Egnater tweaker - this tube look ok?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Egnater tweaker - this tube look ok?

Ok... so I’m trying to learn to love this little tweaker head. There is something wrong with it, however. I originally thought I just didn’t know how to use it but the volume just doesn’t work unless it is at 2pm. And the distortion is not sounding right. It cracked and wavers. Eventually it gets right and works for a while but if the amp sits it kinda goes back to not sounding right. It doesn’t always sound off but it does enough to make me think it isn’t me but something being wrong.

I’m wondering if the tubes have issues. I took them all out and cleaned with deoxit and cleaned the chassis. I took out the two power tubes and both had this silver blemish. Does this look right??

When I first got this I was immediately underwhelmed... and it wasn't loud at all. And then after a few days it seemed to start to play ok and sound normal, but it still didn't get really loud... and now it doesn't appear to be working right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by The Dali; 04-20-2020, 08:38 PM.
    -=The Dali
    --== Unabashed Alex Lifeson Fan

Visit My Guitar Building Blog at www.hammersandchords.com

Re: Egnater tweaker - this tube look ok?

In addition, the preamp tubes do not glow at all. From what I can tell. They have metal covers which are spring loaded. I took them off to see if they glowed but they didn’t show any color. Of course, maybe they need the covers on to work...?

Last edited by The Dali; 04-20-2020, 08:39 PM.
    -=The Dali

Comment

How do they look when they're running? Usually a bad tube will have white oxidation when it's cold and a purpleish glow throughout the tube when it's running.

Comment

The two power tubes have an orange light on the tips/top. No purple

-=The Dali

Comment

Ok. So you know I’m not crazy. A quick vid. Does this sound like tube issues??

-=The Dali

Comment

Do you have an extra set of power tubes you can try?

Tweaker 15 is a good amp. I run KT66’s in mine (had to remove the top cover).

Comment

Originally posted by The Dali View Post
              In addition, the preamp tubes do not glow at all. From what I can tell. They have metal covers which are spring loaded. I took them off to see if they glowed but they didn’t show any color. Of course, maybe they need the covers on to work...?

I don’t think they necessarily need the bear traps to work. You can also try reseating all of the tubes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by The Dali View Post
                The two power tubes have an orange light on the tips/top. No purple

That seems normal. Purple means air is starting to leak in. Not much. Much means that the filiments will oxidize. Thus the white powder.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

The "silver blemish" is normal. It's the getter flash.

On your vid, it definitely sounds like a tube issue. Honestly, it wouldn't hurt to grab an extra set of tubes just to have spares.

What kind of tubes are in the preamp? Are they Ruby as well? Preamp tubes don't glow as much as power tubes because they don't get as hot.

The preamp tubes don't need the tube shields to work. The shields are just to reject electrical interferance.

Comment

Those sound like classic symptoms of tube failure. I would simply replace them.

If that doesn't fix the issue, pots would be next possible culprit. Egnater uses really cheap miniature ones...
                    "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
                    Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
                      The "silver blemish" is normal. It's the getter flash.

On your vid, it definitely sounds like a tube issue. Honestly, it wouldn't hurt to grab an extra set of tubes just to have spares.

What kind of tubes are in the preamp? Are they Ruby as well? Preamp tubes don't glow as much as power tubes because they don't get as hot.

The preamp tubes don't need the tube shields to work. The shields are just to reject electrical interferance.
                      I think the preamp tubes is are sovtek but I’ll check in the morning.

EDIT - yes, confirmed Sovtek
                      Last edited by The Dali; 04-21-2020, 11:12 AM.
                      -=The Dali

Comment

Originally posted by Jacew View Post
                        Those sound like classic symptoms of tube failure. I would simply replace them.

If that doesn't fix the issue, pots would be next possible culprit. Egnater uses really cheap miniature ones...
                        I was thinking my next step would be to replace all 5 tubes.

-=The Dali

Comment

Just ordered some JJs 6v6S and JJs ECC83s for the preamp. Let's hope that is the issue!
                          -=The Dali

Comment

Replace them. Mine's never done that, and in fact I've never had tube failure.
                            I'm running EHX 6CA7 in the power section, they heat up like crazy but they give some extra oomph. Let's hope that tube swap fixes it.
                            Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
                            Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
                            Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
                            Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

That doesn't sound right...

I hope it is just the tubes, although when tubes fail for me, it isn't just a loss of power like that- I usually get the high whine.
                              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                              X