banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Guitar Rig would you prefer? (rack vs pedalboard)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Which Guitar Rig would you prefer? (rack vs pedalboard)

Your preamp should be able to let you know what the output level is. Here is the quick start guide to the PS700.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
      Yeah, I’m just wondering if there are any potential impedance or level issues that might arise, not wondering if it will function.
      The only issue is the fx loop of the amp. If it runs in series, you are good to go. If it runs in parallel the results will be less than desirable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
        Yeah, I’m just wondering if there are any potential impedance or level issues that might arise, not wondering if it will function.
        No problem at all, the loops are between the preamp and power amp, you are just substituting another preamp. If the loop is parallel, it should still be fine if you set the mix to 100%, but as stated, a series loop is probably preferable.

Comment

Good call on the series loop. I think three amps have a series, one of them having both series and paralllel.

I’ll probably just stalk Ebay and Reverb to see if either show up at a decent price.
          Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Here's my current "all pedals" rig:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0022.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	5818991

The Palmer Pocket Amp acts as the amp simulator. No amplifier, just DI.

Comment

There's actually more to it than that. It’s actually two rigs. The Palmer pedal rig is used with my Peavey Riptide, a Telecaster like guitar. I’m now using an Epiphone Les Paul with the Rockman rack components. The levels and EQ of those guitars are very different. The plan is for the rigs to share the DI before going to the board.

Name:	IMG_0028.jpg
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	5818992

The whole thing is a work in progress.

Comment

Originally posted by rbc View Post
                The whole thing is a work in progress.
                Always true... when people say “It’s complete!” You know it never is.
                Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Seems like Michael Nielsen has posted a JMP-1 video and prices have temporarily shot through the roof.

...however depending on the situation, other rack gear is available quite affordably...
                  Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Ran a JMP-1 9200 set up for while and wish i still had it.
                    My grab and go play our rig today is the little PRS MT 15 head and a pedal board with a Delay and Verb that run in the loop then a Wah and a compressor into the front end. Run whichever cab that is appropriate for where I am playing and have a closed back 2/12 late 1980's Fender a Tweaker 1/12 and a Blackstar 1/12 plus the little Ax Track iso cab to chose from.
                    This is the entire play out rig, my gig bag, the MT 15 head, AX Track Iso cab, pedal board and my Stand for a silent stage gig.

Name:	MT 15 AX Trac play out rig.jpg
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	5818996
                    Last edited by Ascension; 05-03-2020, 10:31 PM.
                    Guitars
                    Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                    Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

My entire play out rig fits in a 2u rack (midi pedalboard, cables, mic/guitar stand included). I can bring a powered PA speaker when needed.

Comment

I plugged my ADA MP-1 back in again. It desperately needs servicing, but it sounds so dashed good. Once I get it done, I will definitely set up a 4U rig with it, the TC Electronic G-System and my bare-bones Marshall 9040 power amp, with a Boss DC-2W hidden in the back as a secret weapon. It might not be trendy, but it still sounds great.

Comment

So... I’ve got this big black heavy cube in my basement...
                          Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Here's another attempt at going small. I picked up a little Donner Alpha Cruncher:

Name:	IMG_0029.jpg
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	5819138

I'll probably wind up with a Carl Martin Quattro because it adds the compressor, but the Donner Alpha Cruncher goes a long way for few dollars.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                              Never understood a rack wah. Like, never in 55 years have I ever looked down at my crybaby and thought, “Gee, if only this had presets.”
                              The rackmount crybaby doesn't have presets. It was created with the idea of using a wireless on a large stage so no signal cables would have to leave the rack; it also allows multiple wah controllers to be connected at the same time.
                              Last edited by dystrust; 06-17-2020, 09:33 PM. Reason: derpy derp... reading comprehension
                              Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                              And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

I had a rack for a while in the mid-2000s with an ADA MP-1 and Soldano SP-77 (at different times) as well as a borrowed Marshall JMP-1, first into a Marshall 9005 and later with a borrowed Mesa 50/50 or Simul 395, but I was never 100% happy with the tone. I was able to channel the sounds of several of my influences; JMP-1 into Mesa 50/50 was instant Megadeth - Cryptic Writings, while the Soldano did a great Alice in Chains tone. The ADA MP-1 is a classic in its own right; Metallica, Smashing Pumpkins, etc. As cool as those were, I just liked my Marshall Jubilee 2555 better, and the only rackmount solution for those tones (at the time) was an Egnater or Randall modular preamp with a pretty expensive modded module. Despite never being completely happy with the tone of my rack, it was wonderful being able to switch sounds with almost zero tap dancing.

When I ditched the rack, I ran an H&K combo amp along with the Jubilee using an A/B box. The tones were pretty much everything I wanted, but the tap-dancing was a bit much for a singer, and it was a lot of hardware to carry. I suppose I could've built a similar rack to what I'm considering now, but I just didn't have the money back then. I went back to the Jubilee and an old school board for about a decade before building my current board in 2017:

This board allows me to emulate the dual amp rig with just the 2555 or 2525H, with the added benefit of getting pretty close to the MP-1 solid state clean courtesy of the CS-3. The downside is that I still have to tap dance, even if the loop master reduces it somewhat. I've had low-level rack GAS on and off over the years, but picking up a Lexicon MPX-1 for my studio rack was a turning point. Of course I had to patch it into the Jubilee loop and take it for a spin; of course it sounded amazing, and now I'm seriously pondering the 'what ifs' of a rack again. Perhaps a final straw on the proverbial camel's back is having a practice rig consisting of a POD and ADA MC-1 midi controller, so there's a convenient reminder of those wonderful single button patch changes.

The rack I've been pondering has far more in common with the 'Mini Rack of Doom' than the behemoth at the beginning of this thread. I've carried a 10-space shock rack, and that isn't something I ever intend to do again if I can possibly avoid it. Since I've never been happy with a rackmount preamp, I'm going to run it with either the 2555 or 2525H using 4-cable method. I'm thinking 6 spaces along these lines:
                                • 1U rear-mounted interface
                                • Furman PL+ power conditioner
                                • TC Electronic G-Force
                                • Voodoo Lab GCX
                                • 2U sliding pedal shelf

I'm picking TC over a second MPX-1 here because I like the TC better for everything except reverb, and the MPX-1 has a pretty slow load time. I'm thinking G-Force over G-Major 2 for the increased routing flexibility, deeper editing options, and far more solid build quality. I had an original G-Major suffer the typical broken encoder, and I've heard that the G-Major 2 isn't built much if any better. I've also been lusting over one for 15 years and the prices are finally in the realm I can seriously consider.

For GCX loops, I'm currently thinking of something like this, all in front of the amp:
                                1. BOSS MIJ CS-3
                                2. Line 6 M9
                                3. Wampler Tumnus
                                4. Homebrew Electronics UFO
                                5. Fulltone GT-500
                                6. ----------
                                7. ----------
                                8. channel switch

That'll leave me with a volume pedal, wah, and tuner on the floor. For a foot controller, I'm planning to pick up an RJM Mastermind LT with a Mission Engineering expression pedal. I'd really love a Mastermind GT-10, but they're out of my price range and a bit bigger than I really want to deal with. I've had a Ground Control Pro and they're pretty easy to program, but RJM has a PC editor with the ability to back up all of your patches, songs, and setlists. The Mastermind LT is also significantly smaller than a GCP for not much more money. I know racks aren't super cool these days, but it's a topic I've always enjoyed for what I'm guessing are similar reasons to the OP.
                                Last edited by dystrust; 06-18-2020, 08:59 AM.
                                Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                                And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Working...
                                X