No announcement yet.

Egnater tweaker - this tube look ok?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Egnater tweaker - this tube look ok?

Wavey... That's a strange problem for sure. I had similar issue with old tubes in Rebel, but that out of the way, I think Demanic is on right trail; probably a power problem.

If power conditioner doesn't solve it, I would change rectifier diodes. Pretty cheap and easy fix, and could cause that problem. After that... PT?
    "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
    Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

I think early-gen Tweakers had serious reliability issues and would pop tubes and resistors like crazy.
      Mine hasn't had issues in 7 years.
      Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
      Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
      Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
      Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

Originally posted by Diego View Post
        I think early-gen Tweakers had serious reliability issues and would pop tubes and resistors like crazy.
        Mine hasn't had issues in 7 years.
        I think they had transformer issues after a bad batch from a supplier, compounded by Egnater telling folks they could swap larger tubes (EL34 and 6L6 varieties) in without any rebiasing, which helped overstress the (already marginal) transformers.

I picked up a used 15 watt combo, and will confirm that the OP's isn't right; at full tilt this thing will blow your skirt up.

Larry

Comment

The amp is loud but only with distortion. Which could be a result of tubes in general, but the clean volume on this is crazy low.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          -=The Dali
          --== Unabashed Alex Lifeson Fan

Visit My Guitar Building Blog at www.hammersandchords.com

Comment

Have you opened the chassis and looked at the PCB? Blown screen grid resistors can cause this kind of thing and can be a common problem they are often not slightly overspecd to safely handle the wattage goin through them, they are probably bigger white rectangular jobs near the power tube sockets
            Check for anything looking burnt or melted

Can try spraying electrical contract cleaner on tube pins and gently inserting and removing them sometimes

There's an fx loop right? Contact cleaner on a 1/8 plug and run that in and out of the fx loop jacks can help sometimes too

Sounds like there's some component that is failed or loose somewhere but the tweaker is notorious for cooking tubes, running em hot, totes could be a screen resistor or failed tube socket or trace on the PCB starting to lift from heat, or some loose or dying cap or resistor

There's a possibility the speaker connection is loose or dirty so double check that if you can too

If this is over your head or anything at all then don't poke around with the amp plugged in! Safety first!

Had a deluxe reverb that had issues like this but was also popping fuses and turned out was screen grid resistor, $40 fix. But yeah take it to a tech is really my best advice

Comment

Thanks. I actually contacted my buddy and he said no worries and took it back. No questions. I’m moving on and looking at different options -even at some hybrids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              -=The Dali
              --== Unabashed Alex Lifeson Fan

Visit My Guitar Building Blog at www.hammersandchords.com

Comment

Originally posted by The Dali View Post
                Hi, you are saying the Egnater runs really hot and can eat the PT? The RCA would be a better fit for that temp?
                Yes that is what my tech ended putting in mine and they've lasted for 5-6 years so far
                My Bands -
                https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
                www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
                www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
                GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Working...
                X