luthiers - new nuts and fret levels are our bread and butter. And refret is always more expensive because it's 3 times as much work, plus the costs of frets.

Tone Member

On the contrary, for most luthiers - new nuts and fret levels are our bread and butter. And refret is always more expensive because it's 3 times as much work, plus the costs of frets.
    You picked my comment out of context.
    It was only meant like for the situation where every fret needs be taken down 0.10-0.15 mm all over neck to get rid of such dent I mentioned.

Still good business to charge for leveling?

Just assuming that is more than a regular leveling you normally do and price is set for.